managerial relegation record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a recent thread, Jimbags asked whether any top flight manager had 'achieved' three relegations in three and a half seasons, as Alex McLeish is attempting at this very moment. I don't know the answer (although I rather doubt it) but I give you Billy McNeill. In 1986-87 he jumped ship from Man City- then bottom of Division One, if memory serves- to replace Graham Turner at Villa. Both clubs were relegated. Can anyone beat this?

Villa got relegated in the late 80s? Wow, memory cells failed me on that one, did you bounce straight back up?

It doesn't beat 3 in 3 1/2 seasons but another to note, Avram Grant relegating Pompey and West Ham in consecutive seasons.

Comment

At an uneducated guess, it has always felt like Iain Dowie taking over the reins has always looked like the kiss of death to a team. I've no idea what his official record is, though.

Comment

This is the kind of question they discuss in The Knowledge on the Guardian football website.

Comment

Dowie was relegated with Palace in 2004-05 and Hull City in 2009-10. He was sacked by Charlton before he could take them down too.

Comment

Dowie was also Shearer’s no. 2 at Newcastle, so he can also lay claim to a little of that glory.

Comment

Brian Laws was manager of both Burnley and Sheff Weds in the season they were both relegated. That takes some doing.

Oh how we laughed.

Comment

On the flipside of this, Nigel Adkins has achieved four promotions in five years, two with Scunthorpe, with a relegation sandwiched between, and two consecutive ones with Southampton.

Comment

Working...
                X