Your own personal prejudices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I harbour such an incredible range of prejudices I wouldn't know where to start here.

Comment

oh, go on, you know you want to.

(I sounded like 'Sally Bowles' just then... I must be feeling better!)

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
        Do I take it that there are such things as specific support for ethnic minorities or children with French as an additional language then?
        Not for ethnic minorities — that would be illegal. The education ministry gets round it in allocating extra funds to 'deprived areas' but it's purely financial.

Non-native speakers are given extra classes in French. That's part of the curriculum and, in my experience, not very effective. Most non-native speakers in secondary schools end up in Segpa classes, which are for troublesome and under-achieving students (yes, both together). This is little more than a dumping ground. Segpa classes are often entrusted to newly qualified teachers (since nobody else wants to take them). It's not a great system, really.

Comment

Do I have to ask whether or not the Gipsies end up in the Seqpa classes?

Although not as bad as the Eastern European countries, France has an appalling record on treatment of Gipsies and the Roma, by the way.

Comment

Average penis size when erect 5.877inches. Average, when flaccid at room temperature 3.75inches. These are British penises of course. We all know that Canadians, for example have (are) much bigger dicks than that.
            I don't know whether to be in awe of precision measurement devices or merely extremely dubious about the first measurement, given that it goes out to three decimal places.

If asked I always round up and add on a couple of inches to allow for an inaccurate measuring tape.

Comment

Hats. Things on peoples heads.

Particularly in vehicles. If I see a driver with something on their heads, I automatically assume they're going to be incompetent. Whether it's a baseball cap, a flat cap, on of those fucking ludicrous hipster hats that are all the rage around here at the moment, a full on hijab, a cowboy hat or an old woman scarfe, they're all indicators, to me, that the person in the car is going to be useless.

But then, those hipster hats generally bring out a huge prejudice in me: I just assume that anyone wearing one is an intolerable arse, car or not.

(By which I mean ludicrous, slightly too small, fedoras, although I realise now that I could also mean those fucking annoying woolly bobble-hats-without-the-bobble which carry all the same connotations)

Comment

Gerontophile wrote:
                People who iron denim trousers.
                That's fine, isn't it? Iron a crease down the middle and you look ridiculous, but flattening down after drying is surely permissable.

I have two minor prejudices, and they often overlap: men who wear jackets with the brand printed on the shoulderblade (Superdry, North Face); and men who wear a single gold ring on the little finger.

Can't trust 'em. (I am slightly insane about this)

Comment

A bit like Auntie Beryl - men who don't wear proper coats when it's cold. Bodywarmers (I believe that they're also known as Gilettes) - they're bad enough. But there's a particularly brutal section of my labour camp being prepared for men who wear scarves but no coats. Especially when the scarves are tied that way. You know, that way.

Comment

Auntie Beryl wrote:
                    ..and men who wear a single gold ring on the little finger.
                    Yes, this. The same kind of men who would have the too-long pinkie fingernail and/or a thumb ring. Never trust anyone wearing a thumb ring. Not even women.

Comment

Auntie Beryl wrote:
                      … men who wear jackets with the brand printed on the shoulderblade (Superdry, North Face)
                      I got a North Face fleece cheap when I was in San José once. In my defence, I didn't notice the logo on the shoulderblade until about one month later.

Comment

I was really worried about this thread but it has been enjoyably hatstand.

Headgear on people in vehicles is my absolute favourite so far

Comment

Sir Reginald Dangleberry wrote:
                          I don't know whether to be in awe of precision measurement devices or merely extremely dubious about the first measurement, given that it goes out to three decimal places.
                          It might just be an artefact of converting between centimetres and inches.

Comment

An even more brutal section should be considered for people wearing scarves THAT way with no coat and...flip-flops.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                              Wait. We're all on the same page with measuring protocol here, right? Along the bottom, from anus to tip?

Comment

Moonlight shadow wrote:
                                An even more brutal section should be considered for people wearing scarves THAT way with no coat and...flip-flops.
                                Flip flops on anyone but unforgivably cute girls between the ages of 18 and 25 with exceptional footular maintenance habits.

Comment

People who are unnecessarily cheerful or tend to look on the bright side.
                                  People who pierce their baby or toddlers ears.
                                  People who let their kids run riot anywhere that isn't appropriate.
                                  People who flirt crudely at work.
                                  Bare chested men in public places.
                                  People who smell sweaty.
                                  People with tattooed necks.
                                  People who are 'wacky'.
                                  People who will do anything to be famous.

I'm just getting started here.

Comment

Men and sandals are not a happy relationship but they are very confy...

People who go out in horrible weather under-dressed, with a particular mention to "Blue Girl" for whom showing as much flesh as possible is a mission in life, even by -5c or "'Ard Bloke" who confuses stupidity with manliness

Comment

On the scarfe front: anyone who wears a scarf indoors should surely be treated as a pariah, as a societal leper. Particularly if they're tied THAT way.

Comment

Wearing a wool hat in hot weather...I can see what's left of your brain trickling down alongside your sweat chap...

Comment

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
                                          Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                          Wait. We're all on the same page with measuring protocol here, right? Along the bottom, from anus to tip?
                                          And, of course there's the perennial question of whether the floppy bit of foreskin is taken into account. (Obviously this is only relevant when in non-vertical mode.)

Comment

"I think for myself"

Each time I read this, instead of having the stimulating pleasure of reading a true contrarian or anarchist, I have the displeasure of getting to know the misinformed opinions of a typical Daily Mail reader regurgitating ideas that are shared by a million other morons like him/her.

Comment

I really struggle with developing countries. I've only been to India and Mexico, and the poverty spolit it for me.

I don't know whether that makes me a bad or good person.

Comment

A cheap holiday in other peoples misery

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                                                  I really struggle with developing countries. I've only been to India and Mexico, and the poverty spolit it for me.

I don't know whether that makes me a bad or good person.
                                                  Careful, Tubby. Daily Mail readers are already under fire in this thread.

Head down, old son.

Comment

La Lanterne Rouge wrote:
                                                    On the scarfe front: anyone who wears a scarf indoors should surely be treated as a pariah, as a societal leper. Particularly if they're tied THAT way.
                                                    Is that bad? I regularly wear a scarf at home in the winter as it can get quite cold even inside, and I always seem to be vaguely ill.

I was wearing one at work tonight but only because I have a stiff neck at the moment. And no, it wasn't tied THAT way.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X