No announcement yet.

Broken & Late Ltd: Britain's Railways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very good pub that. I think it wasn't to everyone's taste – very minimal decor and no nooks and crannys to hide in – but it was a solid place and a shame to see it go. The Landlords are heartbroken by all accounts.

I'm a big fan of the Doric Arch, which is Camra and more or less in the station, but really hidden away. I heard a rumour that it might also be under threat but nothing concrete – I hope not.

Comment

Seconded on the Doric Arch. I usually go in there for some food and a pint before the train back to Manchester.

Comment

why those New trains are about to be scrapped.

Comment

In the meantime, Northern is still runing Pacer trains and the "new" electric trains are 20 years old....Sigh...

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
            why those New trains are about to be scrapped.
            It's not quite as bad as it sounds. As things stand, the trains are going nowhere but they can be converted an used elsewhere. It's not like the "Boris Bus" which nobody is interested in.

https://twitter.com/RAIL/status/964045749913817089

There's been a rolling stock boom, with lots of competition. It's a bit chaotic.

MS, lots of new Northern Trains coming in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42937218

Comment

Tubbs, the new Northern trains pictured in that article are electric units. How can they replace Pacers, which are used mainly on non-electrified lines?

Wikipedia suggests that they will be replacing class 321, 322 and 323 units instead, in which case that BBC article is completely misleading.

Comment

Pacers are supposed to be phased out in 2019, we will see................

Comment

I didn't look very closely at that article, apol. Mainstream articles on rail are usually poor- the one Nef put up is an honourable exception, and the author is a City Correspondent, so great credit to him for it.

It might be that these new trains replace some others that get cascaded down to the Pacer routes. I don't know if there are diesels running on electric lines until these electric trains are coming in, maybe. Those diesels could then replace the Pacers.
                  Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 15-02-2018, 15:10.

Comment

Almost all electrified lines in the Northern area are currently used by electric trains so I'm not sure what might become available by bringing in these new trains. A few 158s perhaps, but nowhere near enough to replace the Pacers. That really is a bad article.

Comment

Yeah, apologies.

This is likely more accurate.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...struction.html

The 25 two-car and 30 three-car Class 195 diesel multiple-units and 31 three-car and 12 four-car 25 kV 50 Hz Class 331 electric multiple-units were ordered by leasing company Eversholt Rail at a cost of Ł492m in January 2016. The DMUs are to be used on Northern Connect branded services, facilitating a cascade of existing rolling stock which Northern confirms will enable the ‘complete removal’ of the 1980s Class 14x Pacer DMUs from the franchise by the end of 2019.

Comment

Yes, that makes more sense. But I'm guessing it will mean 150 Sprinters being shoved on to the likes of Darlington-Saltburn which will be an improvement of sorts, but not much.

Comment

There are 43 EMUs and 55 DMUs.

The EMUs are intended to work a newly electrified Blackpool-Preston-Bolton-Manchester-Stalybridge service.

However, the Preston-Manchester works is now almost two years behind schedule and the planned May 18 launch cannot happen, so Northern cannot cascade diesels off that route to strengthen other services.

In addition, the Scottish and also Great Western electric schemes are so far behind, the anticipated cascade of their DMUs to Northen is not taking place.

The new Northern DMUs are due to arrive in December, to facilitate the new flagship 'Northern Connect' network, first off will be Bradford-Chester.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                            Yes, that makes more sense. But I'm guessing it will mean 150 Sprinters being shoved on to the likes of Darlington-Saltburn which will be an improvement of sorts, but not much.
                            Hmmm, I can't say too much at this point but the residents of Saltburn may have a pleasant surprise!

Comment

They won't have to go to Darlington after all?

Comment

The (Teesside) Evening Gazette was claiming yesterday that we're keeping Pacers (*drools*) on the Boro- Newcastle line after 2019.

But in better news, there hasn't been faeces pumping onto the platform at Sunderland for three weeks now.

Comment

Wow, I never thought I'd say this but the Gazette article is actually more informative than the BBC one (although still not completely accurate, let's not go overboard. Still a step up from their usual standards of journalism.) And it already has the perfect tone of parochial outrage so I don't even have to make the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post
                                    Hmmm, I can't say too much at this point but the residents of Saltburn may have a pleasant surprise!
                                    Don't get anybody into trouble, but it's definitely the station not the line?

Nice to see you here again.

Comment

Hang on, Saltburn station is already perfect, apart from the lack of a roof, which adds to the charm.

Comment

Reports that the new Scotrail 385 EMUs give poor sight lines in the cabin for drivers after initial testing. They do seem to have ridiculously small windows (the middle of the cab is taken up by the connector so there are just two small windows to each side), but dunno if this is RMT stirring shite or a pretty massive design flaw.

Comment

Most of the drivers are in ASLEF. Have they said anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            Reports that the new Scotrail 385 EMUs give poor sight lines in the cabin for drivers after initial testing. They do seem to have ridiculously small windows (the middle of the cab is taken up by the connector so there are just two small windows to each side), but dunno if this is RMT stirring shite or a pretty massive design flaw.
                                            It's the reflective element of curved windscreens and the opportunity to shit stir.

Drivers would like an arrow slit for a wind screen. The reason being is that if there is no corridor connection, having a full width windscreen turns your cab into a greenhouse in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                              Most of the drivers are in ASLEF. Have they said anything?
                                              Can’t remember which union, but some Rep has been “voicing grave concerns” in the Scotsman and Herald. I do smell shite, just like the stuff with the driver only trains following the Airdrie-Bathgate project.

Comment

Utter, utter, utter pile of fucking shit tonight at Waterloo.

Comment

Can't believe these have only got a year or so to good.

Ok, this morning '017 was smoking like a beagle in the Rothman's laboratory, but still.

Comment

A right shambles at Peterborough station this morning. A freight train blocked the line at Manea, causing a backlog on the Norwich and Cambridge routes. Various misinformation (mostly involving the hopeless East Midlands Trains) led to lots of running about between platforms from exasperated passengers who genuinely had no idea what was going on.

This is after a journey in the Virgin East Coach 'quiet' coach from Newcastle, occupied by about 15 pissed up, noisy, middle aged Geordie blokes who reeked the place out with their cheap and nasty aftershave. At 6.30am too.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X