X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst film of all time

Renart wrote:
    Amor de Cosmos wrote:
    Sure, no one likes looking at their zits and airbrushing them out of the picture makes us feel better, but does no one any favours down the road.
    I'm not suggesting they be excised or censored, just that they make some scenes very hard to watch and leave a bad feeling through the rest of the movie, kind of like Mickey Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi in Breakfast at Tiffany's.
    Oh sure, there's loads of instances like that — the Clouseau/Kato stuff in Seller's PP movies is the same. We squirm because we're so close to it but your children, my grandkids, will be no more than surprised/curious, like I was when I saw Stepin Fetchit for the first time.

Comment

Worst film of all time

In terms of films I've paid money to watch at the cinema, Vicky Christina Barcelona is a very serious contender. It was some of the most execrable shit I've ever seen: Ooh. Look. Europe. They all sit around discussing fancy, obscure art and architecture, like Gaudi, and they have sex. Isn't it so fantastic and otherworldly.

Close contender, but I at least expected it to be utter crap, is Eat Pray Love, which was utterly horrible and every character was completely hateful and continued the theme of "Oh, look, the abroad, isn't it wonderful and exotic" and somehow managed to stretch the complete lack of content to something like 2 and half hours. Really, really horrible, but I think Vicky Christina is worse.

Comment

Worst film of all time

La Lanterne Rouge wrote:
        Close contender, but I at least expected it to be utter crap, is Eat Pray Love, which was utterly horrible and every character was completely hateful and continued the theme of "Oh, look, the abroad, isn't it wonderful and exotic" and somehow managed to stretch the complete lack of content to something like 2 and half hours.
        I'm just wondering when the sequel, Shit Sleep Leave, is coming out.

Comment

Worst film of all time

I would like to nominate another 80's movie as the worst ever. It was called Mac and Me. A sort of ET rip off with elements of Flight of the Navigator. Seen it in the cinema when i was 10 and hated it so much i begged to leave.

Worst film i have seen in the cinema as an adult would have to be from the following. The Spirit-a film with Scarlett Johansson and Eva Mendes that almost put me to sleep. I wasnt sure that was possible. The Happening-the entire cinema was chuckling at this movie as it progressed. I actually thought it started off kinda cool with all the suicides but then developed into some kind of weird comedy where we were scared of the wind. Truly awful. Last but not least, Revolutionary Road. Some folk loved it, i found it to be torture.

Comment

Worst film of all time

Renart wrote:
            And the Vacation "Quest for Fun" rant still makes me laugh till I cry every time I see it.
            "I gotta be crazy! I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose. Praise Marty Moose! Holy Shit!"
            "Dad, do you want an Aspirin?"
            "DON'T TOUCH!"

My wife can quote pretty much all of Vacation, and I love her for it.

For movies I saw in the theater, I wished that I could have fallen asleep during Moulin Rouge. I would have walked out, but I saw it with a big group, so I was stuck.

Comment

Worst film of all time

Drop Dead Fred, Rik Mayall's stab at Hollywood stardom, was very pants. I remember poor Phoebe Cates' face throughout: "Wait till I get hold of that agent!"

Comment

Worst film of all time

Enemy at the Gates.
                I paid 5.50 to see it.
                It redefines "fucking shit".

Comment

Worst film of all time

Ferris Bueller is a classic of the genre. Indeed, it's an important view into the minds of 1980s kids. Most of the films were just slightly before my time - I graduated from high school in '91 - but close enough. I'm surprised, however, that a lot of kids today still like those films.

I think the lack of black characters was deliberate. The point of all of those is that its the boring-ass suburbs. The all-whiteness contributes to the feeling of blandness.

If you want a somewhat more realistic portrayal of roughly the same thing, watch the way-too-short run of My So-Called Life.

Uncle Buck is underrated.

Worst film I saw in a theater was Supergirl with Helen whatsername. Oh, and one of the Police Academy movies, 3 or 4.

Comment

Worst film of all time

If you want a somewhat more realistic portrayal of roughly the same thing, watch the way-too-short run of My So-Called Life.

In the desert of Network TV it shone like a diamond. I haven't watched it since its original run. I wonder how it stands up?

Comment

Worst film of all time

Stands up damned well.

Comment

Worst film of all time

Good to hear. The only slight weakness I thought at the time were Claire Danes's parents, who seemed a bit predictable and cardboardlike, but that might have been magnified in my memory.

Comment

Worst film of all time

Renart wrote:
                          I am also baffled by the hatred for Ferris Bueller's Day Off. It's not a classic of world cinema, certainly...
                          Yeah it IS.

Comment

Worst film of all time

The message of The Breakfast Club is rancid: in order to gain validation, conform.

Mind you, the same could be said for Grease.

Comment

Worst film of all time

'The Beggar's Opera' (1953)is notorious as having opened Londonwide on a Sunday and been seen by so few people that it was replaced in all cinemas by another film by the Monday evening. Sterred Laurence Olivier, Stanley Holloway and Kenneth Williams, too.

Here it is

Me, I really, really hated 'Boxing Helena'. Proof that directorial talent is not hereditary.

Comment

Worst film of all time

Reed John wrote:

Ferris Bueller is a classic of the genre. Indeed, it's an important view into the minds of 1980s kids. Most of the films were just slightly before my time - I graduated from high school in '91 - but close enough. I'm surprised, however, that a lot of kids today still like those films.

I think the lack of black characters was deliberate. The point of all of those is that its the boring-ass suburbs. The all-whiteness contributes to the feeling of blandness.

Uncle Buck is underrated.
                                All this.

Comment

Worst film of all time

If the likes of Supergirl and Drop Dead Fred are the worst films you've ever seen, then you're not trying hard enough.

Freddy Got Fingered is a good call though.

Comment

Worst film of all time

Batman and Robin is utter dog shit. It is elevated to The Worst Film Ever because Batman is one of the coolest characters of all time, so it takes real dedication, grade-A douchbaggery and a MA in Twatery to make him look this lame. And he was still the best thing in it.

Comment

Worst film of all time

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                                      The message of The Breakfast Club is rancid: in order to gain validation, conform.

Mind you, the same could be said for Grease.
                                      Well, not everybody has to conform, just smoking hot rock chicks played by Ally Sheedy.

Comment

Worst film of all time

La Lanterne Rouge wrote:
                                        In terms of films I've paid money to watch at the cinema, Vicky Christina Barcelona is a very serious contender. It was some of the most execrable shit I've ever seen: Ooh. Look. Europe. They all sit around discussing fancy, obscure art and architecture, like Gaudi, and they have sex. Isn't it so fantastic and otherworldly.
                                        Absolutely. I saw this on TV recently and the chasm between the enthusiastic 'return to form' coverage and what dribbled from the screen was startling.

In reality though, very few people will have ever seen the worst film of all time. It is probably locked in a vault somewhere. It almost certainly stars Danny Dyer.

Comment

Worst film of all time

G.Man wrote:
                                          Purves is on a roll of total rightness on this forum at the moment.
                                          Excellent point.

Comment

Worst film of all time

benjm wrote:
                                            In reality though, very few people will have ever seen the worst film of all time. It is probably locked in a vault somewhere. It almost certainly stars Danny Dyer.
                                            If there is a film starring Pauly Shore and Adam Sandler, with a guest appearance by Carrot Top, then we'll have a real contender.

Most likely the worst movie of all time will be either a horror flick or some religious melodrama.

Comment

Worst film of all time

Good call on Adam Sandler. He was in the worst film I ever did see: Click, a film whose message is that jewish 5th Avenue advertising executives are so overworked and underpaid that they can't find time to do any quality parenting stuff, or even raise the money to buy their kids birthday presents. Arabs, meanwhile, are a rabble of venal alcoholic whoremongers. But it's all right, because the Angel of Death is going to come and make it all ok.

Utterly vile shit and Sandler deserves to have his fingernails ripped out for it.

Comment

Worst film of all time

G.Man wrote:
                                                [quote]benjm wrote:

Most likely the worst movie of all time will be either a horror flick or some religious melodrama.
                                                Uwe Boll is your man here, I reckon.

Comment

Worst film of all time

Take your pick. I draw your attention to The Task, now playing on Sky Movies. To even ask how someone could persuade someone else to produce such an amateurish pile of shit and think it worthwhile doing so is in itself redundant before you even start.

You could do better? Yes, you probably could.

Comment

Worst film of all time

I -- and, I assume, others -- are waiting for Mr 64's nominations here.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X