Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owen Jones is on Question Time tonight

Why at Last! wrote:
    According to at least one very influential strand of economic theory, "rent" refers not to the sale of services above putative market rates, but to "pure" profit based on non-productive ownership.

Either usage is rhetorical, but one casts teachers as rentiers, which is the kind of rhetoric I dislike.
    It's not a use I would normally make, either - I was just saying one *could* use that phrase of teachers (or any other occupation where competition or entry is limited...actually, the Economist has been very good lately on how the American private sector has been increasingly taken over by rent-seeking behaviour, and hot just among big corporations: there are a number of states now where you need to be licensed to be an interior designer, for instance).

The definition I usually see used is "excess earnings over and above that which would be required to keep a factor in its current use". Which neatly gets around the "profit" issue, which to a certain is a matter of a) accounting and b) labelling of social architecture.

Comment

Ha ha, just checked Julie Meyer's wikipedia entry, and it currently begins

"Julie Meyer is an American-born entrepreneur, investor, business adviser, networking expert, broadcaster, business commentator and clown."

I've just had a quick look at the first five or ten minutes of QT on i-player (I was away last week) and that little bit of sabotage seems fully justified, though perhaps "moron" would hit the nail more squarely on the head than "clown". All the unemployed can dig themselves out of their hole by becoming entrepreneurs, Jesus H, how the fuck does she get invited on to telly?

Comment

So, she's basically a TV version of singlelaw?

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote:
          Ha ha, just checked Julie Meyer's wikipedia entry, and it currently begins

"Julie Meyer is an American-born entrepreneur, investor, business adviser, networking expert, broadcaster, business commentator and clown."

I've just had a quick look at the first five or ten minutes of QT on i-player (I was away last week) and that little bit of sabotage seems fully justified, though perhaps "moron" would hit the nail more squarely on the head than "clown". All the unemployed can dig themselves out of their hole by becoming entrepreneurs, Jesus H, how the fuck does she get invited on to telly?
          Not just entrepreneurs, EEG, but digital entrepreneurs. I mean, if you're not going to include the full quote, of course it sounds silly...

Comment

I thought Owen Jones did well on QT. His arguements were far more convincing than in his book.

Comment

Yeah, I mean, if they get on the Twitters and that they'll boost the economy no end. Social media shits money, literally.

Comment

Just seen Owen Jones on the 10 o'clock Show debating Julia Hartley Brewer who has gone so right wing that I almost don't fancy her. Basically, once he's Labour Party leader, I'm back

Comment

Like the great Labour Party leaders of the past who came from the left?

Ramsay MacDonald is my favourite.

Comment

He was pre-Keynses though. It was much harder to argue then that there was an alternative to austerity.

Comment

Not Clement Attlee, TT? He was the last bloody one, wasn't he.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                        Just seen Owen Jones on the 10 o'clock Show debating Julia Hartley Brewer who has gone so right wing that I almost don't fancy her. Basically, once he's Labour Party leader, I'm back
                        Debating with her. Debating against her. FOR FUCK'S SAAAAAKE!

Comment

Rest assured it was a typo rather than a stylistic decision. You will have seen enough of my post with key words missing to know I do this all time.

Comment

Phew.

Comment

He's going to be on Question Time again tonight. He's everywhere these days.

Comment

And up against the Rt Hon Victorian Moraliser for Chingford and Woodford Green. We can update both this and the IDS threads simultaneously

Comment

I find I can't be doing with Question Time any more, even if there are people I like on it - far too annoying.

Here, though, is a spot-on parody of it:

Comment

Tonight was my first full experience of Owen Jones, and it was an impressive one. He wound the Prince of Dullness up a treat.

Comment

Duncan-Smith would benefit greatly from a very hard punch in the face.
                                      Tory scum.

Comment

Others would benefit greatly from punching IDS very hard in the face, or at least extract some joy from it. However I don't think it would change that tedious cunt one iota.

Comment

You're probably right, Sean.

Jones had him wound up properly though --the bile in his voice at the end showed that he was properly raging.
                                          Beware the quiet man, eh?

Tory failure.

Comment

Of course, you could punch him a lot of times and, by his own departments' rules, he'd still get declared fit to work - so we wouldn't be free of him that easily.

Comment

still no harm in trying

Comment

It might not benefit him, but it would be for his own good. We've allowed a culture of non-punching-IDS to develop in this country which has created a whole generation of punch-shy young people. We need to end the dependency cycle by making punching IDS pay etc etc.

Comment

Ah, this from Rod Liddle is amusing:
                                                  http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/rod-liddle/2012/11/i-hear-owen-jones-was-on-question-time-last-night-was-he-awful/

My friend woke me up this morning. I am in a tiny apartment in Italy, finishing a book. I mean writing one, not reading one. Anyway, he rang as I was dozing – dreaming, bizarrely, that I had just been shortlisted for the Turner Prize – and delivered this torrent of violence down the phone. His animus, which was fabulous, immense, was directed towards a person called Owen Jones whom he had watched on Question Time yesterday evening. I cannot quote his diatribe in full because of the prohibition in these parts about the excessive use of foul language. But it was something like ‘F****** third form arrogant public school infantile leftist ****, vile smug and self-righteous tosser…….’ And so it went on. I have come across this halfwit before, when I read a very bad book he had written. But it takes a lot to make my friend upset. So it is all a bit of a mystery, which I pondered later as I had my espresso while basking in the glorious late Autumn sunshine of Positano, with the Med as still as a Lib Dem’s pulse. Was this pig-ignorant idiot really as annoying as she found? Or was it just a pretext to disturb my sabbatical?
                                                  Liddle's "friend" turns from a man into a woman during the piece.

Comment

Say what you like about Cameron and Osborne, they know IDS is a thicko. But demoting a bloke with lots of friends in the press is not the sort of "tough decision" that they felt able to take.

I can imagine meeting about Universal Credit basically consisting of him saying to some poor computer bloke "Make it do that!" Repeat a thousand times.

We're diluting our Fuck off IDS brand here.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X