No announcement yet.

Gary Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The implications from the witness saying why he wanted to get in touch with Speed's family are tragic.
    Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 17-01-2018, 19:47.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
      To echo Ray, and for the benefit of those not reading the article, the unnamed witness said that Speed was one of four he knew who were coached by Bennell and later committed suicide. He was careful to say that he didn’t know if abuse by Bennell was the direct cause.

That said, it is of course highly suggestive and I’m really upset at the possibility. It’s sickening to think that players that I’ve admired and been entertained by were only in a position to do so having first been through that, to the point that some might have been driven to suicide.

And the idea that these evil arseholes were enabled by a conspiracy of silence within football...I mean, shit, my enjoyment of a silly and futile game should not have come at this fucking price.
      Yep, all this. While the implication isn't direct, the inference is there - as it should be: four former charges having taken their own lives in the intervening period has to be regarded as more than just coincidence - and therefore also has to be drawn to the public's attention.

As YewTree and similar have continued to expose, 'silence' was, of course, the default position: viz, you were nothing and if you knew what was good for you, you'd shut the f*ck up.

Comment

It's also an extremely, though unintentionally, cruel way for Speed's family to find out this information. I'm not sure if that could have been avoided (by some prior briefing before this particular session) but it's heart-breaking in itself.

Can/will the suicides be factored into Bennell's sentence?

Comment

I did hope that someone would have made contact with Speed’s family to ensure they heard about the claims prior to them being made in court. Do we know if that isn’t the case.

Comment

Bennell found guilty.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post

And sentenced to 31 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43118069

Comment

Minimum of 15 years before he's released.

Comment

i really think for a number of reasons this should have its own thread.

anyone else troubled by the judge calling Bennell "the devil incarnate"

Comment

*raises paw*

on both accounts

Comment

There was a thread. Sorry, I posted on this one when the story crossed over and Gary was mentioned by one of the victims talking about players who killed themselves and had been in contact with Bennell.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                        anyone else troubled by the judge calling Bennell "the devil incarnate"
                        Absolutely.

Comment

Can we please remove the Bennell comments from this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                            Done.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                              Snake can do this and transfer them to the appropriate thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                There was a thread. Sorry, I posted on this one when the story crossed over and Gary was mentioned by one of the victims talking about players who killed themselves and had been in contact with Bennell.
                                Sorry.

Clearly my fault.

I did a "search" to see if there was a thread, and replied to a comment made about Bennell

Comment

Working...
                                X