No announcement yet.

Broken & Late Ltd: Britain's Railways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read about the Tay Bridge disaster before you go over (the new one).

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
      The East Coast website lets you see where the seats you're booking are in the carriage and the direction of travel, so you should be able to get a seat on the right side of the train.

I would also travel first class if the tickets are not too expensive (if you book in advance they're sometimes barely more expensive than standard class) as it's significantly more comfortable on East Coast trains especially for a journey that length, and you also get free food and drink (although the food went downhill when Virgin took over the line, and bizarrely even further downhill when it was brought back under public ownership.)
      Ah, thanks for the tip about the seat locations. I normally do book first class. With Britrail they're usually only about twenty percent more expensive than coach so it's worth it, unless they "de-register" them (or whatever they call it.)

Comment

You could route one of the journeys through Inverness for some pretty decent scenery through the central highlands,
        though I guess that would mean the inconvenience of changing trains for the Aberdeen Inverness leg.

Comment

It's a long way up, but I enjoyed going to Thurso. Not spectacular like the Kyle line but awe inspiringly empty, till you reach Thurso, a decent sized gown.

Comment

The flow country to Thurso is head fucking empty bogland. As vast as anything can get on a mid sized island.
            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 13-12-2018, 21:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
              You could route one of the journeys through Inverness for some pretty decent scenery through the central highlands,
              though I guess that would mean the inconvenience of changing trains for the Aberdeen Inverness leg.
              I think further exploration may have to wait for further trips (it'll likely be a once a year deal.) Generally I like to avoid connections, mainly 'cos I have to deal with our baggage and a wheelchair. I am kinda looking forward to coming at Britain from t'other end (so to speak.) Flying from Vancouver to Aberdeen via Reykjavík and back, instead of through London.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                A couple of friends have done London to Edinburgh in the sleeper train and were really unimpressed, though I'm afraid I can't really remember why. I think they expected a higher level of Agatha Christie-style exotic luxury than they got.
                Yeah, I've heard it's not great too. I went to university in Edinburgh and loved that train journey, especially the Newcastle/Berwick/Edinburgh stretch.

Comment

The Caledonian sleeper service is currently being refurbed, though by outsourcing bastards Serco, so might well remain heavy pish.

Comment

No more spending a penny (or 30, 40 or 50 of them) at the main stations.

Network Rail sets date for axing all train station toilet charges.

Comment

I had occasion to use the London Bridge toilets the other day and was pleasantly surprised to find there was no charge.

Comment

Yeah, it's only the 20 Network Rail run but they're biggies with lots of staff about. Can't see any reason to charge.

Comment

Amused by NR earning £450k from Kings Cross when you can just go over the road to St Pancras and use theirs for free.

Comment

I'm fairly sure there haven't been charges at London Bridge for a while. Victoria has also removed it's turnstiles.

Comment

I'm fairly sure there haven't been charges at London Bridge for a while.
                              May well be the case. I hadn't used them since the reopening. Can't remember when I last used them before that, either.

Comment

It's equally possible I'm wrong to be fair.

Comment

Pretty sure you don't have to pay at Leeds station either, at least not if you use the toilets on platform 14/15.

Comment

It’s a result of their CP5 underspend. They were told that if they are to keep it, it needs to be on 'customer friendly' initiatives that can be completed before April.

They have chosen to make the toilets crackhead friendly and are nuking any vegetation within sight of a rail line.

Comment

Control Period budgets are big numbers. Anything else left for something I might like? Extra discount with my Bite card, that sort of thing?

Comment

£30m per route left over, primarily from the rainy day fund (ie they made provisions for another Dawlish that didn’t happen).

Comment

Per route? That sounds a lot.

Comment

I went for a slash at Euston earlier and the barriers were open.

So... yeah.

Comment

Leeds station was free if you were "railside", i.e. on a platform, but pay on the concourse.

Comment

Three guesses as to who Chris "So competent I got lawyers to go on strike" Grayling is blaming for the latest fares hike.

Comment

Philip Hammond, seeing he did the Budget?

Comment

Why the fuck has the cost of my Friday evening ticket home doubled? It was fine in January. February onwards is twice as much.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X