Gary Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary Speed

...has died apparently. No further details yet. Fucking hell.

Gary Speed

Fucking hell, indeed. Only forty-two years old. Absolutely numbing news.

Comment

Gary Speed

Always renowned for his high levels of physical fitness, wasn't he? Awful news.

Comment

Gary Speed

It's being reported that he took his own life.

Comment

Gary Speed

Jesus. Confirmed by FAW.

What a great, solid player he was for Bolton. Belied his age as a player.

RIP

Comment

Gary Speed

Awful, awful news. His poor family.

Comment

Gary Speed

It's being reported that he hanged himself. Genuinely numbing news.

Comment

Gary Speed

Blimey. Terrible news.

Comment

Gary Speed

Poor bloke. He seemed like one of the good guys.

Did any one read Saturday's (I thought very good) Guardian Secret Footballer article about the need to change attitudes to depression and mental illness in the game .

Comment

Gary Speed

On a weekend that a poor penalty decision was hogging every headline writer this really puts life into a true perspective. Poor lad.

Comment

Gary Speed

Fucking hell, What the fuck has happened? Absolutely gutted. As Michael Owen says, numb.

Comment

Gary Speed

Horrible, horrible news.

Strangely enough, I listened to an episode of Thinking Allowed yesterday that highlighted the fact that the susceptibility of men in midlife to suicide is significantly under-appreciated.

RIP

Comment

Gary Speed

terrible news. That he was fast on his way to becoming the most popular person in wales only makes it seem all the more bizarre.

Comment

Gary Speed

Tragic, all the more so as he was boss of a young Wales side that seemed to have such a bright future ahead. Numbing news.
                            A reminder, if it were needed, that losing 6-1 at home to your nearest rivals is NOT a tragedy, it's just a game of football.

Comment

Gary Speed

Stunned. Horrible news.

Comment

Gary Speed

Stan Collymore on his depression this weekend.

Comment

Gary Speed

Madness. Seriously underrated player with a real knowledge of the game and humble bloke to boot. R.I.P.

Comment

Gary Speed

Fuck, yeah, that Secret Footaller piece seems hugely relevant all of a sudden, and spookily timed.

Comment

Gary Speed

I'm absolutely stunned by the news. Just heard it on the radio whilst driving home and can't believe what's happened.

Sad, sad day.

Comment

Gary Speed

He seemed such a grounded and stable bloke. Not phased by anything. Really consistent. I can't quite believe this. Terrible for his family.

Comment

Gary Speed

The last thing I want to do is speculate on anything until the full details come out and depression, of course, is often never directly linked to current events in one life but, if there was a less stressful manager's position in football presently, it would be hard to find it over Speed's position as Wales manager.

As mentioned, the team and him have the brightest prospects of recent times, he had won over any doubters and, as I am sure will be proven now, he has always been very well thought of in football in general and in Wales in particular.

As I say, depression is illogical and, of course, it could be something to do with his job presently but, on the face of it, it looks like the least stressful time of his career.

I mean, goodness knows what drove him or anyone to this especially with two sons etc but I think it unlikely if not impossible that it was to do with his job currently

Comment

Gary Speed

Let me add my condolences for his family and friends to this thread.

This feels more personal and strange for seeing him on Football Focus yesterday looking and talking like the Gary Speed most of us know.

Jaw dropping, sad.

Comment

Gary Speed

Stunned. Just stunned.

The minute's silence at Swansea lasted about five seconds before it turned into spontaneous applause and singing of his name.

Comment

Gary Speed

Absolutely appalling. Even though he is associated with the two clubs that might be regarded as my team's rivals, this has really upset me.

Hope the Mail doesn't write some horrific "how can footballers be depressed on all that money" article this week.

Comment

Gary Speed

Argh why Speed!!!! I loved the Welsh players of last generation, it was when I could starting understand football. Speed was also a nice bloke from what I've seen.

Hopefully his family carry on well.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X