• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish Football 2012 - 2013 Season

kevchenko wrote:
    Originally posted by Mr Beast
    One Airdrieonians was bad enough, Kev.

Their rough house team of the 80's had to be seen to be believed - nearly 30 years later I can still hardly believe it.
    The name returns.
    Looks like the badge is coming back. Altogether now

'Two Lions and a Chicken on my shirt
    B&Q cup still gleaming'

Comment

The name returns?

So Clydebank FC then?

Got to laugh at that BBC report- "Airdrie United will return to their traditional name Airdrieonians"

Airdrie United were never known as Airdrieonians, that entity went bust in 2002.Fuckimg woeful reporting but unsurprising.

I know this word has been recently proscribed on OTF but Airdrie in whatever entity- cunts. The lot of them.

Comment

Puts me in mind of a comment in an old Thistle fanzine a few years ago, when talk first arose of Airdrie moving from Broomfield to the as-yet-unbuilt ShyberryExcelsiorNewBroomfieldYourCompanysNameHere Stadium:

"Will there still be a Section B, and will they still wank, wank, wank?"

The name doesn't matter, we all know who - and what - they are.

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: The name returns?

So Clydebank FC then?
          Yeah, I didn't phrase that right at all. Sorry.

Got to laugh at that BBC report- "Airdrie United will return to their traditional name Airdrieonians"

Airdrie United were never known as Airdrieonians, that entity went bust in 2002.Fuckimg woeful reporting but unsurprising.

I know this word has been recently proscribed on OTF but Airdrie in whatever entity- cunts. The lot of them.
          Amen.

Comment

I certainly wasn't meaning to have a go at you kev, sorry if it came out that way. That article you linked was the target of my ire and of course Airdire.

Comment

No worries.

Anyone know the answer to my question on the previous page? Will the Scottish Cup have only three Junior teams next season?

Comment

kevchenko wrote: With Talbot doing the double, and both finalists having won their leagues, does another junior team get to play in the Scottish Cup next season?
                They don't I'm afraid, in this instance it goes down to three places. So it'll be Auchinleck, Linlithgow & Culter.

I usually do a spreadsheet towards the end of the season to keep an eye on the entrants for the Cup, here's my version for 2013/14.

It's not definitive, but I think it's fairly accurate.

Comment

In Thistle news Archibald & the board have been busy resigning the core of our team to longer contracts, that's Stephen O'Donnell, Kris Doolan, Scott Fox, James Craigen, Aaron Muirhead, and today Stuart Bannigan all signed up until May 2015. Surprised and delighted they got Bannigan tied up for another year, I thought he was all but guaranteed to leave on FOC at the end of next season.

Hopefully Lawless and Balatoni will follow.

Comment

I know it's controversial but I've some sympathy with Airdrie fans. What happened to Clydebank was terrible and does Airdrie no credit but as ever these are decisions taken at a higher level than the average supporters. Airdrie is a footballing town, their club had a decent support by Scottish standards and they'd a long history of senior football, whatever we feel about their style of play in the 80s or a section of their support.

Unlike England they couldn't reform in the Lanarkshire sunday league and work their way back up the ladder, that wasn't an option available to them. Had they not taken Clydebank's place they'd have lost their club, that Clydebank had to lose theirs is very unfair and I fully understand why Clydebank fans in particular will always bear a grudge. None of this is meant to lessen or excuse what happened to Clydebank, just point out that Airdrie aren't an MK Dons and the position they found themselves in was difficult all round.

Yeah, probably not my best post.

Comment

As long as you have a closed league, that sort of things are bound to happen from time to time.

Comment

Neiljag wrote:
                        Originally posted by kevchenko
                        With Talbot doing the double, and both finalists having won their leagues, does another junior team get to play in the Scottish Cup next season?
                        They don't I'm afraid, in this instance it goes down to three places. So it'll be Auchinleck, Linlithgow & Culter.

I usually do a spreadsheet towards the end of the season to keep an eye on the entrants for the Cup, here's my version for 2013/14.

It's not definitive, but I think it's fairly accurate.
                        That's brilliant Neil cheers. I hadn't realised that league placings affected where the EoS, Highland and SoS teams came into the draw, thought it was just a straight first round with byes for a number of teams.

Comment

AMMS wrote:

I know it's controversial but I've some sympathy with Airdrie fans. What happened to Clydebank was terrible and does Airdrie no credit but as ever these are decisions taken at a higher level than the average supporters. Airdrie is a footballing town, their club had a decent support by Scottish standards and they'd a long history of senior football, whatever we feel about their style of play in the 80s or a section of their support.
                          Sorry AMMS, I’m not having that, not one little bit. I’m very surprised someone in your position vis a vis your own club would put forward the argument you have.

If the fans and Ballantyne had really wanted to save the name Airdrieonians, they would have lifted them out of administration or the fans would have done what Bankies fans did and start again with the name Airdrieonians in the Juniors in the hope a pyramid system would eventually be adopted.

They didn’t- they took the cheap and immoral route and bought Clydebank’s league membership moving them lock, stock and barrel with name and identity change to Airdrie.

I don’t blame Airdrie for the state that Clydebank FC was in in 2002- that blame lies squarely at Messrs Steedman(s), Hall, Low and McCall but what I object to in the strongest possible terms was the reactions of the Airdrie fans. There was not a peep of protest from them at this proposal. They were more than happy to support a zombie club and fuck the fans of the other club that had now gone out of existence.

You also forget that the Bankies fans (UCS) consortium had a package together to buy the club from Hall and the creditors, one in which three of the major creditors advised Hall to accept. But Hall being the fourth creditor and majority shareholder out of pure spite, chose to sell to Ballantyne because we had called him out on every single one of his crackpot proposals to move the club from Dublin to the Borders via the moon.

So, despite the fact that the fans had a viable plan to buy the club and continue as Clydebank FC, the Scottish football authorities happily waved through Ballantyne’s purchase and tear up the rule book.

You’ve rightfully moaned and groaned the last couple of seasons at you team’s travails and the machinations of the Scottish football authorities. Believe you me, you’re lucky- you are Rangers. We were hung out to dry by all despite the best efforts of the fans.

What if Rangers league membership had been bought out and the club moved lock, stock and barrel out of Glasgow with a complete identity change waved through by the football authorities? Would you with heavy heart have said "Oh well, good luck to the new fans they deserve it because they really wanted a club"? I doubt it.

If ultimately you accept that Airdrie fans had no other choice than to save their own club by buying out the league membership of another full SFA member, changing their name and moving them to a completely different area, then you accept that what happened to Wimbledon is fine as well. They are no better than MK Dons fans.

Oh, and you want to see the final insult? Check out “The” Airdrieonians profile on the football league website:

http://www.scottishfootballleague.com/club/airdrie-united/

Founded 1965, around about the same time as Clydebank. What a disgrace. But that’s ok because Clydebank weren’t Rangers, nothing to see here. The scam is complete.

Comment

They are the only local team to me I refuse to fund.

A piss poor owner, with piss poor fans.

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote:
                              When did that happen?

Comment

torres, glad to hear it.

Rob,

http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/28-world/803772-why-are-cunts-now-arseholes

A couple of the thread titles were also changed. I was going to try to explain in the above thread (but couldn't be arsed) that the word is such an ingrained part of the vernacular especially in the West of Scotland that it's completely lost all misogynist content. It's used as a verb, noun, adjective, pronoun, preposition, conjunction.....and sometimes as a term of endearment- but not in Airdrie's case obviously.

Comment

Where the fuck did that come from tonight? Fucking hell.

Comment

Just seen the goal from the Maksimir - doubly sweet since it was that diving twat Srna's deflection that set the chance up for Snodgrass.

Comment

Shambles

There may be more later, still collecting my thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                                      X