So this Facebook thing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since they've started showing up on my timeline, and since I have no idea how to stop it happening, I've found myself only reading articles on the Guardian website that portray me in a good light. Or, probably more pertinently, in what I presume portrays me in a good light. Something lefty political, something whimsical and cultural, something about bees, an article about Wayne Rooney that slipped in because I forgot all about my template for public perception. It's a fucking minefield.

I suppose this is the modern day equivalent of arranging books on my bedside table if I'm expecting to bring someone back to my room. The collected works of Orwell, Race for The South Pole, The ragged Trousered Philanthropist, and whatever trashy piece of shit I'm actually reading.

Of course, engineering a perception of me like this is entirely useless given that it becomes immediately obvious what sort of a brain-fried moron I am within about a minute and a half of meeting me. But hey, it fills seconds, minutes and hours, dunnit?

I can't escape the notion that Facebook is the narcissist's best friend.

Comment

The Exploding Vole wrote:
      I can't escape the notion that Facebook is the narcissist's best friend.
      That's not fair. It's also good for voyeurs.

As for the Guardian thing, I think you can avoid it if you don't "like" the Guardian on Facebook or accept their application and just read articles on their website. But maybe I'm wrong about that?

Comment

https://twitter.com/Max_Fisher/status/1031929601117827073

https://twitter.com/Max_Fisher/statu...29601117827073

Comment

You drag these threads up and I've absolutely no idea what the fuck I'm on about.

Comment

Comment

I have a genuine question about dear old Facebook – if you are self-employed/have a small business, is it worth having a Facebook page in 2018? I am self-employed and have a page for my business, such as it is, but desperately want to bin off my personal profile as I’ve completely had enough of it, but that would mean losing my business page too. People have told me I should keep it as having a page is worth it just for the presence (makes you seem more professional or ‘real’ if there’s a page out there), even if none of your business comes through there. In terms of business generation the reach now is virtually non-existent unless you’re prepare to pay for things (which I’m not, to be honest), which does make me wonder what the point is, especially when the only people who ‘like’ my page are my friends and I struggle to ever think of anything worth posting. I do also have a Twitter ‘work’ account and LinkedIn (as well as a website), so would I really lose out on anything by sacking off Facebook?

Comment

I think it depends on the nature of your business. If your clientele are generally regular people, then FB is a good idea, but if you mostly do work for businesses, then LinkedIn might be better. If you're going to have to pay to be seen on FB, I think your website is enough, as long as you're coming up in Google searches.

Edited because you said you already have a website--I was going to suggest setting one up.
                Last edited by Femme Folle; 27-08-2018, 12:44.

Comment

I'd say 'yes'. The more places that someone can go - and 'verify' you and get a sense of who you are - the better. It might just be a gut-check to say 'okay, he's a real guy...he looks decent...', and that's all it needs to be.

Comment

WWTD?

Comment

T would have some kind of cathartic 'daily abuse' page where he vents into the ethernet about some c*nt or other that requested _______ beer, tried to use the lav for free, or thought they should get a free round on their birthday. However, it would serve as a good primer for the uninitiated who just thought they'd roll up unprepared and play a relaxing game of mini-golf (sans train ride).

Comment

If you want to keep the business fb page open but close your own account, find a couple of mates who you trust and ask them if they'd be OK having admin rights for the page. Then you can close your account but the business page stays up. Obviously if it's one of those pages that generates enquiries to any degree then it might be a hassle for them, or if it is one of those sites that you need to post regularly to remind people that you exist.. But if it is basically a portal to your website then that's the best approach

Comment

I would strongly second FF's advice on how industry-specific this can be.

In my line of work, for example, a FB page would have exactly the opposite connotation from what WOM suggests. It would be seen as evidence of a scam of some sort.

But that obviously doesn't apply to the vast majority of businesses that rely on the general public.

Comment

The level of requirement for any online presence is a lot more uncertain than people like to make out. Allen & Co doesn't even have a website yet somehow it the go-to tech advising Investment Bank.

If you can't see it achieving anything you most likely don't need it.

Comment

My attitude toward social media is the same as Kramer's to the US mail.

But I fear it's going to end the same way for me as it did for him. Especially with twitter, which I hate. It feels like SM is going to be as obligatory as the mail or owning a phone or, now, email.

My bosses insist we use it to promote our site and to build our "brand" and all that. I can't see any evidence that it helps. I've live-tweeted meetings on it. When I was working for a free/ad-supported site, there was some evidence that some people were following it and maybe that drove traffic. But now I do it for a paid site behind a paywall and I can't see evidence that anyone is paying attention. Nothing we do is going to go viral.

I'm ok with Instagram, though I've really pared down my follow list. It deliberately makes it hard to "re-gram" stuff which cuts down on the detritus. It seems to be the social media platform favored by the young people, so it probably has the brightest future, but it's ad algorithm is not very good. Currently, Instagram thinks I live in Colombia (a country I've never been within 1,000 miles of).

I've come to believe that "feeds" are just terrible. Our brains - or, at least my brain - aren't designed to process information like that.
                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 27-08-2018, 17:38.

Comment

Mrs P has had a business page for a long time for her artwork. When she set it up, it was a big thing, it got a lot of interest and clicks. Over time, the various algorithm changes have absolutely killed the outreach. Where a single post would get to 2000 people, now she is lucky to get 50. So she's pretty much stopped publicising the business through it - the markets we are at are pretty much the only posts she makes. Every other option for increasing her reach is locked behind paid for advertising which we don't do.

What FB is still useful for it following up - we hand out flyers with every sale and to interested customers with the dates/shows we are at for the next month and encourage people to contact us via FB to place orders for collection. So it is still useful for that interaction.

She's started using Instagram and is getting a huge audience on that now. (She hates Twitter and does a simple "here we are!" "thanks" and occasional retweets of the market adverts.) People are finding us at markets thanks to Instagram posts.

Comment

All good points, thanks all. It does seem to be pretty much accepted that Facebook is dead as a marketing opportunity (unless you're prepared to shell out for the paid features), but also does seem worth maintaining a presence on there for credibility, so I will continue to do that now. I'm just a humble copy-editor/proofreader, so not exactly big business, but I do have a website alongside FB, Twitter and LinkedIn accounts for my work, which I think definitely does help with that credibility/visibility, rather than directly generating business. The vast majority of new business that comes my way tends to come from having a listing in the directory of my professional society.

Anyway, I think I've reached a compromise of downloading Messenger (which I do use a lot) as a separate app on my PC as well so I now will never have to bother even logging in to the Facebook site unless I'm going to post something on my work page (and I'd already deleted the FB app off my phone a while back).

Comment

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1053252870722764800

Comment

That's an odd definition of "Exclusive" that the FT uses, since every media outlet I know of made this announcement in the hour before them.

But still, yeah. Fucking Nick Clegg. Fucking facebook

Comment

Yeah yeah.

"Facebook" in the thread title.

It's a fair cop.

And the second sentence of what ah said

Comment

So when does Tim Farron start his job at Grindr?

Comment

I've managed to block all The Guardian posts, using FBP. Aces. Fuck those assholes.

Comment

Working...
                                            X