Black Hole Sun and other Easy-Listening Classics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So there I am, driving home, flicking through the channels when I land on the anguished stylings of Chris Cornell. The song finishes, and the announcer kicks in with "Stay tuned to Mix 104.9, the Top End's feel-good station".

Now I realise that listening to Soundgarden would make Soundgarden devotees feel good, but it struck me as a bit ill-fitting.

What other "out of place" songs have OTFers(?) heard in unusual places?

(My first post, please go easy on me guys!)

Now I realise that listening to Soundgarden would make Soundgarden devotees feel good, but it struck me as a bit ill-fitting.
    I think you'll fit right in here, colliedogg. Welcome.

Comment

Welcome colliedogg.

About 12-13 years ago I found myself working night after night in different B&Q's up and down the country, typically on 12 hour shifts too.

Inbetween the usual chart/mor/aor content, they had MJ Cole's Sincere on rotation. One of the greatest UK Garage tunes imo.

I have to say it cheered me up, kept me going, the music complimented by state of mind at the time.

Comment

colliedogg wrote:
        So there I am, driving home, flicking through the channels when I land on the anguished stylings of Chris Cornell. The song finishes, and the announcer kicks in with "Stay tuned to Mix 104.9, the Top End's feel-good station".

Maybe they meant to play this?

Comment

Your link doesn't work, Harry, but I'm guessing a link to an .m4a of Paul Anka's version will make up for it.

Comment

That seems odd to me, too, but maybe it's just the way most music becomes more like easy listening as it ages and becomes familiar. I remember when Psychocandy came out it sounded like one of the noisiest things I'd ever heard. Now it sounds like a pop album. Still great, but it doesn't sound nearly as abrasive as it did when I first heard it.

And welcome, colliedogg.

Comment

I was in a grocery store in Tulsa, Oklahoma at a late hour and my ears perked up as the trebly sound of Pictured Life by the Scorpions came through the store speakers. I only had to get a couple of items, but had to wait and hear what was next. Sure enough, Catch Your Train followed. I suspect some kid turned off the muzak and put Virgin Killer in a cassette player in the back.

Comment

I assumed this was gonna be about The Moog Cookbook's cover of "Black Hole Sun". (I prefer their "Buddy Holly", though.)

Comment

Once saw the oarsome Electric Six perform 'Gay Bar' resplendent in pink one-piece lycra leotards and also donning Abraham Lincoln hats and beards, on the kids music show CD:UK, a show aimed at 7-13 year olds.
                  They rocked out as well, it was a nailed-on live performance, and I cannot find a video of it anywhere.

Cue a somewhat confused audience of kids and me laughing like a hyena at the juxtaposition of it all.

CD:UK - For the unfamiliar

Comment

And a hearty welcome, colliedogg.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the welcomes.

I wish I'd caught Electric Six on CD:UK, thanks Tactictoe.

I wonderered what Ant and Dec made of it, so I Googled CD:UK and the Wikipedia entry states that:

There was also a complete sound failure which prevented a performance by The Charlatans.

So really, not a complete failure then.

Comment

Tactictoe wrote:
                        Once saw the oarsome Electric Six perform 'Gay Bar' resplendent in pink one-piece lycra leotards and also donning Abraham Lincoln hats and beards, on the kids music show CD:UK, a show aimed at 7-13 year olds.
                        They rocked out as well, it was a nailed-on live performance, and I cannot find a video of it anywhere.

Cue a somewhat confused audience of kids and me laughing like a hyena at the juxtaposition of it all.
                        I saw a group of young girls perform a cheerleading routine on stage at Haven Holiday Park in Pwllheli, to a medley of short bursts of (mainly) very predictable hits - Hey Mickey, Reel 2 Reel's I Like To Move It, that kinda thing, although one of them was Be Aggressive by Faith No More. You can understand why they included it but it's still a song about male on male oral sex.

Comment

When I worked at the Post Office in Vancouver, Norm With The Radio used to listen to CISL650 - an oldies station (or Senile650 as it was better known) They played 'safe' music from the late 50's/early 60's with a fair amount of music from Elvis, Buddy Holly, Tommy Roe, Petula Clark etc. They would occasionally play 'Yesterday' by The Beatles but from 'Revolver' on, absolutely nothing. The Rolling Stones didn't exist in CISL land.
                          Every now and again they would push the boundaries and play something by the Poppy Family to meet their Canadian Content quota.
                          So predictable was their playlist that we all would pick a song each day and see which one would get played first. (I generally went with 'Sheila' by Tommy Roe.)

Then one morning out of the blue it happened... they played 'Run To You' by Bryan Adams. Naturally we were mortified because a) we had to endure three and a half minutes of Bryan Adams. b) if they were going to play dangerous stuff like this who knew what it could lead to - there could even be some CCR on the horizon! and c) worst of all, Bryan Adams was from the Eighties. I was a teenager when it first came out, and now it was on an oldies station...

We quickly persuaded Norm that he should listen to CKNW instead.

Comment

Funnily enough this happened to me twice yesterday during the trailers at the local Cineworld. Wouldnt usually go near the place but i'd won some free tickets from the T&A recently.
                            Anyway went to see Arthur Christmas in 3D (usual price 12 quid!), and ttrailers for a couple of kids animations used Tenpole Tudor and The Clash as the soundtrack. Wonder what 70's punks would have thought?

Comment

Working...
                            X