I fyny y gweithwyr!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fyny y gweithwyr!

I am slightly confused by this. Is it because there are much less listeners to Radio Cymru than Radio Wales or Radio 2.

My radio royalties never having been a great part of my financial arrangements, I had naively assumed that there was a flat fee for each play.

I fyny y gweithwyr!

Impressive amount of anti-Welsh language sentiment in the comments. It seems reasonable to suggest that (as somebody with a better ability to write stated) since language is the single main identifying attribute of an autonomous culture, anyone with an interest in cultural diversity as an antidote to the stultifying monolithic uniformity of English-language culture on a global level ought to be concerned to encourage minority cultures and languages in this country and elsewhere.

I spent five years in a Welsh-speaking comprehensive and I've not really used the language since, but I'm all in favour of people fighting for the right to express themselves in their own native British language, and to be offered a forum and an equitable payment process for doing so. If we allowed market forces to dictate the future, we'd lose Welsh language media pretty quickly and that would be a sad day for our cultural diversity. I'm all for supporting the action.

Comment

I fyny y gweithwyr!

Yes, the thing that bothers me is that it is a public service broadcaster that is partly responsible for this. I mean I can understand the idea that, if a song is played to more listeners, you get paid more but it still makes uncomfortable, as an artist, that that a public service broadcaster which compiles playlists is effectively controlling revenue for artists.

I mean, a couple of Peel sessions I did as in an earlier band bankrolled that band for a while but that doesn't feel quite the same

Comment

Working...
      X