Artists Who Sing In Regional Accents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You would expect country and folk artists to sing in their native accents, but it can be surprising when rock/pop stars do it.

Of course sometimes the accent could be spurious or even downright fake, but off the top of my head I can think of a few:

The Proclaimers - Edinburgh

Blur/Madness/Chas and Dave - Cockernee

Duke Special - Ulster

The Whisky Priests - Geordie

Midnight Oil - Australian

Catatonia - Welsh

REM - Georgia

The Pogues - Oirish

I don't like saying simply 'Australian' for Midnight Oil, simply because the differences in regional accents in such a vast country must be huge. But I don't know enough about Australian dialects to know if Peter Garrett's singing voice is genuine.

There must be loads of other examples out there- whether genuine or hammed up. Can you suggest any?

Ian Dury and Billy Bragg can be added to the Cockney artists.

Comment

Can I have Bob Marley as Jamaican?

Comment

Along with pretty much every reggae artist.

Comment

Except UB40.

Comment

Actually you could include UB40 if you can forgive the Brummie twang.

Comment

Can I have UB40 as Brummie?

Comment

Maximo Park - Boro (or more accurately Teesside as Paul Smith is from north of the river)

The Futureheads - Mackem

Comment

The Pogues - Oirish

Shane mcGowan is from pembury in kent.

Dolores o'riordan is from about 40 miles down the road from me, and I don't really understand the half of the things she sings.

Comment

Add The Small Faces to the Cockernee list, and John Cale's voice has a detectably Welsh lilt to my ears

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
                      The Pogues - Oirish

Shane mcGowan is from pembury in kent.
                      Yes but he sings in an Irish accent.

Comment

No, it is an Oirish accent, how second-generation Irish imagine an authentic accent sounds like.

Comment

Róisín Murphy sounds distinctly Irish but I'm fucked if I know which bit of Ireland. I always just assume that all Irish musicians are from Cork for some reason.

Robbie Williams's singing accent might be a weird transatlantic mixture but he raps in a proper Stoke accent.

Comment

Shane was born when his parents were on holiday from Ireland, he's basically Irish although his accent has varied back and forth, as has his place of domicile (he's based in Dublin now).

Comment

Tricky - Bristol/Westcountry

And maybe a bit parochial, but

Adge Cutler - Somerset/Westcountry

Comment

There's a bit of Swindon in some of Andy's Partidge's singing for XTC, e.g:

High climbs the summer sun
                                High stands the coRn

Comment

Probably too obvious but The Beatles' scouse is pretty evident on many of their songs, especially the ballads. Also true of other merseybeat groups of the era. Peter Noone's Mancunian accent is also well to the fore with Herman's Hermits.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:

Probably too obvious but The Beatles' scouse is pretty evident on many of their songs, especially the ballads. Also true of other merseybeat groups of the era.
                                    The scouse lilt is an interesting one in the context of the late '50s/early '60s.

I recall reading somewhere that Billy Fury was advised by his manager not to speak too much in public for fear that his thick Liverpudlian brogue would put teenagers (or their parents) off buying his singles.

I only know one or two of his songs but his accent seems pretty well disguised.

Times have changed thankfully.

Comment

Gruff Rhys in place of Catatonia?

Cerys forced it so much it was beyond painful.

Comment

Still though, mcGowan barely set foot in an irish school, and whatever he sings in isn't any kind of irish accent that an irish person would recognize. he was living in Blooms hotel in temple bar, for a very long time until they managed to get him out.

Comment

Maybe so, but as he spent much of his childhood living in Ireland, so much of his life amongst the London Irish, playing Irish music, and has been in Dublin for a while, you can't say he "comes from Surrey". He was born there on holiday. As my (Irish) mother used to say, if you're born in a stable, it doesn't make you a horse.

It would be odd if he had a Surrey accent and it's not surprising he's got the one he has.

Oops, not Surrey, Kent.

Comment

MsD wrote:

As my (Irish) mother used to say, if you're born in a stable, it doesn't make you a horse.
                                            Which is quite relevant to this thread because IIRC that line is attributed to the Dublin born Duke of Wellington when his critics accused him of being Irish and not British.

A sort of inverse Shane MacGowan, if you like.

Comment

Andy Stewart

Comment

Sometimes I wonder if I'm affecting a slight Irish accent, but it's hard to be sure.

Comment

MsD wrote:
                                                  Sometimes I wonder if I'm affecting a slight Irish accent, but it's hard to be sure.
                                                  Is there a missing comma after 'hard', there?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X