Artists Who Sing In Regional Accents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about someone who spent his childhood in Donegal and then had a lengthy sojourn in Bolton (poor fucker)?

Comment

Heh, I suppose that's what i'm getting at really.

I mean from my personal experience two of my grandparents were from Ireland, but I was born in England, so i'm English.

I just think the links between the two countries in terms of popular culture and what-have-you are incredibly close, to the point of being identical.

Comment

Mat wrote:
        I just think the links between the two countries in terms of popular culture and what-have-you are incredibly close
        I identify with this. Although, not the - to the point of being identical part, unless you were perhaps an outsider looking in.

We are generally the same peoples are we not?. And to be politically correct/inclusive/less exclusive - the peoples of the Atlantic Isles.

Comment

Alderman Barnes wrote:
          I'm trying to think of people singing in Scouse, but all I can come up with, apart from the Beatles when they were being silly, is Space. There must be more, surely.
          The La's and Cast.

Comment

The roots of The La's and Cast's sound isn't from Liverpool though is it, it's filtered through 60's West Coast bands like Love, The Virgin Prunes and The Strawberry Alarm Clock, and that's the accent I hear more than a regional English one.

Comment

So as Half Man Half Biscuit are:
              1. From Birkenhead
              2. Usually silly

They don't count?

Comment

"Went downtown. Saw you pastelling the precinct floor. Had no qualms, but I complained anyway".

I don't think Half Man Half Biscuit are ever silly, you know. They're always on the fucking button, and as sharp as a shot of cholic.

Comment

What Mat said. The lyrics to "A Country Practice", for instance, are just brilliant, and they'd probably sound wrong in anything other than Nigel's dulcet tones.

Comment

Oh I luv 'em too; it just seems they were being ignored as fine exponents of regional accent singing.

Comment

Oh man, I can't believe I forgot HMHB. I'd like to claim the Birkenhead defence, but it was a schoolboy error really.

I think what I had in the back of my mind was what Mat said, that a lot of Liverpool music looks to the American west coast for some reason.

A bit like a lot of Scottish bands, come to think of it. I wonder why that is?

Obviously, not all of them, before anyone starts.

Comment

I don't hear the regional thing though. Provincial England is the main source, for sure, but that's where they're from, and it's where i'm from too, and it's where I still live, which is why their malcontent is so impressive - it's so accurate.

And one of their big hatreds is the cultural destruction of provincial England, which is don't forget the source of much that was vital and important in English political debate - The Guardian, for instance, started off as a provincial newspaper.

Essentially almost every small town in England looks exactly the fucking same, they almost always have the same fucking shops, they get the same telly, the same chain probably operates their theatres, cinemas, pubs and nightclubs. Nothing's unqiue, everything's uniform, and it's uniformly fucked.

Comment

Oh man, this thread.

atlanticjaxx wrote:
                          We are generally the same peoples are we not?. And to be politically correct/inclusive/less exclusive - the peoples of the Atlantic Isles.
                          The Barbados?

Mat wrote:
                          The roots of The La's and Cast's sound isn't from Liverpool though is it, it's filtered through 60's West Coast bands like Love, The Virgin Prunes and The Strawberry Alarm Clock, and that's the accent I hear more than a regional English one.
                          Heh, that famed 60s West Coast band. I can only assume the Irish-centred discussion had you get your prunes mixed up.

If it's any help Celtic folk and English folk both just sound like a series of absolutely unlistenable dirges to me.

Comment

Fussbudget wrote:
                            atlanticjaxx wrote:
                            The Barbados?
                            I picked up the term from Diarmaid Macculloch's excellent book Reformation, and decided to roll with it.

I think its a fine name, neutral in way which Celtic isn't, British isn't, despite how accurate both those terms may have been over the centuries.

Comment

[To Fussbudget]

Heh, bugger. I didn't spot that.

Comment

'She Moved Through The Fair' sung by someone from Donegal, sounds exactly the same as 'She Moved Through The Fair' sung by someone from Bolton.

apart from the huge difference in accent, that might have something to do with she moved through the fair being an archetypal Irish song, based on a much older Irish melody. It's written in the mixolydian mode, which gives it that minor, wistful sad effect. You see the same thing in the wexford carol

There's loads of great english folk music, and the folk revival in ireland drew heavily on english folk music. This is one of my favourite luke kelly songs, taken from his last performance

But the songs sound different if you listen closely and as mentioned above have different subject matter. A lot of them appear to be about not shagging soldiers, coz they'll fuck off leaving you up the spout and facing a life of ruin. (there are plenty of irish ones on a similar vein)

Also the english folk scene isn't as well developed as in ireland, because there were so many competing types of music in england in the nineteenth and twentieth century. A lot of its cultural space would have been crowded out by first music hall, and then commercial popular music. So it's there. It's good, but it's not anywhere near as strong or as vibrant as it could be.

The relative strength of Irish folk and traditional music is almost entirely down to isolation and lack of upward mobility for musicians. If Michael Coleman was english he would have been playing in an orchestra, rather than being in america and making the most important Recordings in the development of Irish traditional music.

Comment

Cracking stuff that, TAB. Cheers.

Comment

That's alright then, fair enough.

heh, I reckoned that we weren't actually really disagreeing about anything much.

What about someone who spent his childhood in Donegal and then had a lengthy sojourn in Bolton (poor fucker)?

He'd sound like peter kay. Half of his act currently seems to be dressing up as a woman, and putting on his mam's northern Irish accent.

If you aren't born within the sound of a priest touching an altar boy or a pair of buckle shoes kicking a pig, you're not Irish.

hey, father brendan smyth molested children in ballymurphy. he also molested them in italy, england, canada, new york, rhode island, and north dakota, along with countless other places i'm sure.

My definition of irish would have to extend to the entirety of the united states, australia, new zealand, much of west africa, all of england and a large part of scotland. Even conferring nationality on people who had drunk a pint of guinness would be more exclusive.

And anyway, Amn't I the one banging on about how the british immigration debate is completely skewed by not counting irish people the same way as non-white people?

I'd love to arrange him a tour of Ballymurphy where he can tell them all to their faces that they are in fact just a bunch of Brits.

nah, they're nordies. a different thing entirely.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned The Unthanks?

Comment

All rappers

Comment

For anyone interested in that sort of ting, there's a new book out called "Rake at the Gates of Hell: Shane MacGowan in Context" which has a lot about IRISH history and culture.

As for the title, people have been expecting him to die for ages now, with Sinead O'C declaring him "near the end" back in 2002 or so.

And nice to see Tesco's have picked up Fairytale for their Xmas ads, ahem.

Comment

MsD wrote:
                                            As for the title, people have been expecting him to die for ages now, with Sinead O'C declaring him "near the end" back in 2002 or so.
                                            See also Is Shane MacGowan Still Alive?, by WSC's Tim Bradford, which came out in 2000 or thereabouts.

Comment

I'd not heard of that, but that's the general reaction, yeh.

Comment

Working...
                                              X