Worth the price of a cd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth the price of a cd

Cover art: something you download-crazy kids seem to have lost the taste for.

Anyway, I recently bought Jonsi and Alex's 'Riceboy Sleeps' and it's not only a lovely piece of musical work but the evocative cover art genuinely adds to the whole aesthetic pleasure of the product.

Similarly King Creosote and John Hopkins clearly chose the artwork for 'Diamomnd Mine' carefully to match the ambience of the music.

So, any other examples of cover art being just right for the sounds inside?

Worth the price of a cd

Cocteau Twins - 'Treasure'

(None of the versions of it on the web seem to get the colour just right, but this is the best I can find and even on this, the lettering is too orange-y. Gold doesn't scan well, basically! You'll just have to ignore the superimposed lettering in the bottom right-hand corner.)

-

-

This Mortal Coil - 'It'll End In Tears'

-

-

Biosphere - 'Substrata'

-

Comment

Worth the price of a cd

Yes, the Cocteau Twins' covers are generally as ethereally evocative as their music. After years of largely forgetting about them, I've been getting into them more and more every year for the past decade or so, though I only listen to them in winter. They are the perfect cold weather band, even more so if it's really icy or there's fresh snow on the ground. Though there's still a part of me that would love to knock out the DJ at a beach party/wedding/rave (do they still have those?) and play nothing but early 1980s 4AD releases back to back for three hours.

Agree with Tony, by the way, cover art is still very important to us old farts. Pitchfork did a nice feature on the worst 20 album covers of the year.

Comment

Worth the price of a cd

From the other end of the spectrum, the best cover art ever. Often imitated, never bettered.

Comment

Worth the price of a cd

Heh, is it fair to say that Clive has a type when it comes to covers?

imp wrote:
          Pitchfork did a nice feature on the worst 20 album covers of the year.
          There's some real shockers in there but I'm not sure why the Josh T. Pearson and Sondre Lerche covers are included, they're really not that bad.

Some of my favourite sleeves from the past year :

Comment

Worth the price of a cd

Although obviously Bored's post is a useful reminder that what constitutes a good cover is entirely subjective *winky thing*

Comment

Worth the price of a cd

imp wrote:
              Agree with Tony, by the way, cover art is still very important to us old farts.
              I'm sure that'll come back eventually. You know, art and everything. An i-pod is a beautiful gadget, but it's still only a gadget.

Comment

Worth the price of a cd

Bored of Education wrote:
                From the other end of the spectrum, the best cover art ever.
                Really? I thought 'Orgasmatron' was better. Well, more descriptive of what was within, at least. It helps that 'Riding With The Driver' is the ultimate Motorhead track, for my money.

Comment

Worth the price of a cd

Fussbudget wrote:
                  Heh, is it fair to say that Clive has a type when it comes to covers?
                  Heh! Absolutely ...and damn proud of it! :-)

This is still my very favourite cover, disregarding all the 'cult of...' bollocks that has followed:

-

-

I do like good, clean, classic lines - a pretty picture and a bit of nice typography. I like a bit of restraint too. The early-mid 80s were a classic time for sleeve art, with Peter Saville, Vaughn Oliver/23 Envelope and The Designers Republic all coming to the fore. However, I think 23 Envelope lost it a bit when they started doing all those hyper-colourful covers (starting with Colourbox, I think). TDR were never that restrained, of course, but beautiful in a different way. This may not be a cover, but it is genius, IMHO:

-

-

(edit: Amor to thread!)

Comment

Working...
                  X