• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Least Collectable Records

I own that.

Comment

Jongudmund wrote:
      Also, in terms of least collectable records, most picture discs from the 80s that were made purely for collectors have hardly held their resale value. One record shop near me has had a Tigertailz picture disc hanging up for about 20 years I reckon.
      I still own this, so does it now turn out it's worthless?

Comment

I have this in mint condition..... never played it. I have no idea why I bought it.

Comment

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
          Crusoe wrote:
          How about albums that people only bought because one song was used in a film, or was a sudden hit?
          Oh, God. I think I may have won this category hands-down.

You ready?

I bought this:

...because it had the theme song from Friends on it.
          So that's who's to be held responsible for that godawful song!?

Comment

This is quite good if you want to find out value for records

http://www.popsike.com/index.html

Edit: For willie

Comment

This must be a contender:

Comment

Surely the Spice Girls (any of their three albums) are the Queens of the CD box in the Charity Shops?

Comment

Be Here Now was just Monster a bit later...both bands could have covered John Cage's 4'33 12 times over and they still would have sold millions.

Pretty sure Monster is REM's second best seller

Comment

I'm sticking on Toploader for this. When people like Jamie bloody Oliver were wetting themselves over that wretched hit of theirs, you just knew their career was doomed. I met Joe Washbourn, the singer with the hair, once - he barely said a word all evening.

Perhaps he just invested the money he made in the 80s wisely.
                    Not sure about Young, but Rick Astley certainly did - he owns like a dozen properties or summink.

Comment

Comment

Falco looked like José Mourinho reimagined as a Teuton.

Comment

Not really germane to this thread (but not really worthy of its own thread either) but I finally carted all my vinyl downtown to a used record place yesterday. Hadn't listened to any of it for at least 15 years. More likely 20. Got a few hundred bucks for the lot and freed up a bit of space.

Into the bargain, bumped into Damian (Pink Eyes) from Fucked Up and had a really nice chat. What a genuinely nice human being. Shook my hand three times, thanked me for complimenting him on Chemistry... and laughed his ass off when I told him that my first listen to the album was 'challenging'.

Comment

Hugely surprised that up until now nobody has mentioned No Fucking Jacket Required by Phil Fucking Collins.

Comment

RobM wrote:
                              Hugely surprised that up until now nobody has mentioned No Fucking Jacket Required by Phil Fucking Collins.
                              Good call, in fact anything by Phil Fucking Collins! (So tell me Mrs Collins, why did you leave your multi-millionaire husband for the decorator?)

Comment

Gawpus wrote:
                                This must be a contender:
                                I used to call in at a second hand cd shop on the way into town, and saw that in there the week it came out (in retrospect, this should have been a warning), and not having enough cash on me (and it not being the sort of place that took Switch even now never mind then), I hid it in the classical or jazz section, and almost sprinted to the nearest cashpoint to get the required cash. A couple of hours later I was wishing I'd tripped over and been knocked unconscious.

Comment

MsD wrote:
                                  steveeeeeeeee wrote:
                                  Is Paul Young from a rich family? I'd always see him having hanging-out in cafés and looking posh in King's Road way after his popularity had demised. His music couldn't have earned him that much, could it?
                                  How much do you think sitting in cafes, looking posh, actually costs? I do it all the time.

But yeh, he sold loads in the 80s, he'd be well able to go to the caff, unless he had an expensive divorce, loads of kids or a drug habit.
                                  Or maybe he was just sitting in there to save on the heating bills.
                                  Paul Young lives in Loughton or Debden. Somewhere at the suburban end of the Central line. So I am guessing he isn't quite that posh. I think he's earned his cup of tea in a posh cafe on the Kings Road.

Bloke I work with (as cockney geezer as they come) lives opposite him. Had him round for drinks once. Apparently Paul's a 'top geezer' and his wife is still 'a sort'.

He didn't say whether they had swapped wives that evening.

Comment

When I was a kid and trying to sell of the few non-punk records I owned to buy punk and reggae records, I could not sell Kiss records to save my life.

Comment

Working...
                                    X