Clear All

Artists Who Sing In Regional Accents

Er, that's the joke.

Comment

Dear oh dear.

Comment

Ah, not at my sharpest today after first of the pre-christmas booze-ups last night.

Moving swiftly and seasonally on, this thread is well overdue a nomination for Noddy Holder.

Comment

Fussbudget wrote:
          Róisín Murphy sounds distinctly Irish but I'm fucked if I know which bit of Ireland. I always just assume that all Irish musicians are from Cork for some reason.
          She's from Arklow. Can't recall what her accent is like though.

Comment

How about the lead singer of Glasvegas who sings in a Glaswegian accent. Interesting that the song titles are in proper English but he sings the words in Glaswegian. For example the song is called Flowers and Football Tops but he sings "flowers and fitbaw taps."

Comment

Roisin Murphy's got a bizarre (and quite alluring IMO) hybrid Sheffield-meets-rural-Oireland accent that I've never heard from anyone else.

Shane's is a similarly weird hybrid of London and Ireland, and though the debate about his Irishness or otherwise is one of the single most pointless and tedious discussions anyone can ever have, The Pogues should be claimed for London and the London Irish really - that's what they're about.

Other regional accented artists - Dubstar/West Yorkshire

Comment

A lot of Home-Counties local-vocalising in the Canterbury scene - Richard Sinclair, Kevin Ayers and Robert Wyatt, for example.

Comment

Feargal Sharkey, obviously.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote:
                    Roisin Murphy's got a bizarre (and quite alluring IMO) hybrid Sheffield-meets-rural-Oireland accent that I've never heard from anyone else.

Shane's is a similarly weird hybrid of London and Ireland, and though the debate about his Irishness or otherwise is one of the single most pointless and tedious discussions anyone can ever have, The Pogues should be claimed for London and the London Irish really - that's what they're about.

Other regional accented artists - Dubstar/West Yorkshire
                    My point re Shane wss that He isn't faking it, any nore than any of us when we slightly modify our accents (I'm slightly posher in academic or work circles, for example), that hybrid is natural to him.

I just had a chinkin and reasonin session with my Dublin-born actress friend (the definitive Molly Bloom) who told me something about the age of nine being crucial to linguistic identity, which would make him English, but "hybrid" is exactly how she described it.

Intrusive "r"s are apparently a major giveaway, I don't know if he does that. I know it's tedious but I felt AB was accusing yer man of faking it entoirely. London Irish is right, and we rabge in accent, as do London Pakistanis.

Comment

I'm with E10 R and MsD on Shane McGowan. London Irish, with equal stress on each.

But do you mean intrusive 'r'? As in "I saw [r] a man?" Rhotic speakers, like most Irish people, don't tend to use intrusive 'r', whereas non-rhotic speakers, like Londoners, sometimes fo and sometimes don't.

Comment

Roisin Murphy does seem to have a weird Irish/South Yorkshire accent but I wouldn't say it's the accent she sings in.

Dave Gilmour is someone who sings in his native accent most of the time. It's unusal as British rock stars who are that posh tend to try and hide their poshness.

Comment

All right, so we've had Shane McGowan and the Canterbury lot, but this is what a proper Kent accent sounds like.

Comment

WaL, yes on the "r"s, I'm a bit too pissed to explain via text and phone.

I only had half a bottle of wine.

Comment

Alderman Barnes wrote:
                              All right, so we've had Shane McGowan and the Canterbury lot, but this is what a proper Kent accent sounds like.
                              That's brilliant, that is.

Comment

That sounds just like Paul Weller to me. But he wasn't Kent, was he?

Disco Sea Shanties wrote:
                                Dave Gilmour is someone who sings in his native accent most of the time. It's unusal as British rock stars who are that posh tend to try and hide their poshness.
                                Gilmour doesn't sound posh to me. In fact, it sounds neutral to my ear, probably because I grew up around Cambridge.
                                I think it's a stretch to say the local Cambridge accent is automatically a posh one. Yes, it's a fairly wealthy area of the country, but not uniformally so, and that accent transcends wealth/class bariers in the local towns. Obviously the accent in the fen countryside is a bit different, but that doesn't make the rural accent any more 'real' to the area than the urban one.

Comment

The Pogues should be claimed for London and the London Irish really - that's what they're about.

that's it exactly. The pogues aren't an irish band at all. they're primarily english punks singing their version of their parent's music. it's probably better to think of him as an english punk doing an impression of luke kelly. which is perfectly fine. (ultimately he has real problems with the vowels, such as the word stay)

for instance, this is what the broad majestic shannon was supposed to sound like. The clancy brothers were from carrick on suir in south tipp, whereas mcGowan's family are from the north tipp/offaly border, but the overlap should be much stronger, but the only perfect overlap in accent between the two is for the word "Shinrone" which is where mcGowan's family are from.

The other problem he has is the rhythm and phrasing. it's generally speaking too rigid and forced. Compared to how it would be sung in the irish folk tradition though as far as I know this is a scottish song.

it's just a different kind of thing, and should be considered on its own merits. he doesn't sound irish. he sounds like shane mcGowan, and no-one else.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
                                    The Pogues should be claimed for London and the London Irish really - that's what they're about.

that's it exactly. The pogues aren't an irish band at all. they're primarily english punks singing their version of their parent's music. it's just a different kind of thing, and should be considered on its own merits. he doesn't sound irish. he sounds like shane mcGowan, and no-one else.
                                    Didn't realise that before. So is there such a thing as a 'London Irish patois' in the same way that the Pakastani community has?

Comment

Weller is from Woking.

Comment

Which is not in Kent.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                                          Gruff Rhys in place of Catatonia?

Cerys forced it so much it was beyond painful.
                                          I'm not sure I ever thought that about Cerys, her singing voice certainly matches her speaking voice.

I would speculate that it's the difference between a middle-class South Walian who has been brought up with English as her first language but is fluent in Welsh and Gruff's North Walian whose first language is Welsh.

Comment

Snoop Doggy Dogg always sounds like he's rapping in a strong regional accent, but I don't know which one.

Comment

Goldie Lookin Chain

Comment

steveeeeeeeee wrote:
                                                Snoop Doggy Dogg always sounds like he's rapping in a strong regional accent, but I don't know which one.
                                                Snoop's from L.A., but his accent has a distinct southern flavour to it. His parents were both from the south, so I'm guessing that's where it comes from.

Slick Rick always used to rap with a strange London/English accent, I used to think it sounded rather affected, odd, but I'm guessing that's just the way someone could sound if they moved to america in their adolescence.

Comment

A lot of carribbean rap and singing is filled with sounds and pronounciation straight from irish english. Shaggy sounds like he spent his summers in west cork. (it's the long rolled r) Which shouldn't be surprising given the role of Irish slave overseers in teaching english to the people of the carribbean. Check out these lads. The priest has a bit of a panglossian view of the relationship between the irish and the slaves. The slaves on montserrat rebelled on a st patricks day 1768 because the irish overseers had drunk themselves into a coma.

Comment

Chris Rea.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X