No announcement yet.

New York in the 70s/80s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure just what you are talking about, which may answer your question.

If it is the New York Times series detailing why subway and rail construction here costs roughly twice what it does anywhere else, then that is a story (though there is a lot of handwringing over that being "just how it is" here)

Comment

That's the one.

Comment

The story is more frequently about the MTA being underfunded and a constant squabble between the Mayor and Governor. I am quite happy that while I will be back in NYC for work pretty soon I will not have to get on the subway system.

Comment

Three permanent truths:

1) transit is underfunded

2) state and local politics here are designed to serve special interests, while avoiding accountability, and have done both faithfully for close to 200 years

3) infrastructure construction costs are higher than they should be

Comment

Who does the National Audit Office role?

Comment

No one

See point 2 above

Comment

They are going to try and audit the pentagon for the first time ever.

It is going to cost more than a billion dollars to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  I'm not sure just what you are talking about, which may answer your question.

If it is the New York Times series detailing why subway and rail construction here costs roughly twice what it does anywhere else, then that is a story (though there is a lot of handwringing over that being "just how it is" here)
                  what a lovely euphemism for the mob

Comment

Not just one mob, though

There's the "mob", of course, but also the real estate development mob, the municipal and construction union mobs, the legislative mob, etc.

A large part of the reason why the trough is so broad and deep is because so many different interests have their snouts in it.

Comment

Over here, the real estate development mob are considered very helpful to keeping the costs of big transport projects down.

What's the problem there?

Comment

Christ almighty. We've had the National Audit Office since 1983. I've even got a hefty tome about them on my bookshelf. The devolved assemblies have their own audit offices.

Comment

The US is not the UK

New York is not London

Ex. 59,238

Comment

Even so, it's infrastructure. Supposed to be a big live political issue. Anybody looking at this would be justified in thinking, fuck it, I'll wait a bit longer in traffic and have a tax cut.

We're not exactly world infrastructure champs, but Network Rail have today outlined their £47bn spending plan starting next year. We look like Germans compared with New Yorkers.

Comment

Yes, virtually the entire developed world is better at it than we are because the system is massively rigged against public transport

Comment

Funny because your mayors were very much the model for ours. And transport is seen as the thing most likely to be done better by a city/metro mayor.

Comment

Ex. 59,239 . . .

Comment

Indeed.

Comment

More like the 1910's, but the quality of this restored film is remarkable/

Comment

What a great site! Fortunately it's raining today and I've got nothing planned...

Comment

Indeed. They have some incredible stuff.

Comment

Comment

Did I put this up before? From BBC's excellent Man Alive documentary strand, 1972. About the firemen putting the fires out in the South Bronx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygF3NJvy3bY

Comment

Not the 70s or 80s, but instead very up to date and extremely cool

https://twitter.com/viewingnyc/status/1028751245551366144

https://twitter.com/viewingnyc/statu...51245551366144

Comment

That's amazing.

Comment

Three minute film on a photographer who has been chronicling our neighbourhood for decades.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X