Potentially unpopular opinions that you hold true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Because The Night' is comfortably better than anything on Horses.

Comment

I think all points made on page 2, except that nonsense about keyboards, can be validly argued. Green Day especially have some great melodies.

Comment

The Pixies were rubbish.

No gig should last more than 90 minutes.

Comment

Rock music really isn't all that good, compared to Beethoven and stuff.

Comment

Bryan Adams' Everything I do (I do it for you) is one ace tune that you can never tire of hearing. However, Brandy's version is even better.

Do I win?

Comment

I have really,really tried to appreciate Led Zep, but apart from Bonham's drumming I just don't get it.

Comment

Zooropa was a better album than anything U2 have released since and a more interesting listen than much of their early stuff.
                I think there is quite a sizeable chunk of people on here who agree with this.

Many more new recordings should feature slap bass than do at present.

Comment

The Beatles really weren't very good.

I once wrote something similar to that on this forum and was told that I was "trying too hard to be cool".

I'd rather listen to an old man talking to himself at the bus stop than listen to anything by Johnny Cash.

Comment

treibeis wrote:
                    The Beatles really weren't very good.

I once wrote something similar to that on this forum and was told that I was "trying too hard to be cool".

I'd rather listen to an old man talking to himself at the bus stop than listen to anything by Johnny Cash.
                    Anyone for whom 'thing called love' doesn't get their feet tapping is dead from the eyebrows down

Comment

You were told right. I mean, you might as well say 'food isn't very good'.

Comment

Motorhead's bass player fucked one of my girlfriends once, then gave her £10 for her 'taxi fair home'.

Sorry, not relevant I know, but I'm still bitter.

Comment

Nouvelle Vague's hotel-lobby-bar versions of post-punk standards are, more often than not, much more enjoyable than the originals.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                            Pretty much no band needs keyboards
                            What, like Booker T & the MGs? Or Kraftwerk?

Comment

You were told right.

I think what I orginally said at the time wasn't "The Beatles aren't very good at what they do", but something like, "I really don't care for The Beatles' stuff. It's little more than nursery rhymes set to music".

Which is probably trying too hard as well, but I stand by it. And I wear a battered leather jacket, so I'm dead cool anyway. I am, aren't I? Please say I am.

Comment

The Beatles's tunes are no more or less 'nursery rhymes set to music' than any other great pop. However, it's probably reasonable to suggest that they had more than a hand in both creating and perfecting the form. Just as they did rock, psychedelia, etc etc...

Comment

treibeis, we won't know how cool you are until you post a video of yourself doing the Tango.

But not liking The Beatles AND Cash? I'd say here's an argument for Legion to be cast into the swine.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                                    Pretty much no band needs keyboards

What, like Booker T & the MGs? Or Kraftwerk?
                                    Pretty much

Comment

But not liking The Beatles AND Cash? I'd say here's an argument for Legion to be cast into the swine.

My tastes in general are pretty poor. Without wishing to derail the thread, I also dislike champagne and caviar (Lordy!) and I'm not all that fond of Lionel Messi.

treibeis, we won't know how cool you are until you post a video of yourself doing the Tango.

At a class a few weeks back, one woman did actually get some camera thing out and, rather foolishly, started filming what was going on. The Lady I'm Walking Out With very nearly did to her what freshly-convicted footballers sometimes do to over-enthusiastic paparazzi on courtroom steps.

I'm about as dynamic on the dancefloor as I am when I'm leaning against the wall in the gents after sinking too many Holsten Edels on a Friday night.

Comment

treibeis wrote:
                                        I really don't care for The Beatles' stuff. It's little more than nursery rhymes set to music.
                                        A Jazz-loving guitar-and-bass-playing friend of mine once claimed that the music of The Beatles was trivial, and boasted that he could recreate any song within a day. He folded after I proposed
                                        Tomorrow Never Knows.

Which nursery rhyme is this?

On topic: direct democracy is a _very_ bad idea.

Comment

I know disagreeing with most of this stuff is the whole idea, and everything, and I duly do disagree with most of it. But the keyboards thing is the winner.

Comment

I find, and always will find, the cult of Elvis Presley overrated and annoying.

Comment

Autechre should move into pop production.

Comment

I find, and always will find, the cult of Elvis Presley overrated and annoying.
                                                Seconded.

Comment

Can't Get Enough of Your Love by Taylor Dayne > Barry White's original.

Comment

Every band needs keyboards. Even the Sex Pistols.

The Beatles were OK, but they are way overrated. There is sooooo much more to the late 60s than the Beatles and the Beach Boys.

Pet Sounds isn't even one of the best 100 albums from the late 60s. Maybe not even one of the best 500.

Prince has bad taste in everything, including music.

Tom Waits is annoying.

So is Van Morrison.

Bob Dylan is a very good songwriter, and that's about it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X