Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Did Liverpool vs Man U Turn Nasty?

moolag wrote:
    There is a good article by Kevin Sampson somewhere about the whole fashion / casual thing which sums up the Liverpool side of things very well. I'll post it if I find it later should anybody want a look.
    George wrote:
    Quiet you lot! The guy out of The Farm is reminiscing about shoplifting trainers during the '81 European Cup Final.

Comment

steveeeeeeeee wrote:

Possibly a moment it became really nasty was the ammonia attack on the Manchester United players at Anfield as they left the team bus. Clayton Blackmore was badly hit, if I remember correctly. Must've been in 1984 or 1985.
      Did the police ever find the culprit responsible for this?

Yeh, Blackmore couldn't play in the game because he was so badly affected. In the ensuing panic and temporary blindness, Big Ron had John Sivebaek pinned up against a wall becuase he thought he was the attacker.

It's hard to believe that the motive of the attacker was jealousy though, since Liverpool and Everton were the top two teams in the country then.

Comment

Re - Man Utd fans chanting "Liverpool" at the end of the 1977 FA Cup Final.

Yes, it definitely happened. It was reported at the time (e.g. by Geoffrey Green of the Times), and I recall it being mentioned on BBC Radio. It is clearly audible on the ITV video, as Liverpool go on their consolation lap, applauding and applauded by the Man U end. And it's not sarcastic.

Of course a lot of bad things happened in those years, but this was one good thing, and it should not be written out of history.

Comment

I really can't believe that no-one wrote:

Manchester United hooligans are better than Liverpool hooligans.
          No Liverpool hooligans are better than Manchester United hooligans.
          No Manchester United hooligans are better than Liverpool hooligans.
          No Liverpool hooligans are better than Manchester United hooligans.

Comment

What was I on about here, anyone know?

Ray de Galles wrote:

moolag wrote:
            There is a good article by Kevin Sampson somewhere about the whole fashion / casual thing which sums up the Liverpool side of things very well. I'll post it if I find it later should anybody want a look.
            George wrote:
            Quiet you lot! The guy out of The Farm is reminiscing about shoplifting trainers during the '81 European Cup Final.

Comment

tee rex wrote: Re - Man Utd fans chanting "Liverpool" at the end of the 1977 FA Cup Final.

Yes, it definitely happened. It was reported at the time (e.g. by Geoffrey Green of the Times), and I recall it being mentioned on BBC Radio. It is clearly audible on the ITV video, as Liverpool go on their consolation lap, applauding and applauded by the Man U end. And it's not sarcastic.

Of course a lot of bad things happened in those years, but this was one good thing, and it should not be written out of history.
              I knew a kid from Bournemouth who went up to that final to support Liverpool, and he said the United fans were singing "Who the fuck are you", and " Get off the fucking pitch" at the Liverpool players.
              I guess it depends where you were standing, what you heard.
              For some reason this really upset him, almost as much as the result.

Comment

I've heard things get so bad that some pubs in dublin segregate utd and Liverpool fans in separate bars because of punch ups, it could be bullshit but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true

Comment

Angela Rippon's pronunciation of 'absurd' & David Howell's pronunciation of 'UEFA' are both bizarre.

Comment

Heard it was the submarine in Crumlin but as I say, you take these things with a pinch of salt

Comment

Crumlin seems to be the place where the solvent hipsters are settling down into relatively cheap suburban yet convenient living. The days of the submarine might being Skangeragua might be coming to an end. It'll be getting rid of the big screens and bouncers and selling food off bits of slate before you can blink.

Comment

I don't know. I don't think there are enough hipsters in Europe to fill the Submarine.

Comment

If you build (or refit it) they will come. Bierkeller/Farmer's Market/Artist Collective before you can say license revoked. I think those markets selling fresh veg with dirt/posh meat and fish would probably have exponential growth potential in Dublin. Is Smithfield ever going to be turned into a missing the point entirely class wise mini Boqueria?

Comment

sw2bureau wrote: Angela Rippon's pronunciation of 'absurd' & David Howell's pronunciation of 'UEFA' are both bizarre.
                            When I was a kid during the 80s, everyone talked about Ipswich (and other clubs) playing in the "Yoofer Cup" and it was often spelt EUFA rather than UEFA for some reason.

Comment

its been an extra ordinary turnaround between the two clubs...what is interesting is the ongoing failure of Liverpool to win a title has been nowhere the scrutiny of Man Utd similar ....by 1993 it was hard for anybody interested in football to avoid the clock ticking since 1967 while Liverpool now surpassing their 1990 clock is just a collective so what shrug of the shoulders...

Comment

United were the favourite team of so many ex-public schoolboys of a certain generation in the media - the European Cup, the romance of Munich and all that. They incorporated the title drought to that romantic tale. Liverpool's public image, on the other hand, is 'whinging Scousers'. I suppose Thatcherism has something to do with that.

Comment

ale wrote: its been an extra ordinary turnaround between the two clubs...what is interesting is the ongoing failure of Liverpool to win a title has been nowhere the scrutiny of Man Utd similar ....by 1993 it was hard for anybody interested in football to avoid the clock ticking since 1967 while Liverpool now surpassing their 1990 clock is just a collective so what shrug of the shoulders...
                                  Istanbul etc. probably accounts for some of that. Man United's hard times were harder, the contrast between romance (Best, Law, Charlton) and reality (relegation) was a juicy story, more so than Liverpool's, whose failure is just amusing, not shocking. In the pre-Sky days United failed miserably while Derby, Forest, Villa etc succeeded: until Leicester turned up, Liverpool were only missing out to Big Money, while remaining on the podium themselves, or so it could be spun.

But yeah, when I was a kid you felt sorry for Manchester United, an unimaginable state of mind today.

Comment

United were the favourite team of so many ex-public schoolboys of a certain generation in the media - the European Cup, the romance of Munich and all that. They incorporated the title drought to that romantic tale. Liverpool's public image, on the other hand, is 'whinging Scousers'. I suppose Thatcherism has something to do with that.

I can't help feeling that a lot of it is down to framing. It's not that Liverpool have gone 26 years without a title, It's that they've never won the Premier league. It's not the same thing in a lot of people's minds. Also it's not a great way of slagging people "Your insanely long and embarrassing run of seasons without a title is now worse than our insanely long and embarrassing run of seasons without a title."

it doesn't really roll off the tongue does it?

Comment

And now your British disease spreads abroad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0dcdoU51rk

Comment

You know when old people say things like 'I don't understand that and I don't even want to understand it' and you think 'I hope I'm not that close-minded when I'm old'? Well, I must be really old, because I don't really want to understand that. Like reactionary old farts say, 'I must be a dinosaur'.

Comment

Incidentally, can anyone here recall any of Jimmy Greenhoff's holiday romance tips.

I must admit, I'm quite intrigued.

Comment

Continuing my research through old FA Cup Finals, in the 1985 version you can clearly hear Everton fans at Wembley singing the Munich song (dying/runway/snow). Like booing black players, thousands did it, and there were no phone cameras - or even any cameras at all, much of the time.

To quote Will Smith: "It's not getting worse, it's getting filmed".

Comment

Working...
                                            X