Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Artists win the 5Pointz case.

Ruling that graffiti — a typically transient form of art — was of sufficient stature to be protected by the law, a federal judge in Brooklyn awarded a judgment of $6.7 million on Monday to 21 graffiti artists whose works were destroyed in 2013 at the 5Pointz complex in Long Island City, Queens.
    This has the potential to be a big thing. The development of this site has been particularly contentious, as the developer has used the building's history to market his condos after having destroyed the vast majority of the art.

Ursus, is the transport authority overspend a big story?

I'm not sure just what you are talking about, which may answer your question.

If it is the New York Times series detailing why subway and rail construction here costs roughly twice what it does anywhere else, then that is a story (though there is a lot of handwringing over that being "just how it is" here)

That's the one.

Got 15 different iPhones but so ain't phoney
    The story is more frequently about the MTA being underfunded and a constant squabble between the Mayor and Governor. I am quite happy that while I will be back in NYC for work pretty soon I will not have to get on the subway system.

Three permanent truths:

1) transit is underfunded

2) state and local politics here are designed to serve special interests, while avoiding accountability, and have done both faithfully for close to 200 years

3) infrastructure construction costs are higher than they should be

Who does the National Audit Office role?

No one

See point 2 above

Got 15 different iPhones but so ain't phoney
    They are going to try and audit the pentagon for the first time ever.

It is going to cost more than a billion dollars to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by ursus arctos View Post
    I'm not sure just what you are talking about, which may answer your question.

If it is the New York Times series detailing why subway and rail construction here costs roughly twice what it does anywhere else, then that is a story (though there is a lot of handwringing over that being "just how it is" here)
    what a lovely euphemism for the mob

Not just one mob, though

There's the "mob", of course, but also the real estate development mob, the municipal and construction union mobs, the legislative mob, etc.

A large part of the reason why the trough is so broad and deep is because so many different interests have their snouts in it.

Over here, the real estate development mob are considered very helpful to keeping the costs of big transport projects down.

What's the problem there?

Christ almighty. We've had the National Audit Office since 1983. I've even got a hefty tome about them on my bookshelf. The devolved assemblies have their own audit offices.

The US is not the UK

New York is not London

Ex. 59,238

Even so, it's infrastructure. Supposed to be a big live political issue. Anybody looking at this would be justified in thinking, fuck it, I'll wait a bit longer in traffic and have a tax cut.

We're not exactly world infrastructure champs, but Network Rail have today outlined their 47bn spending plan starting next year. We look like Germans compared with New Yorkers.

Yes, virtually the entire developed world is better at it than we are because the system is massively rigged against public transport

Funny because your mayors were very much the model for ours. And transport is seen as the thing most likely to be done better by a city/metro mayor.

Ex. 59,239 . . .