No announcement yet.

Broken & Late Ltd: Britain's Railways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In fairness to Network Rail, looks like they did well with the apparently very tight schedule upgrading the Waterloo approach.

Comment

This month's instalment of "company stores massively flammable material beside major rail route and then the inevitable fire happens" has knacked the west coast main line:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41276218

It seems we can't go any length of time these days without a warehouse fire, timber fire, gas cylinder fire (or in the case of Liverpool Lime Street, old fridges propped against a weak wall above the tracks) fucking up a significant part of the rail network in the UK.

Comment

To be fair, this is a big fire and yes gas cylinders are very dangerous. I certainly wouldn't want to be travelling past when one explodes so I think they've made the right decision here by closing the line to all traffic. It buggers me up in my journey from Euston this afternoon though.

Comment

Oh, I don't blame National Rail or the TOCs for this at all - and in this case they're right to close it down in case that wall collapses. What baffles me is the businesses thinking "hmmm, storing flammable gas cylinders and timber right beside one of the busiest rail routes in Europe - nothing could possibly go wrong there".

Same with that guy who stored oxyacetylene cylinders underneath a bridge carrying the M1 motorway.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
            This month's instalment of "company stores massively flammable material beside major rail route and then the inevitable fire happens" has knacked the west coast main line:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41276218

It seems we can't go any length of time these days without a warehouse fire, timber fire, gas cylinder fire (or in the case of Liverpool Lime Street, old fridges propped against a weak wall above the tracks) fucking up a significant part of the rail network in the UK.

These days?

This is nothing new, and has nothing to do with the privatisation of the railways.

Comment

I have been on the new Crossrail class 345 train several times from Liverpool St with my train-mad young son. They're nice. I recommend a ride.

It's usually I think the 10:27 or the 10:35 from Liverpool to Shenfield on a weekday. Turn up around that time and keep a close eye on platforms 14-18 and you'll catch them soon enough.

Comment

It's usually I think the 10:27 or the 10:35 from Liverpool to Shenfield on a weekday. Turn up around that time and keep a close eye on platforms 14-18 and you'll catch them soon enough.
                Could be tricky unless I take a day off work. Which, eager as I am to see them, seems a bit extreme.

Comment

We're rolling out the new tram/trains (from yesterday)

Not running to Rotherham yet, but you can travel for free on one on Sunday if you make a contribution to the Children's Hospital.

Comment

It's an interesting project. Hope it works well.

Rotherham ought to be pissed off with Sheffield's HS2 lobbying, I think. I've never been to Meadowhall (or indeed South Yorkshire at all) but it's already got well over 2 million passengers a year. Sounds like perfect place for a regional high sped station.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                      Rotherham ought to be pissed off with Sheffield's HS2 lobbying, I think. I've never been to Meadowhall (or indeed South Yorkshire at all) but it's already got well over 2 million passengers a year. Sounds like perfect place for a regional high sped station.
                      We are.

Comment

I can't get over how well connected Meadowhall is.

National Rail services[edit]
                        Current off-peak services from the interchange include:

6tph to Sheffield only (Northern)
                        2tph to Leeds (fast) via Barnsley Interchange and Wakefield Kirkgate (Northern)
                        1tph to Adwick via Rotherham Central and Doncaster (Northern)
                        1tph to Bridlington via Doncaster, Goole and Hull Paragon Interchange (Northern)
                        1tp2h then continues to Scarborough via Filey (Northern)
                        1tph to Cleethorpes via Doncaster, Scunthorpe and Grimsby Town (TransPennine Express)
                        1tph to Huddersfield via Barnsley Interchange and Penistone (Northern)
                        1tph to Leeds (slow) via Rotherham Central, Moorthorpe and Wakefield Westgate (Northern)
                        1tph to Leeds (slow) via Barnsley Interchange, Wakefield Kirkgate and Castleford (Northern)
                        1tph to Lincoln Central via Sheffield, Worksop, Retford and Gainsborough Lea Road (Northern)
                        1tph to Manchester Airport via Sheffield, Stockport and Manchester Piccadilly (TransPennine Express)
                        1tph to Nottingham via Sheffield, Chesterfield and Alfreton (Northern)
                        1tph to Scunthorpe via Rotherham Central and Doncaster (Northern)
                        2 trains per day to York via Rotherham Central and Pontefract Baghill (Northern)
                        I'd expect there was a fair bit of capacity building that could be done to improve those by 2033 too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                          We are.
                          Guess how annoyed those of us in Sheffield are now that this lobbying has resulted in us "not getting HS2"

Comment

Link for Supertram on Sunday -

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/statu...68794373050370

Comment

Whoops!

Comment

Ok. It's a fair cop.

https://twitter.com/SCSupertram/stat...92022046969856

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                  Guess how annoyed those of us in Sheffield are now that this lobbying has resulted in us "not getting HS2"
                                  Is it still being promoted as a win, or have they given up on that?

What was the logic? That the amount of regeneration possible was limited and they thought it would happen round Meadowhall instead of the City Centre?

Comment

Only the Shadow knows…

Comment

This is the sort of thing people should resign over. Is it too late to resurrect Meadowhall?

Comment

Has Barry Sheerman given up on his anti-HS2 stuff? Even now, it's 20 minutes from Huddersfield to Leeds, where there'll be HS2. I expect that could be quickened up by 2033. Why on earth should the MP for Huddersfield be complaining?

Comment

Deighton is in his constituency too, and has a station (albeit with slow trains to Leeds). What's he complaining about?

Comment

off thread but what is up with the weird platform off by itself at Doncaster? I've only ever seen it from the train but it's connected to the other platforms by about half a km of bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                              off thread but what is up with the weird platform off by itself at Doncaster? I've only ever seen it from the train but it's connected to the other platforms by about half a km of bridge.
                                              Been there, seen it, used it.

Platform zero.

Comment

Where does it go? It's so far from all the other platforms.

Reading BB&F's latest missive and one thing that stands out is NIs trains look ugly and old. Which isn't to say that Class 700s are good looking but still...

Comment

I've heard a spotter refer to the 700s as 'stormtroopers,' if that helps.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X