Today's Earworm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Hard to believe it's already 25 years today (give or take)… Great band to see live, fabulous concerts.

Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 24-01-2018, 19:07.

Comment

Comment

Right. I admit my French is somewhat lacking, but, uh..... Does that mean what I think it means?

Genuine question. No judgement or owt, but am I missing some cultural reference?

Comment

their name 'Green Negresses' came from an insult by a yob at a provincial dance cleverly embodied many of the bubbling sub-strands of Eighties French urban culture - music from Andalucia and North Africa, old rock 'n' roll

http://musique.rfi.fr/artiste/chanson/negresses-vertes

L'appellation de Négresses Vertes a été trouvée, lors d'une bagarre dans un bal à l'été 87 : en effet, les amis, dont les cheveux étaient colorés en vert pour l'occasion, se sont fait jeter dehors par des vigiles au cri de "Sortez d'ici les négresses vertes…". L'insulte les fit beaucoup rire et ils l'adoptent comme nom de groupe.
            (one summer evening of 1987, they were ejected from "un bal" - not a ball as such, but a village dance with a disco/live music, you get them on Bastille Day for instance - and as they had green hair, the bouncers shouted: "Get out of here, you green negresses". They liked the insult and kept it as their new band name. Probably wouldn't do that today... (pick that name).

Comment

One of my all time favourite bands. Remarkable live.

Comment

Thanks, Kev.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  One of my all time favourite bands. Remarkable live.
                  Saw them 3 times, the last gig was at the Printemps de Bourges festival in 1991, a fairly big annual festival in the centre of France (so just 20 months before Helno died of a heroine overdose), they really were exceptional, best French band to see live with La Souris Déglinguée and Mano Negra IMO.

Comment

Comment

Oh well, at least it's happy

https://youtu.be/bXe8-2MwkWQ

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        Beautiful. Same voice as a North-East singer my wife was friend with, Bryony O'Sullivan (who sadly died young, over 20 years ago, was only known locally, sang in pubs etc. No Internet in those days means no trace left of her except audio tapes/CDs...).
                        Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 25-01-2018, 22:16.

Comment

Excuse me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwtSdJaPCSI

I've been thinking about the "KLF" for a while now, and, you know, no-one cares, EXCEPT, the people who go to the available appendage, and find, yes ITS THERE.

So, you aim for the 'Tammy Wynette' thing...

Oh, I am a cranky old man, and this thing is the thing that I am cranky, about: My local/any gay (cos there is a 'thing'- ownership wise) jukebox, doesn't have the fucking Associates, and I have been so annoyed for ages.

So there.

Ah, I remembered a pertinent thing. Excuse me.

Comment

That was the answer to a question that no-one asked. Please, excuse me.

Comment

Zebda

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kev7 View Post
                                  That's lovely.

Comment

Actually Kev all your stuff on this page. Les Negresses Vertes are great.

Comment

Still prefer Renaud’s original of Mistral Gagnant.

I’ve had ‘Private Number’ in my head for days. Also now annoying myself about how it got there (must be work/telephone-related)

Comment

Nice to see IAM come up after zebda

Comment

Well, you know, it's about time.

I've been looking up this sort of thing on 'video search' things before... I only saw this about a year ago.
                                          And it feels like an implanted memory. I think, of course I have fucking seen this, because why wouldn't I?, but also, I am not quite sure that I have a grip on things, just yet.

So, what was the question? x

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                            So, what was the question? x
                                            If that's the answer, the question must've been "Can someone put up a link to one of the greatest songs of all time?"...

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                              Still prefer Renaud’s original of Mistral Gagnant.
                                              So do I, but I'm not being very original in agreeing with you as you won't find one person who prefers a cover of this particular song to the original as no cover of Mistral Gagnant has ever surpassed the original. I just wanted to put a less well-known, more contemporary version of this Renaud classic.

Not sure we've had Renaud on here before, so just for you Felicity (some proper French cars in there):

Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 26-01-2018, 17:29.

Comment

Faith No More - From Out Of Nowhere

Comment

For about a week in 1968 Fever Tree's first album wasn't off my turntable (and has rarely been on it since.) Two tracks reappear now and again, this is one of them:

Comment

Thanks, Kev7!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X