Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

May your cock always be sore. (See at about 3'13'')

I'll be seeing you on the bus, then?

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

I can't believe he's still alive.

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

Apparently they had been at it the night before that concert.

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

George wrote:
        Apparently they had been at it the night before that concert.
        Absolutely. The quote is allegedly "My cock's still sore!" according to lipreaders I don't know and have never met.

Anyway... some more! Ladies and gentlemen... I give you David Bowie - mentalist.

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

It's difficult to see any TV footage from that period containing Chris Evans and not...well actually it's just difficult.

He's retired now according to people in the industry, and the fact that he's hardly ever seen in public anymore gives rise to sporadic rumours about his health - a bit like Holly Johnson back in the '90s who was subjected to the occasional 'He's on deaths door apparently' comment by radio presenters every so often. Mind you he probably was at one point.

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

Tina Turner does look damn hot in that video, he's just doing his bit for US-UK relations.
            Sexy relations.

evilC's posting of that interview reminded me of one I saw on TV ages ago with the Bowie. His general schtick was that an average day for him was to set up a load of cameras around the house, record him and his families movements during the day before settling down of an evening with the family and watching the footage, whilst having discussions about it, he's a properly funny fucker.

I would link it but I have no sound on this PC.

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

It's difficult for a Bowie obsessive like myself to put into words all that he is to me, but saluting him merely as "the man who knobbed Tina Turner" is absurdly reductive.

To paraphrase Blanche Dubois (talking about love), when I was 12, a bright light was shone on the world; he changed my life forever. First there's the music - beautiful, strange, breathtaking in its range, evocative in lyric (I disagree that he is pretentious; when he writes directly he is very good, but he prefers to be abstract), but there's also his extraordinary physical beauty, that vulpine, exquisitely boned face set off by those wicked teeth and the mismatched pupil, that thin but muscled dancer's body, that raw and unmistakeably masculine sexual energy, for all his playing around with, and subversion of, notions of sexuality.

I'll shut up and write more elsewhere, but man, was he a star.

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

And I haven't even mentioned the shoes, the hair ...

Without Bowie, how many of us would ever have heard of Iggy, or Lou Reed? Jean Genet? Even Andy Warhol had his profile raised far beyond art circles through Bowie's work, directly and indirectly. For all the claims that he stole etc. he gave back far more (don't get me started on Angie, who apparently would have been the world's greatest star if he hadn't nicked all her ideas. He must also have made off with any discernible talent, it seems) and was generous and open in crediting those who inspired him.

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

MsD wrote:
                  It's difficult for a Bowie obsessive like myself to put into words all that he is to me, but saluting him merely as "the man who knobbed Tina Turner" is absurdly reductive.
                  It's not often someone says something on here that makes me feel so angry so immediately, but fuck off! I did not call him that - and certainly not with the intention you state - nor would I ever. It's just one tiny thing he's done and I was having a bit of fun about it. Thanks for pissing so accurately on such a small firework. Must take a lot of practice.

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

MsD wrote:
                    ... but there's also his extraordinary physical beauty, that vulpine, exquisitely boned face set off by those wicked teeth and the mismatched pupil, that thin but muscled dancer's body, that raw and unmistakeably masculine sexual energy, for all his playing around with, and subversion of, notions of sexuality.
                    Er,yeah, great hair too.
                    That's the secret of rock'n'roll longevity. Simple.Having great hair.
                    Well, that and a peerless canon of work from '71-80 helps too.

I nearly vomited at his Lord's Prayer skit at Freddy's Wembley gig, though.

What a total genius/ tosser.

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

20th anniversary of the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert this year as well. In recognition somebody should sit down and watch the monstrosity in it's entirety whilst giving us a running commentary on here.

Is Lou Reed the biggest fucking chancer rawks ever seen? The miserable twat!

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

I was commenting on the general content of the thread, EvilC, and I know how you'd react to a male journo pointing it out, so fuck off yourself.

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

George wrote:
                          20th anniversary of the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert this year as well.
                          Don't know which school you went to, but I'm sure 20 years after 1993 is in 2013!

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

Fucking hell, is it possible for someone to post something that is just inherently funny, without some jumped-up so and so waxing lyrical and giving it the wise owl bollocks on here?

Apparently not. Twit-twoo.

EDIT: Not aimed at squarewheelbike, though you did miss the crux of George's point somewhat.

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

How can a thread on Bowie get so bad tempered? I thought he was one of those artists who united prety much everyone on here. To dislike Bowie, or to not like at least something he did in the years '71-'80 strikes me as wilfully perverse.

Anyway, I'd just like to add I've only recently discovered how wonderful side 1 of Low is.

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

Disco Sea Shanties wrote:
                                  How can a thread on Bowie get so bad tempered? I thought he was one of those artists who united prety much everyone on here. To dislike Bowie, or to not like at least something he did in the years '71-'80 strikes me as wilfully perverse.

Anyway, I'd just like to add I've only recently discovered how wonderful side 1 of Low is.
                                  I think it started out good natured, funny even.
                                  Here's one of my favourites by the great man;

David Bowie - Somebody Up There Likes Me

And he had a Number 1 in the UK charts with 'Ashes to Ashes' on the day that I was born!

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

I'm a massive fan of his 70s music, but it's easy to feel awkward about the Fascist characterisation he used during The Thin White Duke period.

Personally, I think he was more of a theatrical liberal dabbler in Nietzsche and Crowley rather than a Nazi himself, but for a while in the mid 70s some of the stupid things he said were very dubious.

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

uber slacker wrote:
                                      I'm a massive fan of his 70s music, but it's easy to feel awkward about the Fascist characterisation he used during The Thin White Duke period.

Personally, I think he was more of a theatrical liberal dabbler in Nietzsche and Crowley rather than a Nazi himself, but for a while in the mid 70s some of the stupid things he said were very dubious.
                                      This is news to me!

*Starts googling like a madman*

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

So, Bowie blamed it on temporary madness caused by cocaine.

Yeah, I could believe that. Speaking from personal experience, coke is fucking savage. That shit will kill your soul in time.

Not that I went through a period of dabbling with fascism mind...

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

It's not the side-effects of the cocaine.
                                          I'm thinking that it must be love.

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

MsD wrote:
                                            I'll shut up and write more elsewhere, but man, was he a star
                                            Is a star, Ma'am, please. I've just been listening to Helden played very loud.

There was a birthday tribute from Mott the Hoople's Verden Allen on the Beeb earlier. He played the organ too, appropriately enough.

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

A friend of mine does a top Bowie-doing-Norman-Wisdom-doing-Bowie impersonation.

You can judge for yourself next time you're over, DG.

oooh, sausages,, Mr. Grimsdale, Starman

Etc.

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

Happy Birthday DB.

A mate at work does Bowiefied versions of everything that comes on the radio....I mean EVERYFUCKINTHING. Stella St and the late 80s Steve Wright Show have a lot to answer for.

I love his pre "Lets Dance" stuff but pretty much gave up on him album wise after "Scary Monsters" Ive four or five of em on CD and have never got beyond a couple of plays with each. Should I try again?

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr Bowie

He's an odd cove, Bowie. He has done massive amounts of really really shit stuff (and that is leaving aside his acting) but a lot of his stuff comes on the radio and I forget what absolute genius it is. I will even go as far as 'Blue Jean' from 'Tonight' as the last single of his that I will quite happily hum. 'Let's Dance' before that is great and the only time I have seen him was on that tour and, not only was it a great gig, but the first mainstream-ish gig I had seen by then the previous being all punk and metal.

Funnily enough, "Scary Monster" was the first album I got into of his and I worked my way backwards via a couple of girlfriends who were obsessed by him. Indeed, he is my wife's favourite artists as well but, luckily for me, she had a liking for Iggy Pop as well.

As far as the Pop link goes, The Stooges first two albums make sure that Iggy Pop would have been have equally as legendary and, indeed, self-destructive on their own but, fair play to Bowie, Raw Power is awesome and the Stooges best.

Bowie's best album? Got to be one of the two big rock ones with Alladin Sane getting the nod, I think

Comment

Working...
                                                  X