Runner's screed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runner's screed

That is brilliant, WFD. Literally, that is what running is all about. You keep on going up and you will be amazed how many miles you can get up to. There is a natural glass ceiling, I think, where either your age, your frame or physique or your time commitments stop you. For instance, due to my back, knees and hips, regular 6 miles plus runs are beyond me. Apart from that, you really can, with not much repetition and practice, run great distances. Your 3 miles isn't far off and, then, before Christmas I bet, you will do your first 5 miles and that really does feel like a landmark. Don't worry about the speed either.

With the aforementioned back, I have been off the running and any other exercise apart from 5-a-side every Thursday. Indeed, apart from the fact I am enormous, it is the fact that I find 5-a-side hard now when, in March, football didn't touch the sides that means that I am trying to get back to running. Did an unsatisfactory 4 miles yesterday. I am trying to redo the runs a year on from last year when I was training for the half-marathon. Unfortunately, I am not doing the boot camps weekly that increased my stamina hence the unsatisfactory nature, I suppose.

Comment

Runner's screed

I've tried to avoid turning this into a personal running blog but I'm a week away from my scheduled parkrun debut and this morning set a new best distance of 3.5 miles continuous. I managed 3 for the first time three weeks ago and have been happy to maintain my original target distance rather than aim for longer distances just yet (not least cos the Cumbrian weather has been somewhat challenging lately). However I've committed to a 10k at the end of January, and it's a run/walk/jog, all abilities event so I'm not under pressure to hit a particular maximum time.

Comment

Runner's screed

Good to see you're keeping at it, WFD, and setting yourself goals and new running experiences to do. Those parkruns look brilliant. I keep on meaning to so the one here but the early Saturday start and the fact I have to drive there puts me off.

My back is still fucked and has now developed into sciatica on my left hand side. Had an MRI and waiting to see a consultant. However, since that last post I have made, I have done a couple of 5 miles and a 6 miles. It isn't good for my back (or knee) but I had to do something otherwise I would be the size of a house. I think I may mix it up with some cycling or swimming. Someone suggested pilates would be good for my back so may give that a go as well.

Comment

Runner's screed

Nice to see WFD's gradual improvements recorded. I remember going through this 7 or 8 years ago and it's quite a fulfilling exoerience.

Since then it's all gone to pot. Last month, upthread i reported a "comeback" run which was admittedly too far, too soon. But sadly this hasn't led to anything as I've had a chest cough for over three weeks which has turned into bronchitis and also a bit asthmatic.

So now on antibiotics and an inhaler and I have a crap immune system so recovery is taking ages. What's really frustrating is I don't "feel" unwell, just my lung capacity and energy levels are buggered and I have to take it easy.

Not even walking now, God knows what my fitness will be like when this clears up.

Comment

Runner's screed

On today's run - almost 10km, very slow but further than I've run in weeks - I was thinking that it's 26 days to Christmas, and a marathon has 26 miles.

So, if I make sure I run every day, even if it's just one mile, I'll have run an "Advent Marathon".

Clearly, of course, advent starts on December 1st. And I'll run more than a mile on many days. And there should be a 360 yard element, or something. So it's not a completely coherent, logical thing to do.

But it should fight against at least a little bit of the festive lard and excess.

And I reckon that I (almost anyone, in fact) can run one mile. No matter how many mince pies I've eaten the day before. No matter how hungover I am. No matter how far I have cycled or am going to cycle. It's an achievable goal. And, sort of a nice round number.

Comment

Runner's screed

As Bored alluded to, why are Parkruns (and other organised starter running activities) always so bloody early in the morning? Yes, on a weekend, 9am is early, thank you.

For me, that just adds to the 'we're fitter than you unfit slobs' holier-than-thou mentality of the running set, I am afraid.

I want to start, and to get my 11-year-old interested in running further (she goes to athletics club once or twice a week but doesn't care for long-distance/cross-country running) but why does everything have to be 9am on a Saturday or a Sunday? That says to me "Hey, you are not allowed to run with us serious pros unless you are up really early on the only days you are not getting up for work/school, you lazy fuck."

We'd have definitely been if they were say 11am, but 9am at the nearest one 8 miles away means we're having to be up before 7:30 in order to have breakfast early enough, get dressed, get there in good time etc. It's hard enough getting the kids up at 7:30 in the week, never mind weekends.

Hats off to you guys who do do that.

Run on your own I hear you cry. No, I don't particularly want to do that. I want to start by doing it properly, and I don't know enough to start on my own.

Comment

Runner's screed

Reader I [strike]married[/strike] did it, making my parkrun debut in an official time of 31:18. We were supposed to do the Delamere Forest one but it was cancelled last night due to the weather, so after some hasty googling we settled on Warrington, which went ahead.

Onwards and upwards, and did four miles in training yesterday so edging up to my next target of 10k.

Comment

Runner's screed

When I was doing the training for the half marathon, I realised that I was most comfortable at what my wife would call "a cheeky 5/6 miles" and wanted to maintain that distance. It is enough to test you without completely knackering your body if you regularly do it and doesn't take all bloody day. Anything under, at that time, didn't touch the sides really and anything over fucked up my back and hips. Staying at 5 or 6 miles just buggered up my knee but so did anything under.

I have finally hauled myself back to 6 miles and that is just under 10k and there, I think, I will stay. I may try and make that 10k a bit harder - running hills, running with weights etc - but I can't see myself going over that. It will be interesting to see how you feel when you get to 6 miles/10k - whether you want to go further or stay at that and improve your time. I have never been a fast runner so am not sure whether I want to try and increase my times although I am starting to slightly increase on the exact same runs at the exact same time last year. Anyway, I missed out last week due to work so must get back to another 5/6 miles this week.

Well done, by the way. 31.18 is a good time and you had a perfectly good excuse for not doing it. You are obviously getting the benefit of it. After four miles, the jump up to 5 and 6 is fairly smooth.

Comment

Runner's screed

Awesome work, Mr Flanagan's-Dog. Keep it up!

I'm at day 10 of consecutive days running; but only 4 of them have I run more than a mile. I'm most proud of getting off my arse and running on days I've also cycled 70 miles. It may only be one mile, but it's a fucking hard mile. I'm coming to respect triathletes even more than I did before. Or maybe I just think they're even more insane.

Comment

Runner's screed

Into the new year and still going. I'm now the veteran of five 5k parkruns, having settled into the local one, and turned up for the full festive programme - Xmas Day, Boxing Day, NYD and yesterday - though the NYD one was called off when we got there (having had the soberest NYE for some time), due to the course being icy.

Yesterday my sister, who is a proper veteran (50+ parkruns in 18 locations), came to run with me as it was my birthday, and she commented it was one of the hardest courses she's done (the winter course is basically a long down and long up, five times, and about 200m over the standard distance) so I'm glad I'm holding my own on it and getting used to the course, so it'll feel a bit easier when I run on flatter courses.

I'm not particularly sociable and haven't gone into it to make friends, but it's brought me back into contact with a couple of lapsed mates, who are regulars; I've got to know other vague acquaintances a bit better and I'm on nodding terms with some of the other regulars. I'm now 'a guy that runs'.

First 10k at the end of this month, with another earlier one still a possibility. I found myself leafing through a running magazine in Asda today, but came to my senses, put it down and carried on to the fresh pizza counter.

Comment

Runner's screed

San Bernardhinault wrote: I'm at day 10 of consecutive days running; but only 4 of them have I run more than a mile. I'm most proud of getting off my arse and running on days I've also cycled 70 miles. It may only be one mile, but it's a fucking hard mile. I'm coming to respect triathletes even more than I did before. Or maybe I just think they're even more insane.
                        This is why triathletes have the very refined seat position with aerobars. The idea is it is a somewhat different form of bike riding muscle group wise so you actually haven't spent 100 odd miles busting your legs before a marathon.

Not that any of it is in the slightest bit easy anyway.

Comment

Runner's screed

You are genuinely an inspiration to us, WFD. I do have to say though that I am worried that you are doing some of that "not drinking before running" stuff. Running with a hangover after a night on the piss is the true sign of an athlete. That's how explain my times.

Comment

Runner's screed

I did my first Parkrun on Saturday (my sister should do her 100th later this month) and finished third in 19:10. I was very pleased with this, although slightly perturbed that the lad finishing second, around a minute ahead of me, was about twelve.

I did this at Crosby, which is a nicely mixed course, the first third on grass, the middle third on the Tarmac promenade and the final third on the beach. I plan to go again, and probably try the one at Ormskirk on the Edge Hill campus at some point.

Comment

Runner's screed

Impressive efforts all round. Since my too-far flash in the pan run in October and subsequent bronchitis(!) I've been back walking again, usually my standard hilly 7k (just over 4 miles) which takes me just over an hour. Probably did four over the period from the 25th December to yesterday.

My challenge at the moment is still that I enjoy the walks - I don't hang around, what they call "power" walking. But I still don't feel the yearning to run, and the crunch is approaching:

The Lindfield 10k is on in late March or early April (don't know yet) and is usually something of a curtain raiser for the season in these parts. It's on a hilly route like my local one, and has the added benefit of being within walking distance of my place.

If I can get running in time, I could have a crack at it this year, and that's often a springboard for the year, so I could build up to the legendary City2Surf 14k in August, and if feeling really good by September the Bridge Run half marathon.

So a lot depends on my approach in the next few weeks. In my gut I feel it's going to be another year of walking, but you never know.

Comment

Runner's screed

Thank, WFD, you got me off my arse to run 3 miles today. It was pretty meh but I am fat and haven't run for a while. This about eating for running is interesting and there is another episode next month.

Comment

Runner's screed

Indulge me internet acquaintances, I have progress to report and there are numbers involved.

To maintain focus and momentum I opted for the earlier organised 10K which took place today. I planned my last 'long' run for Wednesday this week, aiming for five miles by adding another loop to my usual local figure-of-eight route. However after some quick maths on the way round I realised this would leave me at 4.8 miles and so, at 2C and pissing rain I hit the loop for a third time and for a laugh threw in the 'over the hill' option back to the house, to produce a 5.5 mile run.

So after a warm up yesterday at Parkrun I was feeling confident and well prepared for the 10K. Then several inches of snow fell on Carlisle and it was touch and go overnight whether the race would go ahead - but, confirmed only a couple of hours before the start, they got it on with the aid of some Council gritters (not rhyming slang) and I got round in (on my watch, the chip times aren't out yet) 60 mins 49 secs.

Meanwhile our local Parkrun remains on the winter course, which I make to be 5.2km, and I've taken a minute off my time over the last two weeks, and now at 30:16 which should equate to around 29 mins when they revert to the standard course.

Sticking at 10K for now, got another three planned in the next couple of months, but Big Walking season is looming which will knock things out for a while, but once I've got through that I'll look to see what I want to aim for over the summer.

Comment

Runner's screed

Second 10K completed today, squeezed between a late return from Edinburgh last night and today's festivities at Brunton Park, running from the top end of Carlisle over the border to Gretna, in a pleasing time of 57:42. Lots of nice straight bits and long sweeping bends, with three or four up & downs but otherwise mostly flat.

Generally well organised event but the 9km marker had blown over (and my watch had already packed in) so I didn't know how close I was to the end until I was nearly there.

Comment

Runner's screed

Good time there, WFD. I wish I could get under 10 minutes let alone well under like you.

Comment

Runner's screed

In October SouthdownRebel wrote: I've considered taking up running recently, as I don't have room for a bike and the gym is not for me. I hadn't considered running to/from work but perhaps once into the swing of it that wouldn't be a bad idea - it's about seven miles I think, so maybe doing half by train and half on foot would be about right.

That said, I'm an expert at considering doing things and never actually doing them.
                                        And four months later I've finally done something about it - new running shoes ordered, along with a lightweight jacket for use in the rain. I'll probably get some contact lenses too - I used to wear them every day but gave up because all too often my eyes dried out. A couple of times a week should be fine.

Comment

Runner's screed

Well done SDR for getting your finger out. I did my usual 7km hilly walk yesterday and was reminded that our local 10k "fun" run is in six weeks and I could still register. So I attempted a light jog. It hurt, so ten paces later I went back to walking.

But I got going three more times so at least I mixed a bit of running in, including forcing myself to keep going up the steepest section. Who knows if I will keep it up.

Comment

Runner's screed

Good stuff, and an excuse to roll out a February update early.

A further 'official' 10k, on a flat course in Lancaster - started too quickly with a 7:55 first mile and 27:17 for the first 5k and paid for it in the second half but hung in for 57:37 and a slight improvement on my previous, and 74th out of 93 (it was a competitive field, honest).

Shaved a few seconds off at parkrun the week before that, then on Saturday thought I was having a change of scenery by doing the St Helens one only to find a very similar course, though at least it was only three laps so only three 'ups' - came in at 28:29 which is much better than my usual local performance even taking into account the slight variation in distance. It was also good prep for a 10k I'm doing there next month as the park is part of the course, so I scoped most of it.

Aiming to extend my midweek training run to eight miles this week, with a weekend off coming, then back to it next week ahead of, on consecutive weekends, two official 10k runs and a 30 mile walk.

Oh and I've officially blown my cover, I've got the email tonight saying my membership of the local running club, and therefore my registration with England Athletics, has been processed. My name is WFD and I am a runner.

Comment

Runner's screed

Finally got round to registering for my local 10k run which is on April 3rd. It's a very hilly course round the 'burbs here.

For the last few months all I've done is walking, a decent 7k over similarly hilly roads. But once I registered I needed to get some practice in. I lost the weekend two weeks ago due to thick smoke hanging over the area from controlled burns. Last week I managed to run the 7k, very slowly.

Today I extended my distance to 10k for some proper preparation which was OK, albeit slow again. Trouble is now I'm remembering the things about running I dislike. I detected the early signs of a migraine about half an hour after getting home (tunnel vision; more often it's auras) so took two preemptive Panadeine. This deadens the bad pain but also zombifies one somewhat and delivers a nauseous undertone, so basically I feel like shit.

I'm seriously thinking this run on the 3rd may be the time when I just accept I'm a walker. I am nearly 52, I suppose it's OK.

Comment

Runner's screed

March update from the outskirts of athleticism.

Two very different 10Ks, one in St Helens with 1,800 fellow runners, one in the Lorton valley in Cumbria with just over 200. Both hilly in their own way, St Helens making you run up North Road four times at different angles (but letting you finish in Langtree Park), while Lorton being somewhat up and down for the first half then a brutal hill to contend with before a mainly downhill back leg.

Up to eight miles on the weekly midweek solo run, and still making progress at Parkrun (by getting more used to uphill running, mainly).

Back to my neglected first fitness love of walking today though, charity walk from Workington to Keswick via Honister, 32 miles in 7:51 (no running today). Honister is where the record rainfall fell during Storm Desmond, but the weather was glorious today (too glorious perhaps, cos I'm still glowing now). Workington is at sea level, Honister is 1,167ft/356m and the pass rises 1 in 4 in places. I also had to go back over the aforementioned brutal hill from the 10K, but it was easier at 4 mph.

Back on the 10K circuit next month, but I need a rest just now...

Comment

Runner's screed

First 5k was on Sunday, as part of Couch To 5k programme started in January.

Hard work. Aching etc. I think I'll try to get better at 5k before doing anything silly like 10k. The idea of running for an hour (and the rest) just seems silly. Let's get the 5k skills properly built up first.

Comment

Runner's screed

Good point there, and it's something I learnt when doing long distance walking and had to learn again when I started running - that it's as much about the time as the distance, and getting used to doing nothing but run for half an hour, an hour, 90 minutes etc. I've gradually increased time and distance and now find I can run comfortably for eight miles / nearly 90 minutes, at a reasonable training speed of 10-11 minute miles, and aiming to step up again when the evenings get lighter. When I'm walking, I think about everything but walking, when I'm running I just think about running, and it does get tiresome after a while.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X