No announcement yet.

The Madness of Van Halen 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Klosterman's piece made me dive into the Van Halen* catalog more and really it's all down to that guitar. Nothing sounds like it before or since. The other bits of the band are good, especially Diamond Dave who is the Platonic ideal of a rock frontman, and Alex Van Halen is a great drummer and Michael Anthony is a far better bassist than I knew, but it's really that guitar.

*as a Dutch learner I knew the Van Halen brothers were born in NL, but I'd never heard them speak Dutch (which they do, and pretty well considering they emigrated as kids). I'm struggling not to call the band Vunhalé, which is actually how you say their surname in Dutch. They seem to make jokes about this a lot when they're interviewed in Dutch.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
      Klosterman's piece made me dive into the Van Halen* catalog .

Comment

I was most pleased when I took my diving course to learn that that flag meant "Diver Down". Goodness knows what I thought the reference was before.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
          "Quiet Riot is an American heavy metal band. The band's name was inspired by a conversation with Rick Parfitt of the British band Status Quo, who expressed desire to name a band "Quite Right", and his thick English accent made it sound like he was saying "Quiet Riot"
          This made me curious enough about what Rick Parfitt's voice sounds like that I went to YouTube and looked up an interview with him. God forbid whoever wrote that sentence ever travel to England and experience some actually 'thick' accents.

Comment

Also that flag makes me think of Argentinos Juniors.

Comment

Working...
            X