The ones that got away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grant Holt for us too. The rumour at the time was that chairman Dave Allen didn't want to pay an appearance based fee of £50000 to Barrow, which if true is scandalous in more than one way.

Comment

We were offered Andrej Shevchenko when he was 18 years old, but turned him down because he wasn't good enough. Also rumor has it that we could have signed Kagawa the season he went to Dortmund, but we decided not to.

Comment

Benfica have improved, but they used to be p*ss poor at spotting talent. They let Mário Jardel, Deco and Erwin Sanchez slip through their fingers. All went on to great things (ES to Boavista, which looks like a step down, but he helped them to win a title and to put in some stirring European performances).

Comment

The most notable one at Spurs was probably Souness. Although in recent times you could say the several players we sold then bought back (I'm including Keano in that at my peril).Crouch was in a pretty good Spurs youth side.

Comment

Leicester signed Mark Bright from Port Vale to replace St Gary who went to Everton. He never fitted in and went onto Palace and Sheff Weds and doing pretty well for himself.

Is the story that Sheff Weds had the chance to sign Cantona before Leeds but turned him down apochyphal or not?

Comment

Cantona came on trial at Wednesday - we had him for a week and he played in a 6 a side match against an American team. Trevor Francis asked him to stay for a second weeks trial as he hadn't seen him play on grass (cold weather had restricted him to playing indoors and on artificial pitches). Eric flounced off and washed up at Leeds a few days later.

When we had Grant Holt he looked no more than a lower division journeyman, and there was general contentment at having made a small profit on him.

Comment

I was sorry to see Holt leave. Despite his modest goalscoring record and rawness he looked worth sticking with. Good move for him though and he's made the best of his ability.

Comment

I think this is something Bolton have been fairly good at — yes we've had players who've gone on to much better things, but they've mostly played well for us and we've received decent transfer fees for them — players like Francis Lee, Peter Reid, Alan Thompson and Eiður Guðjohnsen.

The only obvious one I can think of was Bolton-born Alan Ball, who didn't get a contract with the Wanderers because he was 'too small'.

Comment

I can only assume that you're referring to Alan Thompson's comparative success after leaving Villa (I feel a thread on expensive transfer mistakes coming on).

Comment

1974ddr wrote:
                      I can only assume that you're referring to Alan Thompson's comparative success after leaving Villa (I feel a thread on expensive transfer mistakes coming on).
                      Yeah, fair point. I'd forgotten about his Villa spell and had gone straight to Celtic.

Comment

And as for Sasa Curcic …

Comment

Harbinger of Hope wrote:
                          In those days Holt's two skills were heading goals, and spending most of the game falling over.
                          The Premier League is right up his street, then.

Comment

Sami Hyypia, back in around 1992. The story has it that our chief executive balked at paying £150,000 for him after a successful trial.

Comment

Crusoe wrote:
                              Sami Hyypia, back in around 1992. The story has it that our chief executive balked at paying £150,000 for him after a successful trial.
                              And after a fairly distinguished spell at Leverkusen, he's now caretaker manager.

Comment

Bayern, who have had defensive problems in the past five years, let Mats Hummels go, to a rival, after one Bundesliga appearance, which seems odd. Doubtless they'll end up buying him back for €25m in a few years time.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                  I think this is something Bolton have been fairly good at — yes we've had players who've gone on to much better things, but they've mostly played well for us and we've received decent transfer fees for them — players like Francis Lee, Peter Reid, Alan Thompson and Eiður Guðjohnsen.

The only obvious one I can think of was Bolton-born Alan Ball, who didn't get a contract with the Wanderers because he was 'too small'.
                                  To qualify - the transfer fee we received for Peter Reid would have been around £940,000 more than what we got had he not broke his leg twelve months before he went to Everton.

Gudjohnsen went for a decent fee, but could and should have been more - much more - had it not been for the fact we needed to have a firesale due to the Hargreaves "laden the club with £35m debt with our new stadium that my company has somehow won the contract to build" plan.

But yeah, there aren't many Bolton players who go on to much bigger things. We get the best out of them before them being massively disappointing at their next club - the list there is endless (Gunnlaugsson, Ricketts, Blake, Diouf, Thommo)....or we break players with good reputations - again, the list is endless (Borgetti, Jardel, Elliot, Fish, Puygrenier, Laville)

Comment

Thommo did pretty well at Celtic, no?

Comment

But not at his next club, Mr P. I feared John Gregory broke him, like he did with Sasa Curcic, the epitome of flash in the pan.

Comment

Jermaine McGlashan couldn't get a sniff for Ks and eventually disappeared to Merstham. Within a year or so he was a regular for Aldershot, and now Cheltenham have signed him for £60k.

Comment

Ha ha Merstham let me go as well.

Comment

Working...
                                          X