Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saudades - Cesária Évora died today

Cesária Évora died today, 70 years old.

Strangely, I've spent most of today with a splitting hangover listening to a box-set of her albums. Me and the other-half were frequently exchanging comments about how beautiful her voice is and that she's one of those musicians it's almost impossible to dislike. Then, whilst Cesária was playing on the hi-fi, my other told me the bad news.

Genuinely saddened, I've got some really great memories associated with her. Sadly, never saw her play live, even though she played a free show in Lisbon about 6 years ago. I'd never heard of her at the time and couldn't be bothered to go a see this old fat lady. I kicking myself more than ever now for missing it, probably the last show she played in Portugal.

I'm not afraid to say that I can't listen to this song right now without shedding a tear.

That's terrible news. Fantastic voice. And that song is hairs-standing-on-end wonderful.

RIP

Comment

Quite a few tributes going up on Facebook and Twitter now. The Sines World Music festival just posted this live performance of the song I posted above:

I forgot she smoked like a chimney.

I hold her up there with Johnny Cash in terms of being able to take a song and fill it with emotion and feeling to the point where the words almost become meaningless. I don't know many singers who can do that.

Another fav:

Comment

Horrible news. A unique artist who will be missed by everyone who heard her.

RIP

Comment

A minute's silence before Portuguese footy matches this weekend.

Comment

Lead story on the 8 o'clock news just now. I don't think it's possible to over-do the coverage of her death, always a pleasure to see her on TV.

One interesting piece of information I've learned is that she was a massive FC Porto fan.

Comment

erwin wrote:
              A minute's silence before Portuguese footy matches this weekend.
              Are you serious? Was she that much of an icon to get this?

RIP Cesária Évora, a fantastic voice even though I could not understand what she sand about it still meant something if you can see what I mean.

Comment

Antepli Ejderha wrote:

Are you serious?
                I was, Antepli ... but I was getting a bit ahead of myself - it was only at the FC Porto v Marítimo game.

Comment

Cape Verde isn't really a world leader in much, but Cesária Évora put the placed on the map, didn't she? Isn't Nani from there as well?

And in the bad old days, South African Airways would stop over in Cape Verde to refuel. So I've been to Cape Verde a couple of times. Nice tarmac and night sky.

Comment

I got to see her a few times. She was wonderful. I put her up there with the greats, Billie, Ella, Edith, etc. She'll be missed. 70 is still pretty young, though. I expected her to be one of those heavy smoking, drinking characters who defy the odds and live to a hundred. RIP

Comment

Yep, incredible singer. I saw her a few years back and she didn't look too healthy - had trouble getting on stage, let alone around it, and lit up a fat Marlboro in between songs. I've only seen Shane MacGowan and Mark E Smith look closer to death while performing.

Comment

Working...
                      X