Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you thought that DARPA robot dog was scary...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somehow over Christmas I missed that the DARPA Robotics Challenge actually took place. You'll be pleased to hear that ED-209 won. And it's owned by Google. They've got the future under control.

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but when I look at that robot, my first reaction was "why is it walking backwards?"--the "legs" have a hinge that resembles a knee, so I was expecting it to be moving in the direction of the knees, like a human would. Of course, I know that they're robots and they don't need to mimic human physiology, but it still seemed "wrong" to me.

Comment

Incandenza wrote: Maybe it's just me, but when I look at that robot, my first reaction was "why is it walking backwards?"--the "legs" have a hinge that resembles a knee, so I was expecting it to be moving in the direction of the knees, like a human would. Of course, I know that they're robots and they don't need to mimic human physiology, but it still seemed "wrong" to me.
        They've done that deliberately, so that - in the second or two it's taken you to work out which direction it's heading in - it's shot you.

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but when I look at that robot, my first reaction was "why is it walking backwards?"--the "legs" have a hinge that resembles a knee, so I was expecting it to be moving in the direction of the knees, like a human would.

Because OmniCorp says so, that's why.

Comment

Google considers getting its own drones, higher and better than Amazon's.

They're not going to be used to spy on us at all ...honest!

Comment

At least Google and Amazon are relatively up-front about using your information: it's the government you need to worry about.

Actually, is there a good economic argument for drones?

For a pizza takeaway, for example, would it be cheaper to use drones for delivery (and use less energy) than employing someone to ride a scooter around town? Ditto for anyone distributing goods from a warehouse.

(Someone will be along soon to tell me that pizza takeaways are doomed, because we'll be able to 3D print pizzas from home.)

Comment

And that someone is me.

Comment

Nothing says mm-mm-mmm like a well rendered "protein layer".

The comments are good. Dr_Spaceman, whom I'm assuming is an expert in this field, makes his feelings known: "It looks like a piece of square cardboard covered with garbage." Meow.

I'd still eat it, though.

Comment

The pizza topping menu goes from the basic Margherita up to Soylent Green.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: The pizza topping menu goes from the basic Margherita up to Soylent Green.
                      I always thought the euthanasia clinic that Edward G. Robinson goes to was brilliant. Wall to wall daffodils and Mozart. You know he got a hand-job too.

Comment

"It looks like a piece of square cardboard covered with garbage."
                        Just like Pizza Hut!

Comment

Run for your lives! Here comes the robot kangaroo:

Comment

First they got the Terminators, now they've got the Hunter-Killers.

Comment

"...it could help bring Internet access to remote parts of the world as well as solve other problems."

They may as well have put "...errrmm," before "solve other problems"!

Comment

Other problems like, say, the continued existence of meatbags.

Comment

Comment

See Spot run. See Spot immanentise the eschaton.

Comment

Whoa, the stairs...

Comment

'The Prisoner' springs to mind slightly!

Comment

At least they're not making any bones about what this robot is meant to do.

So... if you'd always wanted the last thing you - or your loved one - would see to be a terrifying giant robotic bear, all your prayers are now answered.

Comment

Wow. I can't really collect my thoughts around that, but something has gone wrong somewhere (and I mean beyond the universal tragedy of the human condition).

Comment

It's on snopes.com, as not true.

Comment

Here is a robot that definitely does exist, and I didn't know it before seeing the video, but I absolutely need one.

Comment

This is terrifying in a different way, due to the stunning arse-about-face logic being applied to the situation.

Comment

Watch the DARPA Robotics Challenge finals live this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X