Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonderful news foxy!

Comment

Yeah great stuff Foxy. Hope it's all smooth from here on.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
        Fingers crossed that the lab results don't highlight anything aggresive.
        Sadly they have. The melanoma wasn't a benign one as we'd hoped and whilst the xrays on her chest and lungs were clear, the lab reports said it was an aggresive type and there is no guarantee that something won't return. One thing in her favour was that we took her to the vets early enough, so hopefully anything in the tumour wouldn't have had time to spread at all. All we can do is to keep checking her for lumps and bumps, espcially round the softer areas of her mouth, throat and eyes and keep our fingers crossed for the old girl.

Comment

Best of luck Foxy.

Comment

Tilly suddenly got very old. Whether it was the the after effects of her op, the heat or just father-time, she began to struggle. On walks she would be panting after 100 meters or so, and she got slower and slower. She began to stumble and tumble, and at home, she fell down the couple of steps into the garden a few times. Her back legs would give way occasionally and she was very stiff when laying down and getting up. She would make it out into the garden and just stare into space, or would go to the back door and not go out, seemingly wondering why she was there. Most mornings there would be a little present waiting for us; usually she would bark to go out, but now she was either unable to make it out in time, or was in such a deep sleep she wouldn't realise what she was doing.

My wife and I discussed this long and hard and whilst we love and adore the old girl so much, we both knew that it couldn't go on. Just got back from the vets and am absolutely heartbroken, though I know in my head we've done the right and best thing for her.

There is few things so sad as walking out of the vets with your dogs collar in your hand.

Comment

That's so sad.

Comment

It sucks that one of the best things you can do for a pet is also the most heartbreaking. Take care Foxy, and remember the good times you shared with her and the great life you gave her.

Comment

Condolences. That's terrible news

Comment

Really sorry to hear that Foxy, knowing you've done the right thing doesn't make it any less painful.

Comment

Haven't looked at this thread for a while. My condolences to you, Foxy -- with the heaviest of hearts, you did the right thing.

Comment

So sad for you Foxy, it must be heartbreaking but if she was suffering the it was the right thing.

Hope you can both find it within you to give another dog a home and all your love one day.

Comment

All my condolences, Foxy. You and Mrs F gave Tilly a wonderful life and were strong in taking the hardest decision when it was better for her than for you.

Comment

Oh god foxy I'm so sorry. We know our Mabel is on borrowed time now and it's true when they say 'a week too soon is better than a day too late.' But that doesn't make it any easier or less raw.

But thank you and your family for giving her the love and care in her golden years.

Comment

Condolences, Foxy. It is never easy to say goodbye to a beloved pet.

You did the right thing.

Comment

So sorry Foxy. What great family you were for Tilly, and she for you.

Your line about the collar finished me off.

Comment

So sad. My heart goes out to you Foxy.

Comment

I would like to add my condolences to what the others have said. Very sorry for your loss, but you did right by her and I am sure she appreciated everything you did for her and the life you gave her.

Comment

I hope Foxy will forgive my sharing Emily's 13th birthday with the board.

Comment

Happy Birthday Emily, you sweet pup!

And this was the first I’d seen of Foxy’s sad news, so add my condolences there x

Comment

Hello Emily, you gorgeous girl! Happy birthday x

Comment

Happy birthday Emily you gorgeous girl!!

Comment

We trialled our current dog (Spud, a 10 year old staffie who we've had from rescue for over 3 years now; at some point in his past he's had some unfortunate times with other dogs for those who don't know him) with a 7 year old Akita cross from the sanctuary called Tia. On both walks Tia was as good as gold; calm and placid, but whilst Spud was ok at first, as the walks went on, he became more despondant, his tail went between his legs, his body posture got lower and he started glancing more and more at the newcomer. Whilst this could be construed as a fighting threat, knowing the boy this was him becoming more and more defensive. We discussed it through and decided that if that was his actions out in the open, he could and probably would, be even more nervous inside the house, so we made the decision that we would now be a one-dog family as there was no way that we wanted to upset him after all of the work we've done with him, and we could do without another vet bill to patch either/both of them up.

These walks were over a week ago and the happy post-script is that Tia now has a positive interest on her at the sanctuary so hopefully will be off to her forever home soon.

Comment

Tough decision but it sounds like the best one for Spud, and he deserves it.

Comment

As mentioned upthread (or maybe another thread, I can't remember) Phoebe the Dog is now nine and over the past year has gone through a kind of meno-paws. She plays less, sleeps more, and spends more time snuffling around when we're on walks. However given the right dog and the right time she reverts briefly to her coquetteish youth. She'll still romp with dogs she knows, and especially any male dog that's up for it.

Though spayed years ago she clearly still smells good, particularly to un-neutered young males, and I guess vice-versa. She'll wrestle and run happily with them and even lets them lick her private parts. But, under no circumstances, can they approach her from behind. Even Deputy — a 160lb Bull Mastiff — gets told in no uncertain terms to back off, and does. She has this particular 'no means no!' bark that works instantly. Yesterday she met a year-old Vizsla for the first time and spent a joyous ten minutes playing canine tag. Then he made a fatal move toward her rear end, it wasn't even a very assertive one just tentatively put his chin on her rump, but he got "the bark." The poor dog leapt away, then ran and hid under a climbing frame in the kid's play area. There's magic in that bark that has been dropped somewhere during our ascent up the evolutionary tree.*

*I know that's a false analogy but it works in context

Comment

That's a great story AdC, Phoebe sounds one hell of a character, bless her.

Tilly used to give all dogs what we called the death stare. She was a big dog and any dogs that came in her vicinity, her eyes would harden, her body language went into aggressive mode, and a growl that came from her toes would start. Unless that other dog was a male labrador. Then she would go all coy and give doggy "yoo hoo, over here" signs and she'd become a playful pup. Even over 14 she'd still be a flirt if a chocolate lab was ever in her eyesight.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X