Music From The Lost Worlds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a relatively rare bit of self-promotion, but I feel some of you would find this really compelling. I did a show called Music From The Lost Worlds on Resonance FM with writer and musician David Toop. Andy C particularly, you might find this worth your time.

This two and a half hour tour of super-rare ethnographic vinyl contains some of the most extraordinary sounds you'll ever hear - 1950s-70s recordings which capture sound worlds and practices which are now gone. Field recordings these days are rarely this breathtaking.

You won't hear this music elsewhere. There is no archive just a mouseclick away on the web. It's largely an untold story with, honestly, some of the most extraordinary musical practices you'll ever hear.

Here's the info we put together for the show:

This special edition of Adventures In Modern Music presents rare and unheard ethnographic recordings from the collection of writer, musician and Wire contributor David Toop, from South East Asia and Africa to Hokkaido and the islands of the west coast of Scotland. We'll be exploring the work of field recordists such as John Levy and Jacques Brunet, who pioneered location recording from the 1950s onwards, travelling with Nagra tape decks the world over to capture healing music, death rituals, bear chants, animal dances, clapping songs, etc. Other selections will include rare excerpts from the Radio 3 sound archive, many of which were thought lost, wiped or forgotten since first broadcast in the 1970s, and the sounds of the Philips Unesco Collection, Ocora and Ethnic Folkways. David Toop will be joining Derek Walmsley in the studio to talk about these lost sounds and their place in the modern world.
    You can listen again here:

http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/7821/
    http://soundcloud.com/thewiremagazine/adventures-in-modern-music-20

I'll certainly give this a listen, DD. Sounds fascinating.

Comment

Wow. I'll certainly immerse myself in that as soon as I have the chance.

Comment

I hope to get the chance to listen to this over the weekend.

I once visited a site about Gamelan and that referred to a couple of musicologist/ethnographer types dragging massive recording equipment around the world in the mid 20th century in order to capture the music of obscure and/or disappearing tribes. I wonder if that would have been the people mentioned in that summary, DD?

When I get home, I'll see if I kept a link to that page.

Trivia: Did you know it's considered an insult in Balinese Gamelan circles to have your Gamelan tuned to exactly the same 'setting' as someone else's? Everyone is supposed to come up with their own unique tunings, apparently.

Comment

Only just seen this, and only just started listening, but it looks like it's going to be bloody amazing. Cheers very much for this.

Comment

Only two years and nine months late to the party (I was searching in vain for a general self-promotion thread in Music..), but am full of excitement to get home and have a listen to this.

Any more since?

Comment

Working...
            X