• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rock Stars Who Invested Wisely

With a business card reading 'Choo choo choose the very best.'

Comment

Shalamar, wisely, advised us to "take that to the bank". Frustratingly, however, they failed to specify which bank, so we're none the wiser as to whether it was a bank that got burnt in the 2008 crash; furthermore they were maddeningly unspecific in clarifying what the "that" was that they were directing us to deposit.

Comment

Rick Astley - as I mentioned on that other thread - made some smart financial moves when enjoying his 'fifteen minutes' and now owns and profits from some serious property.

I'd argue that he's the nearest match to a pop 'Robbie Fowler'.

On the other end of the scale, didn't Adam Faith write a newspaper financial column for several years and then wind up bankrupt at least once?

Comment

Nick Mason makes a fair coin from his classic-car hire business.

Comment

Stephen Pastel has developed a bit of a business empire in Glasgow, can't remember the name of his shop/venue/restaurant - Mono maybe?
            There's Mono, which is a record shop and cafe/bar in one, and which regularly hosts gigs and stuff, and then there's also Stereo in another part of the city, which is more of a bar/pub kind of place, and which also hosts gigs (and is where I first saw Franz Ferdinand many years ago).

They've both been around a while now, and are clearly doing well enough, but I'd be surprised if they've made Pastel a rich man. I admittedly have no idea what percentage of them he owns, or how profitable they are, or indeed anything whatsoever about Stephen Pastel's financial affairs, but I'd doubt he's loaded on the basis of those venues alone, which are brilliant, but kind of low key and cultish.

Pastel also used to run the upstairs music section of the John Smiths bookshop on Byres Road, which was pretty much the best shop in Glasgow until it was turned into a Starbucks.

Comment

Lucia Lanigan wrote:
              He's always been a bit of a rumour-magnet, but a lot of people reckon John Lydon made a load of wedge off real estate. Anyone know if that's true?
              MsD wrote:
              That would make me really popular, discussing everyone's money.

But it's fairly well-known that he's OK and his wife is from money.
              But still down to earth enough that he takes the bus to get his groceries in LA.

Comment

Is it possible it wasn't him? I mean, I've got a neighbour who drives a hearse and looks like Alice Cooper, but I'm pretty sure it's not him.

Comment

I could be wrong........ I could be right........

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote:
                    Shalamar, wisely, advised us to "take that to the bank". Frustratingly, however, they failed to specify which bank, so we're none the wiser as to whether it was a bank that got burnt in the 2008 crash; furthermore they were maddeningly unspecific in clarifying what the "that" was that they were directing us to deposit.
                    It was the sperm bank. The people there told me to sling my hook, as they don't accept unsolicited deposits. They added that in general people use a sample jar, rather than an old sock. So far, Shalamar have refused to respond to my demands for an apology.

Comment

Oh my lord, from that blog:
                      Normally, I would never post about a “c-word” sighting. What makes this newsworthy, however, is the incongruence of having Johnny Rotten, who made his name, his reputation, and his career on being angry and edgy more than on his musical talent or anything else, living in a place that is known for being laid-back and anything but angry and edgy.

The next time I run into John/Johnny, I will try to say hello, and ask him for an impromptu mini-interview. I want to know whether he is now living an idyllic, anger-managed life by the sea. Hopefully, he won’t lose his temper.
                      What a twerp. "I heard Johnny 'so called' Rotten goes to sleep sometimes, in a soft bed. He doesn't even sleep in a bin, popping his head up every five minutes to shout at passers-by. I may break into his bedroom at night for an impromptu grilling - let's hope he doesn't lose his temper."

Lydon must have had 35 years of this shit. No idea what he's like as a person, but for that alone he has my sympathy

Comment

He is rock's Richard Dawkins.

Hope I die before I buy a trout farm

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                          Craig/Ken from Bros got paid a hefty sum to leave and ended up doing very well for himself in the music industry. He was managing director at RCA according to his Wikipedia entry.
                          Didn't the twins have a really dodgy contract based on giving their manager a percentage of the gross rather than the net profits or income?

Comment

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
                            Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                            Neil Young is the co-owner of Lionel Trains, but I think that's more of a hobby than a profit-making enterprise.
                            According to the Wiki, various bankruptcies and reorgs have resulted in Young no longer being a part of Lionel. Apparently the Southern Rail don't need him around anyhow.
                            Oooft!!

Comment

Lucia Lanigan wrote:
                              Lydon must have had 35 years of this shit. No idea what he's like as a person, but for that alone he has my sympathy
                              Absolutely. And I think ex (latecomer) punks are the worst, expecting him to be a kind of punk Christ, or indeed Anti-Christ. The butters ads sent them into a frenzy of selfrighteousness. PIL are playing Rebellion (punkfest) this year, which prompted a load of "ooh, I bet he won't drink in the bar with the punters, TV Smith always mingles with the punters". TV Smith doesn't get the shit Lydon does.

Comment

Sammy Hagar (excruciating when in Van Halen, not so bad in Montrose and Chickenfoot) made something like $80m when he sold most of the shares in his own tequila company - Cabo Wabo.

Bruce Dickinson another one, as he's bought bits of the old Astraeus airline and a flight simulator too - though god knows if he'll ever make any money from them.

Do I remember rightly that Gary Glitter opened a sandwich bar in that London about 15 years ago? Wonder how that went for him...

Comment

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
                                  But for musicians, tough to beat Thomas Dolby. Among other things, he invented/patented the protocol for the downloadable ringtone. Hundreds of millions are downloaded each year and apparently he makes a penny or two on each.
                                  Do people really still download ringtones?

Comment

gavc23 wrote:
                                    Do I remember rightly that Gary Glitter opened a sandwich bar in that London about 15 years ago? Wonder how that went for him...
                                    I remember that--it was on Leicester Square. Didn't last long. See also the Supermodels Cafe.

Comment

Working...
                                    X