The sleeve of Roger Daltrey's Ride A Rock Horse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in a second-hand record shop in Brighton yesterday when I saw an old Roger Daltrey LP called Ride A Rock Horse. It's very unsettling. I think it's how pleased he looks about being a centaur that gives me the willies. I stared at it for ages, lost for words. It reminded me a bit of my friend Justin Hawkins, for some reason. It was only a quid and I kind of regret not buying it.

(In actual fact, the real LP cover doesn't even have any words on it, so it's just Roger Daltrey. Being a centaur.)

When the subject of Intelligent Design comes up, I always think any intelligent designer worth his salt would have designed us as centaurs.

I mean, just think how fast you'd be able to go. It's all the advantages of bipedalism and quadrupedalism rolled into one.

Comment

My lovely Roger, running through the field
      Where are you going, with your fetlocks blowing in the wind?

I want to shower you with sugar lumps, and ride you over fences
      Polish your hooves every single day, and bring you to the human dentist

My lovely Roger, you're a pony no more
      Running around with Pete Townsed on your back, like a train in the night...

Hang on, I can get this.

Comment

I kinda doubt anyone else snapped it up, SR, so you could always go back for it.

Comment

You say that, but there's already a race on with a few of my friends.

Comment

Heh. Godspeed.....

Comment

Ooh. This is very convenient. It was the concept of Roger Daltrey as a centaur which led to my girlfriend setting up this thing:

http://www.drawmeadaltrey.com/

There are a handful of OTFers already on there (Phoebe, BDG, Dotmund & myself) and, hey, we're always looking for more pictures of Roger Daltrey. The very first picture in the archive is Roger as a centaur, as drawn by a friend of mine who is a little artistically challenged.

Comment

I've always wondered about what Centaur Roger is doing in that picture. Is he stretching after a nap? Lifting his arms in triumph after another win at the Centaur Games? I've never actually listened to the album. Do the songs provide any answers?

Comment

Striking though the visuals are, let's not lose sight of how bad the title is as well.

The cover is slightly reminiscent of this gem from the crap book covers thread:

I can't help but think that Roger missed a trick by not adding a pair of 'Little Roger' glove puppets into the mix.

Comment

Am I really the only one who wants to know if SR got back to the shop before any of his friends?

Comment

Roger looks as though he's just woken up in a state of obliviousness to his transformation. By coincidence, Keith Moon was supposed to have dabbled with horse tranquilisers at this time.

Comment

Not everyone looks good as a Centaur:

Comment

I had a bit of a thing for centaurs, who seemed to embody the best things about men and horses (don't be rude, I mean being strong and capable and nice to look at).

I think I'm over it.

Comment

And it doesn't look so good when you put the horse top half on the human bottom half

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                              Not everyone looks good as a Centaur:

Fuck me, he's fallen away a bit since "Sharpe" eh?

Comment

Who? Dobbin?

Comment

More Bernie Clifton than Roger Daltrey.

Comment

An excuse to post this.

Something from the back of MsD's exercise book.

I don't wanna know where this came from.

Or this.

Ah, I think we've already met.

Comment

sw2boro wrote:

Something from the back of MsD's exercise book.
                                      I don't like centaurs wearing shirts. That's just wrong.

Actually, I did draw mermaids obsessively when I was a kid, and horses' heads. Couldn't do the legs. I wouldn't be able to manage a centaur, even now (ooh missus).

Comment

That pencil sketch seems to have come from the future.

Comment

Centaurs were supposed to hang-out with Dionysus weren't they? I think they were generally bad bastards. There's a big frieze in the Parthenon - well, it's in the British Museum now, but y'know - that shows them ready to have a ruck with the people of Athens or thereabouts.

Here's a picture of them in action.

Just look at the vicious bastard.

Comment

Then of course there's fawns. I think they may be the same as satyrs but am probably wrong.

Much to our kids amusement/embarrassment we have this print on our bedroom wall:

Comment

We've discussed this on here before. Satyrs are more fun to party with, but centaurs are more dependable and protective. And bigger, which is also a plus with me as I'm very tall in heels.

Comment

They always want to be the centaur of attention.

Comment

Never mind the punnage, did you get the bloody thing or not?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X