Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you thought that DARPA robot dog was scary...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...then don't watch this

Wow. That's just cool.

Comment

That beats the Giant Spider Puppet I saw this morning.

Although it's not as high-tech as The World's Most Dangerous Killer Spider.

Comment

The DARPA robot dog slipping on ice for me is the most exhilarating 6 seconds of video that I've ever seen.

When my daughter was 2, she saw Asimo walking while holding a lady's hand. That was the game we played for the next few months, as she we'd walk and hold hands, only with walking like Asimo did with his smoothed-over herky-jerky movements. There was something that touched something primal inside of her with Asimo in that video, from the hand-holding to the running, to every movement he did.

The DARPA dog slipping on ice had the same primal effect on me.

I'm not sure if PBS video can work overseas, but the Phillip Dick robot featured on NOVA was pretty wild, especially when he says that he'll remember his human friends when robots take over the world and he'll take good care of them in his human zoo.

Comment

JV, I started watching the Big Dog video while I had one of the Weeknd songs playing in another tab. It made for a strange an wonderful thing:

The flying robots have the potential to be the biggest Christmas toy of all time.

Comment

From the people who brought you the Big Dog comes the headless robotic cheetah, which can hit 18mph.

Comment

Sorry I missed that the first time, Inca. That was incredible. Especially if "it's okay" coming up as it stabilized itself.

Comment

Thanks. I think most anything would sound good behind the Big Dog slipping and stabilizing, though.

Comment

Cheetah can now run faster than Usain Bolt.

Comment

Ferguson looks to sign robot cheetah for friendly against Real Madrid.

Comment

That's not a cheetah. It's a dog. And this has military applications, of course. You can build a whole army of them, and they're relentless. And, in the night, they cross the dessert and savage the enemy as they sleep. But then they go rogue through a programming glitch. Or a traitorous army sargeant, maybe.

I'm going to write a novel around this called The Dogs of War.

If I get up the gumption, like.

Comment

Those robot swarms will be our undoing. I'm sure of it. Imagine if they could make millions of them and then teach the machines to crank out new ones.

By the way, I know it's cliche now, but if ever there was a video that cried out for Ride of the Valkyries as background music, it's that one.

Comment

They were all so cute and helpful in Batteries Not Included, though.

Comment

So were the Mogwai, Inca. So were the Mogwai.

And then you fed one after midnight...

Comment

Is that a late supper or a very early breakfast?

Comment

Supper? SUPPER? You class traitor.

Comment

See, my in-laws have a little Papillon dog. They leave these diaper pads all over the house, so I call her "Diaper Dog." I ended up singing a song called "Diaper Dog" when I used to change my infant's diapers, and needlesstosay whenever I see this thread title I start singing it.

Comment

At last somebody is taking the robot menace seriously. Honestly, though, I'd rather see people focus on robot/AI ethics, problems with which are probably going to crop up a lot sooner than existential threats to humanity.

Comment

When did the three Laws Of Robotics become four?

Comment

The robots are not going to get very far as long as Microsoft is running their systems, I mean what kind of a revolution are they going to foment when it takes them four and a half minutes just to boot up?

Comment

10^7 guests wrote: Supper? SUPPER? You class traitor.
                                          Now we'd better quantify what he was saying here exactly. If he meant a cup of tea with buttered digestive biscuits then supper would be a perfectly acceptable term for this.

Anything else and it's the guillotine for GO.

Comment

GO, I think that the Oth law was in pretty early. So you have the three and then the Zeroth Law.

Edit: This is just a kit robot! Creepy as hell.

Comment

Ta, 10. We didn't learn the 0th law at school.

Comment

Oh, and by the way Rob, I'm middle-class'n'proud...

Comment

Flee! Flee while you still can!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X