Digital TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital TV

In a letter to The Guardian today Michael Grade claims "90% of UK homes now have digital multichannel television".

Really? Where does this figure come from? Why is it whenever I discuss a show not broadcast on the main five channels the most common answer is "I don't have digitial TV"?

Are my friends and colleagues more luddite than most or is that figure misleading?

Digital TV

I'd go with the Luddite explanation. I seem to be the only person I know who doesn't have digital TV.

My analogue set has really come into its own during Euro 2008 though, as it's a couple of seconds faster than digital TV.

When I say 'come into its own' I really just mean annoying friends by ringing them up during penalty shoot outs and telling them if a goal is scored/saved/missed before they see it on their telly.

Comment

Digital TV

I don't think the figure is as high as 90% based on my own acquaintances, but it's well over 50%.

Comment

Digital TV

It was 88% as of March.

Comment

Digital TV

Thank Horse, the figures just doesn't seem plausible though. Does anyone think that 90% of the people/households they know have digitial TV?

Comment

Digital TV

I can only think of one that doesn't. Seems about right to me. Maybe you live in an area with poor reception?

Ofcom are a regulatory body - not sure what their motivation would be for issuing massaged figures.

Comment

Digital TV

I can't think of anyone right now that doesn't, the last people I know of that changed over made the switch in november, sky finally came good today with those introduce a friend vouchers... 8 months that took!

Comment

Digital TV

Perhaps those 'percentages' are about the number of new TV's or the number of new DVD players (with inbuilt Digital)... so they therefore add them into the equation.

Comment

Digital TV

It's simply the number of households with digital TV equipment. So new TVs, DVD players or anything else with built-in Freeview would count, yes.

Comment

Digital TV

I'm sure they do, but that's totally valid. I think it just confirms my original worry that "my friends and colleagues (are) more luddite than most". Either that or they are sick of talking to me about TV.

Comment

Working...
                    X