REM at the BBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REM at the BBC

Is on BBC4 tonight, no doubt available on the i player soon afterwards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...M._at_the_BBC#

Looks like there'll be some vintage performances from the archives, including Orange Crush on TOTP in 1989.

Michael Stipe and his megaphone were the coolest thing that my sixteen year old eyes had ever seen. I still love watching it now.

It has to be said though: the open suit and bare chest look hasn't aged too well. Did any other pop/rock stars try that at the time?

Oh, and the TOTP audience. I thought it was quite funny the way they were bopping up and down and clapping. Evidence, I'd say, of their tacit approval of US policy in Vietnam.

REM at the BBC

Just tried to download it, not available!

Comment

REM at the BBC

Pity there was only 15 minutes on REM with Bill Berry. Not much BBC can do about that.

Doesn't matter I guess, in 20 years time most fan's memories of REM will hardly extend beyond about 1994. For everyone else that's how they feel about them now.

Comment

REM at the BBC

historyman wrote:
        It has to be said though: the open suit and bare chest look hasn't aged too well. Did any other pop/rock stars try that at the time?
        I think of it as Bobby Brown's signature look, subsequently taken up by numerous Jamaican dancehall artists.

The real nadir of skipped base layer style came a couple of years later with the v neck pullover modelled by Michael Douglas in Basic Instinct's deeply unsexy nightclub scene.

Comment

REM at the BBC

benjm wrote:
          historyman wrote:
          I think of it as Bobby Brown's signature look, subsequently taken up by numerous Jamaican dancehall artists.

The real nadir of skipped base layer style came a couple of years later with the v neck pullover modelled by Michael Douglas in Basic Instinct's deeply unsexy nightclub scene.
          I think Stpe ripped that look off Bonio didn't he?

Green is my favourite album of theirs, and Tourfilm was great. But that followed in the footsteps of the U2 wide Awake tour movie, and I do seem to remember at that particular time the two bands being lumped together.

Comment

Working...
          X