New York in the 70s/80s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York in the 70s/80s

An illustration straight out of J.T. Chick's repertoire.

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

Flynnie wrote: I love the Albert Shanker mentions, I think we discussed him in previous pages about how the Jews became white (I think on page 7) in the Brownsville teachers' strike of 1968.
      Interestingly enough there was a government memorandum specifically aimed at breaking the 'Jewish-Black alliance'.

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

Well that would certainly explain the extremely questionable wisdom of black community school boards firing loads of leftist Jewish teachers without cause, setting in motion a chain of events that gave you Ed Koch.

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

As if any of that 'Fear City' stuff would happen these days.

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

I quite like that about Theresa May, that she tells the Police Federation to get lost.

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

Up on the iPlayer at the moment, an Omnibus from 1976 which is really just some film of some things happening in NY at the time. The first half gives you SoHo with excruciating vocalising, Kids From Fame dancing, and generally v poor lentilly under-bearded/sensible skirted fannying about. Some nice city scenes all the same.

But the second half follows graffiti writers across town (with a ripping funk soundtrack in places) and is pure ace.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02tc9t5/omnibus-new-york-new-york#group=p02tcc32

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

As Flynnie noted, one of the great chroniclers of my hometown in this period left us over the weekend.

Two months to the day after we lost a less renowned, but just as essential, New York muckraker.

Breslin lost his fastball in later years, and had a very unpleasant racist blow-up with a colleague that got him turfed from Newsday, but during his peak, he was the one that every ethnic Catholic kid who thought he could write wanted to be.

Some of Breslin's best columns for the Daily News are here.

The Lennon column was reported and dictated within three hours of Breslin getting a call at home (in Queens) that the Beatle had been shot. Anyone who has ever worked on deadline will know just how impressive that is (Breslin himself said that he didn't think anyone else could do it).

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

Jeez, there's me praising Theresa May right there.

I get Jimmy Breslin better now. RIP.

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

Speaking of portrayals of New York in the 1980s....

...Coming to America 2 in the works?

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

Awfully racist film but still hilarious in many moments.

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

Louie Anderson was on Nerdist (podcast) a couple of weeks back. I think he's probably nobody's favourite comedian, but he's a very interesting guy.

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

Don't forget, coming to America was Samuel L. Jackson's breakthrough film, and defined his character type for the rest of his career.

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

I didn't like coming to america. I thought it was childish, predictable, and shitty in the way it represented africa. I was 10 years old, and in hindsight already far too grown up for Eddie Murphy.

I didn't see "Eddie Murphy:Raw" until I was at least 20. It's hard to watch that without thinking that eddie Murphy is an utter cunt.

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

Did you hate Borat as well?

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

I'm reminded when Ali G asked Victoria Beckham if Brooklyn was too old for her music now.

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

antoine polus wrote: Did you hate Borat as well?
                                  I can't fucking stand Sasha Baron cohen's work.

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

If you haven't read the rest of this thread, Reg- may have been before your time- give it a go. It's absolutely the best.

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

Borat got some good laughs out of some awful people, but Brass Eye managed to do that, without making you think that everyone involved in the show was as bad as the people they were lampooning.

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

Borat made me pee with laughter.

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

I don't get his targets. Deluded suburban kids, Foreigners with funny voices and now the fat lolz morons of shit coastal towns. Way to go with the cutting satire. Truth to power Sasha.

And he's married to Isla Fisher. The prick.

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

ursus arctos wrote: As Flynnie noted, one of the great chroniclers of my hometown in this period left us over the weekend.

Two months to the day after we lost a less renowned, but just as essential, New York muckraker.

Breslin lost his fastball in later years, and had a very unpleasant racist blow-up with a colleague that got him turfed from Newsday, but during his peak, he was the one that every ethnic Catholic kid who thought he could write wanted to be.

Some of Breslin's best columns for the Daily News are here.

The Lennon column was reported and dictated within three hours of Breslin getting a call at home (in Queens) that the Beatle had been shot. Anyone who has ever worked on deadline will know just how impressive that is (Breslin himself said that he didn't think anyone else could do it).
                                            In light of some recent chats on the ever-present OTF topic of who the fuck are the Irish-Americans, he had some fantastic thoughts on Irish-American identity.

On the death of Richard J. Daley, the big boss:

For as they prayed over the body of Richard J. Daley, the immigration of the Irish to this country officially ended. The Irish came here out of the famines and the death boats, out of the denial and ridicule, out of the stockyards and the trades unions, out of the political clubs and the city halls of the big cities of the nation, and yesterday, Dick Daley, the last boss, took the meaning with him into the ground. The word Irish now means grandchildren and greatgrandchildren, and as it goes beyond this, as it does with each year, the meaning of the word fades and the people are American and nothing else.
                                            A lieutenant of police, Bob Reilly, came in for a drink. “This is the end of the trail,” he said. “This affair today was Celtic. Last time you’re going to see it. Forget about the Irish. They went to Notre Dame. They all came out different. Now they’re all out in the suburbs wanting to be Wasps. It’s not that good either, you know. I’m with the mayor. The mayor says, ‘You don’t move out of a great city.’”
                                            Later down he slips in a rather astonishing tidbit: Daley was increasingly anti-war after a neighbour's son was killed, and he was going to endorse Bobby Kennedy.

He was physically strking in his prime too, a big round face with enormous pork-knuckle hands and fingers. He seems to have lost a significant amount of weight in the late 80s and early 90s, for reasons I can't find out (ticker troubles?).

He had particularly distinctive way of smoking, looking like a cross between a kid sneaking a smoke and an attempt to find a more offensive hand gesture than the finger.

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

Flynnie wrote: He seems to have lost a significant amount of weight in the late 80s and early 90s, for reasons I can't find out (ticker troubles?).
                                              Isn't that when he stopped drinking?

Comment

New York in the 70s/80s

Now they’re all out in the suburbs wanting to be Wasps.
                                                Sounds like Dublin to me.

Comment

Artists win the 5Pointz case.

Ruling that graffiti — a typically transient form of art — was of sufficient stature to be protected by the law, a federal judge in Brooklyn awarded a judgment of $6.7 million on Monday to 21 graffiti artists whose works were destroyed in 2013 at the 5Pointz complex in Long Island City, Queens.
                                                  This has the potential to be a big thing. The development of this site has been particularly contentious, as the developer has used the building's history to market his condos after having destroyed the vast majority of the art.

Comment

Ursus, is the transport authority overspend a big story?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X