(Sweet) TVs (in Transylvania)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I am about to buy a TV. I was about to say that I haven't bought a TV for at least ten years, but thinking about it I'm not sure if I've ever bought a TV. And looking at TVs now I am confronted with a bewildering array of options that I have no idea what they are. So could someone let me know some things about what I want. I have worked out that I am looking for an 81cm model for our room size, and it'll be HD, because apart from anything else I don't think there are non-HD Tvs (and similarly I presume you can no longer buy massive heavy boxes that have a tube in), but then I hit some of these options.

LCD or LED? (I think LCD, but not really sure)
    USB connector?
    WiFi ready?
    (the above are at last things which I have some idea what they are, whereas below I don't even know what the letters stand for or what each is supposed to do)
    DLNA?
    HDMi (3x 4x)?
    DVB Digital tuner?
    "Smart TV"?

And then there's 3d, which seems like a bunch of shit to me, s I'll skip that.

Can anyone give me a few tips?

I agree with your assessment of 3d tv.

On the HD thing, better to get 1080 (full hd) than 720. The hdmi thing refers to the number of hdmi sockets it'll have, so unless you have a cable box, blu ray and a recent games consoles you're not going to need that many. I don't know what you have in terms of inputs, but if you have a standard dvd with scart then you might want to check the tv has a scart socket as quite a few new ones don't have them.

The dvb thing is whether it can accept digital tv/freeview without a separate tuner box. I'd think nearly all new tvs have this now.

Comment

Working...
    X