• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaah, that's lovely.

Comment

Gambino crime boss whacked

My first thought was "Whoa...retro."

Comment

Very much so, though connoisseurs will note a number of non-canon elements, including:

You didn't whack guys at their homes, wives and children could be involved, and even if they were not there, it was considered poor form. That was what barber shops, clam houses and parking garages were for.

No made man would have been caught dead in a pickup truck.

A war on Todt Hill could be highly disruptive, given that the neighbourhood has the most intense concentration of senior mobsters in the city.

Comment

I've already seen claims that the pickup and the home execution mean it was done by Albanians/Dominicans/someone else and not made guys. The fact the Gambinos deal a lot of drugs now gives the Albanian line some credence, since they're big in the NYC drug scene now.

Comment

Yes, that was my immediate supposition as well.

Comment

Francesco "Franky Boy" Cali

Disappointing.

Comment

They've arrested a young mook from Staten Island who apparently thought that Cali was keeping him from the girl of his dreams (a niece, it appears).
                Last edited by ursus arctos; 17-03-2019, 12:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Disappointing.
                  Hoping for 'Goinbackta' Cali?

I don't think so.

Comment

I thought that their nicknames usually refer to some form of sadistic speciality or an amusing anecdote from their younger years, like "Acid Sponge" or "Teal-Coloured Teenagers' Trainers," something like that.

Comment

This was my favourite line in the article;

“"Even Gotti had more respect,"” one police source told The Post. “"He did it out in Manhattan.”"

Comment

He gets it.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          Very much so, though connoisseurs will note a number of non-canon elements, including:

You didn't whack guys at their homes, wives and children could be involved, and even if they were not there, it was considered poor form. That was what barber shops, clam houses and parking garages were for.

No made man would have been caught dead in a pickup truck.

A war on Todt Hill could be highly disruptive, given that the neighbourhood has the most intense concentration of senior mobsters in the city.
                          Yeah, the mob is clearly in decline if they can’t even do this right. And in Staten Island? Feels a bit bush league.

Comment

Partly inspired by this thread, I watched a Nero Wolfe last night ('The Doorbell Rang'). Very enjoyable, esp the lunches

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1107787756632227840?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Well, I have learned from this thread, among many other things, that Danielmak is a published author, probably like at least 25% of posters here

Comment

I have an extra copy of one of his books, which I can give you in August

Comment

This is a heck of a story

https://twitter.com/Gothamist/status/1115651416868175873

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                      Well, I have learned from this thread, among many other things, that Danielmak is a published author, probably like at least 25% of posters here
                                      This thread might interest you...

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...ooks-by-otfers

Comment

Outstanding slide show of 70s transit and street scenes.

Comment

That makes me sad.

Comment

New York real estate developers are among the worst collections of people in the world

Comment

believe one of them became president

Comment

New York real estate developers are among the worst collections of people in the world
                                                It’s a good example of how most of the money now just goes to people who already have a lot of money, not to “innovators” or “hard workers” or some other right-wing fantasy hero.

I recently read a long essay/rant by a long term New Yorker about how landlords are destroying the world. It explained it all in detail. I can’t find it now.

I worry about it because I worry about everything these days and one of the things I worry about is that somehow I’m going to be compelled to work for an employer to move back to a major city in order to make a living and I don’t see how I could ever afford that. Hopefully the people who run my business can see that letting people work remote actually saves them money and gets them better people, but I’m not certain.

Comment

The more I read about today's working environment the more I know I'd be eaten alive by it. AdeC jr. reckons one of the most encouraging things about twenty-somethings is that they have no illusions. If an employer/job doesn't meet expectations they just say say "fuck it" and leave. They know there'll be another crap position round the corner next week.

Comment

Talk about a blast from the past. Coordinated raids in Palermo and NYC take down about 20 mafiosi

https://twitter.com/Agenzia_Ansa/status/1151442683770167296

Comment

Working...
                                                    X