Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst film of all time

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
    The message of The Breakfast Club is rancid: in order to gain validation, conform.

Mind you, the same could be said for Grease.
    Mind you, the bloke who plays the rebel in that film is a proper dick though, isn't he.

Comment

Worst film of all time

When Saturday Comes

Comment

Worst film of all time

Hughes-wise, there's a nice little low-budget Canadian documentary called Don't You Forget About Me that's worth 90 minutes of your time.

The basic premise is that of some fans trying to get him to agree to an interview and write 'one more' in the vein of his best '80s stuff.

They interview some of Hughes' old friends, stars, and other film makers while pursuing him around Chicago.

Comment

Worst film of all time

benjm wrote:
          In reality though, very few people will have ever seen the worst film of all time. It is probably locked in a vault somewhere. It almost certainly stars Danny Dyer.
          Except for the last part, sounds like you're describing Jerry Lewis' The Day The Clown Cried.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Clown_Cried

Comment

Worst film of all time

I - and, I assume, others - are waiting for Mr 64's nominations here.

The thing is that there's so much product being released that's so undernourished, shabby and over-packaged (in other words, being so sleekly made that you have to think twice before realising that it's shite) that you could draw more than a handful from the year's releases and come across some real dogs. Fish in a barrel.

My thoughts on The Green Lantern can be found on the current watching thread, but I'll pick the Clash of the Titans remake for now. Now there's a cold, by-the-numbers, barely imaginative pile of arse, directed by a hack, written by someone who must've had a lunch hour handy and acted by thesps who probably wanted that patio extension and a holiday in Barbados for the family.

Starring someone called Sam Worthington, this was an epic that couldn't imprint itself on the mind for even a second and was directed with no feeling for excitement, mood or moments of tension or awe. Just blah. Nicely photographed blah, nicely designed blah, but just blah.

Take a look at the Medusa sequence - the standout scene in the original (which wasn't that hot anyway) - it's a CGI glamour model with a snake's arse in a sequence that has no suspence, no sense of distinctive direction or momentum leading up to the reveal. It's just plopped there like cold dog sick. You could produce a cheapo video game version with more bravura.

It wasn't that it was bad full stop, but that you could feel the shallow, crappy nothingness behind it. No love for the medium, no character. I could've come out of a pub pissed to the eyeballs with my trousers around my ankles and had better vision that that.

Blimey, I'm a miserable fucker.

Comment

Worst film of all time

Perhaps. But I'm glad you posted that.

Comment

Worst film of all time

Why at Last! wrote:
                Renart wrote:
                I am also baffled by the hatred for Ferris Bueller's Day Off. It's not a classic of world cinema, certainly...
                Yeah it IS.

Comment

Worst film of all time

How poor a film seems can be affected by levels of expectation, I'd imagine. No doubt that Clash Of The Titans remake was a piss poor effort, but, certainly in my own opinion, this is exaggerated further by the eager anticipation with which I awaited this film, and the complete deflation I felt having watched it.

Comment

Worst film of all time

"The Hurt Locker", a film which is to realistic depiction of bomb disposal officers in Baghdad as "Lethal Weapon" is to modern policing in LA.

It's a cliched piece of absolute bullshit with no redeeming qualities and yet it won Academy Awards purely for not being "Avatar".

Comment

Worst film of all time

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Showgirls.

Swordfish would be in the running, except that it has the redeeming quality of being comically bad.

Comment

Worst film of all time

I never saw it but the trailers for Mel Gibsons attempt to do a re-make of 'Edge of Darkness' looked staggeringly bad.

"My name is Craven, my daughter is dead and I just don't give a fuck any more. Geddin the car, you're in for one hell of a ride".

Comment

Worst film of all time

There seems to be a bit of a Transatlantic disconnect on Bueller and Hughes' oeuvre in general.

His movies don't aspire to be great art, but they do rather accurately capture a certain period and millieu (not coincidentally the millieu in which those funding his films and most of those who watched them grew up).

I haven't seen VCB, but many of Woody Allen's New York films are of a similarly limited time and place, and it doesn't surprise me that people with no real life experience of those times and places find the films to be dull (FWIW, I've heard similar complaints from my countrymen about Mike Leigh films).

Comment

Worst film of all time

For big budget flops, you have to go some to beat Heaven's Gate. Almost 4 hours of unremitting tedium.

And I refuse to believe Eddie Murphy could ever sink lower than Norbit.

Comment

Worst film of all time

ursus arctos wrote:
                              I haven't seen VCB, but many of Woody Allen's New York films are of a similarly limited time and place, and it doesn't surprise me that people with no real life experience of those times and places find the films to be dull (FWIW, I've heard similar complaints from my countrymen about Mike Leigh films).
                              Recently I read an interview with the writers of Back to the Future who explained that their inspiration when plotting the film was John Carpenter's then recent The Fog.

While watching it they noticed that the fog was entirely inconsistent in its behaviour depending upon the immediate requirements of the scene at hand; sometimes doors stopped it, at others it would waft under or through the keyhole, and so on. They resolved to work and rework the plot of BTTF until it was entirely consistent within its own premise.

This is a roundabout lead-up to saying that the problem with VCB isn't that it is dull, or set somewhere else, it is that it is f*cking ludicrous.

The characters are essentially the fog, wafting wherever Woody wants to take them with little or no regard to how any real person might actually speak or behave outside of Woody's head. He might as well have called it Hot Fog.

Comment

Worst film of all time

ursus arctos wrote:
                                I haven't seen VCB, but many of Woody Allen's New York films are of a similarly limited time and place, and it doesn't surprise me that people with no real life experience of those times and places find the films to be dull.
                                Really? I wouldn't have said that you needed to be familiar with the New York of the time to appreciate those Woody Allen films. For one thing they are very popular in France which doesn't really seem to support that notion.

I had no idea who John Hughes was before reading this thread but having now seen that he's responsible for Home Alone and Beethoven I'm not keen to investigate further.

Comment

Worst film of all time

He didn't direct either of those films, though Home Alone certainly has many of his trademarks.

Comment

Worst film of all time

uber slacker wrote:
                                    For big budget flops, you have to go some to beat Heaven's Gate. Almost 4 hours of unremitting tedium.

And I refuse to believe Eddie Murphy could ever sink lower than Norbit.
                                    One of the New Yorker's film people (he writes the capsule reviews, not the full-length back of the magazine ones) thinks Murphy's performance in Norbit was genius.

Comment

Worst film of all time

Fussbudget, you raise a valid point, but my counter would be that French audiences find those Allen films "familiar" in a way that British (or German or Asian) audiences may not, given the number of similarly bittersweet travails about bourgeois life they've seen en VO.

It's worth noting that this dynamic certainly operates in the reverse direction, which is why that particular kind of French film tends to do well in New York, while no one ever screens something like Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis

In certain ways, Allen is a very French film maker.

Comment

Worst film of all time

Fussbudget wrote:
                                        I had no idea who John Hughes was before reading this thread but having now seen that he's responsible for Home Alone and Beethoven I'm not keen to investigate further.
                                        Based on those two, no.

But do watch:
                                        Sixteen Candles
                                        The Breakfast Club
                                        Pretty In Pink
                                        Ferris Bueller's Day Off
                                        Some Kind of Wonderful
                                        Plains, Trains and Automobiles
                                        Uncle Buck

Comment

Worst film of all time

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                                          He didn't direct either of those films, though Home Alone certainly has many of his trademarks.
                                          It's a good enough film, but it's not a good John Hughes film. Totally bereft of music, cultural touchpoints, etc. Sort of timeless, also, in a way that his good ones aren't.

Comment

Worst film of all time

G.Man wrote:
                                            benjm wrote:
                                            In reality though, very few people will have ever seen the worst film of all time. It is probably locked in a vault somewhere. It almost certainly stars Danny Dyer.
                                            Most likely the worst movie of all time will be either a horror flick or some religious melodrama.
                                            Nah, it's going to be a film that was an adaptation of a computer game.

The worst film I saw at a cinema is Mortal Kombat. A group of us went to see something else (Trainspotting, I think), but it was sold out. Rather than trooping back down the hill, we decided to watch the non-sold out film the cinema also had on. Not a wise choice. Some of the group, being typical students looking to do something 'ironic' were up for going to see the sequal. I wasn't...
                                            The worrying thing being the original took enough at the box office to allow for a sequal. I realise I was part of the problem, and offer my fullest apologies.

I've also seen some of Wing Commander, but that was late at night on the Sci-Fi channel, watching with some mates for piss-taking reasons. And we didn't last long. It's awful. For something quite as bad as this, and obviously going to be so, it's got a list of depressingly well-known names involved. Freddie Prinz jnr and Matthew Lillard are possibly to be expected appearing in something abysmal, but Saffron Burrows, David Suchet and Juergen Prochnow ought to have slightly higher standards.

Fortunately, I missed Super Mario Brothers, and had learned my lesson by the time Tomb Raider came around.

Comment

Worst film of all time

Nah, it's going to be a film that was an adaptation of a computer game
                                              Hence the Uwe Boll suggestion upthread.

Comment

Worst film of all time

La Lanterne Rouge wrote:
                                                In terms of films I've paid money to watch at the cinema, Vicky Christina Barcelona is a very serious contender.
                                                An absolute shocker. There's a terrible voice over too. I was convinced I'd somehow accessed the audio description track.
                                                Every year we hear that Woody Allen is back on form, but every year he disappoints further.

Comment

Worst film of all time

Was this on the box the other week? I think Mrs The Exploding might have been watching it. All it took was for me to say "This is really terrible, isn't it," and she switched it off.

Or it might have been Mortal Kombat, I don't know.

Comment

Worst film of all time

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                                    Nah, it's going to be a film that was an adaptation of a computer game
                                                    Hence the Uwe Boll suggestion upthread.
                                                    I'm very glad to say that reference went straight over my head. I've now looked him up. Oh dear...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X