No announcement yet.

Broken & Late Ltd: Britain's Railways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not that I know of. I thought it might be to accommodate more services on the ECML portion of the journey, but the people in my office travelling from Northallerton/Darlo are also complaining about having fewer services in the morning so I'm really not sure where the supposed extra services went. To be fair I suspect we haven't actually lost services on our branch, but they've been retimed at crap times leaving some big gaps in the timetable.

Comment

Cheers.

One for BBAF, I think.

Comment

Guess which lucky sod has to go to London on the first working day of the new timetables? Yup. And it's to attend a conference about something I'm pretty experienced in, so probably won't learn anything of value (these things tend to be aimed at the inexperienced). Part of me's hoping the chaos will be so bad I can sack it off entirely without any guilt, but I just know it's going to be ok in the morning to get me there and then total chaos in the evening.

Comment

This doesn't sound all that encouraging for Bristol-Portishead. Grayling not funding it. Maybe the LAs can come back with more money and a deal gets done, I don't know.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/b...t-rail-1580347

Comment

On my trips from Huddersfield to Scunthorpe or down south, I prefer to take the half empty Northern chugger to Wakefield Westgate to pick up an East Coast train. It seems the new timetable terminates this service at Wakefield Kirkgate, and that a Grand Central from Mirfield or Kirkgate is the suggested London option, but if I want a frequent, proper train I'll need to endure an overcrowded TPE to Leeds, or else do a five minute one stop across Wakefield.

I gleaned this information from a group of Northern and FTPE conductors, who were on my last journey "route learning" ahead of the new changes. Although this learning seemed to involve loud and extremely boring conversations about trains and train routes.

Comment

Network Rail have wrung an apology out of the Telegraph for the tree felling story. Don't know how different the Guardian version was.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                On my trips from Huddersfield to Scunthorpe or down south, I prefer to take the half empty Northern chugger to Wakefield Westgate to pick up an East Coast train. It seems the new timetable terminates this service at Wakefield Kirkgate, and that a Grand Central from Mirfield or Kirkgate is the suggested London option, but if I want a frequent, proper train I'll need to endure an overcrowded TPE to Leeds, or else do a five minute one stop across Wakefield.

I gleaned this information from a group of Northern and FTPE conductors, who were on my last journey "route learning" ahead of the new changes. Although this learning seemed to involve loud and extremely boring conversations about trains and train routes.
                The main driver for that being the extension of the Knottingley - Wakefield Kirkgate service up to Westgate and onto Leeds, there isn't the capacity to run 4 trains per hour between Kirkgate and Westgate. Greater value being placed on the Knottingley link that Huddersfield given the now frequent service Huddersfield to Leeds.
                The Huddersfield service was meant to extend to Castleford, and subsequently if someone pays for it, either Pontefract or (less likely) York. However, the desperate need to find diesel units to send west to cover the non-electrification of Bolton, meant it was cut back to Wakefield so one unit can cover the service all day.

Comment

Well, it's obviously important that a vibrant, bustling metropolis like Knottingley is well connected.

Comment

The timetable changes went about as well as expected

And getting home tonight is going to be fun:

https://twitter.com/Se_Railway/status/998590519197491203/photo/1?tfw_site=Se_Railway&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.southeasternrailway.co.uk%2Fdisruptions

Comment

This is supposed to be good on the new timetable.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/...etable-changes

Comment

One in seven (14%) of Northern's services were cancelled on Monday morning, with a further 17% delayed by at least five minutes.

A spokesman said it had been a "difficult morning" for some of its customers and it was "very sorry".

Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham said the situation was "appalling" and called on Transport Secretary Chris Grayling to intervene.
                        What does he expect Grayling to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                          What does he expect Grayling to do?
                          he's the Minister of Transport, Tubby.

this re-timetabling has been carried out to help the companies sweat their assets better.

Comment

The reduced level of service is officially expected to last three weeks, but in reality it seems likely to last longer. Driver training issues can’t be resolved that quickly. Some of the new Thameslink drivers for the route were still working at Southeastern last week, so have route but not traction knowledge. A fragile service seems likely for a while to come till all the drivers are fully trained in every aspect.
                            Great.

Comment

The Transport Secretary is supposed to scrap the timetable after one day?

Comment

Hmm, if Citymapper is to be believed, the Cannon Street trains are mostly running OK this evening. Thameslink is fucked though.

Comment

Andrew Haines announced as CEO of Network Rail.

At last, someone who knowns what the company should be doing and won't put up with the obstructive bollocks the newbie upper management come up with.

Hendie and Carney were ineffective and all talk, way out of their depth in an industry they do not understand.

Comment

The newbie upper management are who? People from outside the industry? Internal high flyers?

I'd expect people like them to be coming up with impractical stuff rather than being obstructive. How does it work exactly?

Comment

No trains whatsoever from Cannon Street. Yippee.

Comment

Glad I left at 4.

Comment

Thameslink service is running from London Bridge but is, natch, delayed while we wait for a relief driver, presumably because the current driver isn't trained on the Greenwich branch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                            No trains whatsoever from Cannon Street. Yippee.
                                            That's fucking awful. Was it that bad in the morning?

Comment

No, though it wasn't good. Supposedly this evening was unrelated. Lightning strike in Hither Green damaged signals.

Comment

Go out on the sauce for a few hours, GY.

Comment

That was a fun journey home. Especially the woman who called me an arsehole when I asked if she wouldn't mind repeatedly jumping on my feet.

Comment

Why would anyone bring a fucking pogo stick on a train? Hope your feet are ok TG, you need some shoes with steel toe caps.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X