Ice Cube's Architectual Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if this goes in world or film, but here is Ice Cube's architectual review of The Eames House in Los Angeles.

He apparently studied architecture before N.W.A, which suddenly makes his claims of bodies being hauled off after he squeezes the trigger of his sawed-off a little more suspicious (unless he was talking about pulling out his nail gun with sheisty contractors.)

Great video. I wonder what Ice Cube's own house—er, crib—is like.

I've marveled at this before, but if you had told me when I was in high school that Ice Cube would be the star of family movies and doing promotions for an arts institute while Whitney Houston would be a scary poster child for drug abuse, I wouldn't have believed it. (I would have been pleased at the idea, mind.)

Comment

Some of what he says is a bit cliche regarding LA, but you can believe that I loved 1:53 in.

The video is promoting a wide collection of exhibits in multiple museums and galleries around midcentury LA art, architecture, and design. LACMA has recreated the Eames' living room in their museum with all of the original stuff from their house, though as cool as that is to see up close, the greatest thing about the Eames House is its setting and how it relates to the location. It's not open for tours all that often, but I was lucky enough to go there one time.

Of perhaps less interest to people on here because of who it is, there is a video of Anthony Kiedis driving around with Ed Ruscha:

Comment

Nooooo! I love Ruscha and everything he's about. Letterforms as art, art as letterforms and the fact that he lives and gives additional meaning to place known by twin characters that aren't its name. Thanks for that, perked up my morning.

Comment

I feel like Flea would have been a more interesting interview. (I mean, if you must go with a Red Hot Chili Pepper.)

And if I were to pick an iconic L.A. musician to talk about Ruscha, I think I might pick Ron Mael. But he's obviously not as well known.

Comment

To me he is, though I don't associate him with L.A., more U.K. Who's Anthony Kiedis?

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
              To me he is, though I don't associate him with L.A., more U.K. Who's Anthony Kiedis?
              The singer/scatter for the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Sparks were bigger in the U.K., but they're from L.A.

Comment

Yeah, I meant that it was Anthony Kiedis that would turn people off of that other video, not Ed Ruscha. I love Ruscha.

Comment

Renart wrote:
                  Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                  The singer/scatter for the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Sparks were bigger in the U.K., but they're from L.A.
                  Yeah, it's 70's London I associate them with, not LA at all, no more than I would Scott Walker.

Yeah, I meant that it was Anthony Kiedis that would turn people off of that other video, not Ed Ruscha. I love Ruscha.

Ah, gotcha.

Comment

Yeah, although unlike Scott Walker, they've mainly kept L.A. as their home base. They sound very SoCal to me, but that might be because I first became aware of them around Angst in My Pants and only got into the earlier stuff later.

Anyway, Ron Mael lives in L.A., is funny, and has an interest in art, graphic design, and pithy phrases, so that's why I thought of him for Ruscha.

Comment

If anyone's interested, PBS American Masters documentary on Charles and Ray Eames.

Comment

The Eames film Powers of 10, which is fun for the whole family, is also available on Youtube.

Comment

When I went to the Eames Office website (their office is on a rather unremarkable stretch of Pico Blvd. in Santa Monica) I discovered that they have an exhibit there with some of the original displays from the Mathematica exhibit, which used to be at the science museum in Exposition Park in LA. I loved that as a kid. There are two replicas of the exhibit, in Boston and in Atlanta. Highly recommended!

Comment

Working...
                          X