Bauhaus!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bauhaus!

Been reminded of this lot twice in 12 hours, on TOTP2 and Radio6. Weren't they just the worst example of over indulgent arty-farty arse wipes to come out of the whole punk/new wave movement, hated them back in the day, and hope anyone who was into them hangs their heads in shame!

Bauhaus!

I thought Love and Rockets were better.

Comment

Bauhaus!

Bela Lugosi's Dead still sounds very good to me. Wasn't that keen on anything else (Kick in the Eye is good).

I thought Pete Murphy's high-kicking in see-through tights rather unseemly but I don't see anything to hate in them (Bauhaus that is, not the tights, I was too far back).

Comment

Bauhaus!

I can't say I was particularly into them, but I had an album and a couple of singles of theirs and I thought they were quite fun, actually.

As was the early British goth scene in general. I wasn't a goth myself, but a few people I knew were, and it seemed a very un-up-your-own arse scene.

If Bauhaus were misunderstood, it can only be put down to Pete Murphy's pretentious cheekbones.

Comment

Bauhaus!

hated them back in the day, and hope anyone who was into them hangs their heads in shame!
          With all due respect, get fucked.

Comment

Bauhaus!

Quit shilly-shallying, man. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Comment

Bauhaus!

I like a couple of their singles, but they were a bit too inconsistent for me.

'Bela Lugosi' has such a wonderfully dark atmosphere but goes on a bit too long.

She's In Parties would be my favourite. I think a confused 16 year old called Brett Anderson was listening to this song in his bedroom and going hmmm...

Comment

Bauhaus!

Sorry WOM, it's my typically British reserve.

Comment

Bauhaus!

I remember seeing them support Magazine at the London Lyceum when they 1st hit the scene.

Their glam-goth sound wasn't for me, but I was struck by the unusually large number of art-school type girls following them that night: black Docs, black leggings, black donkey jackets, stylishly unkempt dyed black hair and vampyric make up. I found that look rather attractive - so pretended to like them a lot more than I did in order to chat up the women.

The results were predictable: I fruitlessly shelled out for a few drinks while, presumably, they went off home for an undisturbed kip in their coffins.

Comment

Bauhaus!

They were great. For fuck's sake.

Comment

Bauhaus!

My only knowledge of them is of yer man sitting in a chair and being blasted by sound in a TV ad for some blank cassette (BASF?).

I should try and grab a listen on youtube or something.

Comment

Bauhaus!

Their lyrics could be a bit dopey sometimes ("Get up / Eat jelly / Sandwich bars and barbed wire"), but Why at Last! is right.

Terror Couple Kill Colonel was particularly good, I thought.

Comment

Bauhaus!

I love them, but I would recommend steering clear of any youtube interviews from the time with Pete Murphy or David J. They were unbelievably pompous bastards. Shockingly so. jaw-droppingly so. In fact in the being pompous as fuck stakes I would go so far as to say that they make Jim Morrison look like Shane Ritchie.

What's especially shocking about that is that I always thought their music had a kind of deliberatly deflating humour, so 'Spy In The Cab', is on first listening a really haunting and intense song about 'god knows what, something or other', is actually about cars with an inbuilt cruise control function. And 'Of Lillies and Remains' is great because it takes 'bad poetry inspired by Edgar Allen Poe' to an inspired new level. Only Roger Corman highlighted how funny Edgar Allen Poe could be with the same degree of flash and precision.

All their albums are patchy but great. 'The Sky's Gone Out' is probably my favourite though.

But seriously stay clear of any interviews with the clowns. They aren't really over-endowed with self-awareness, wit or um, even charm.

Comment

Bauhaus!

I remember them vividly at the time as a pop group of whom it didn't seem worth the effort of engaging with. And nothing that I've heard of their music has ever made me think otherwise.

Comment

Bauhaus!

Bauhaus are absolutely fucking amazing.

Comment

Bauhaus!

I was in a record store last year and an employee asked if I needed some help. When I said I was looking for CDs by Bauhaus, he asked, "As in the school of architecture?" It was a weird feeling of being old but still cooler than a young sprout.

Comment

Bauhaus!

Heliotrope wrote:
                                  I was in a record store last year and an employee asked if I needed some help. When I said I was looking for CDs by Bauhaus, he asked, "As in the school of architecture?" It was a weird feeling of being old but still cooler than a young sprout.
                                  Sadly, he's cooler than you by default!

Comment

Bauhaus!

Like the Rhino, I, too, was amazed by Bauhaus.

Comment

Bauhaus!

I'm surprised by your mockery, Wingco.

I've got a pretty good idea of your taste in post-punk, and anyone who's into PiL, Joy Division and the Banshees ought to find plenty to love in the scratchy, angular, abrasive and doom-laden sounds on the Bauhaus albums. They could do the punk-funk thing really well ("Kick In The Eye"), dub-rock ("She's In Parties" 12 inch), and made daring use of space and silence (the aforementioned "Spy In The Cab" among others).

Would I be wrong in suspecting that you've never got past the make-up and the Maxell adverts?

Comment

Bauhaus!

I don't think I even made it to the Maxell adverts.

Actually, I think I developed a bit of a grudge against Bauhaus 'cos when I DJed and was trying to encourage a bit of adventurism on the dancefloor, I'd just be inundated with perpetual Bauhaus requests. Really, there were people back then who would simply rather I'd played "Kick In The Eye" on a constant loop.

Comment

Bauhaus!

Here, have a listen to this. "Double Dare". I would have thought this would have 'Wingco-Approved Post Punk' written all over it. They were first-wavers, as well. 1979-83 were their years of activity. Their first single came out only two months after Unknown Pleasures. They were contemporaries of all the bands you do like, forging the same new noises.

Comment

Bauhaus!

I should have liked them, but didn't. Can't remember why. Probably something trivial; it usually was in those days. Either that or I thought they were self consciously arty types playing middle of the road music. I saw them once and they were completely overshadowed by their support act, Southern Death Cult, and you have to be fairly mediocre for that to happen.

Bela Lugosi was a great single though and Pete Murphy did have amazing cheekbones. Any truth in the story that he had his wisdom teeth removed to accentuate them?

Comment

Bauhaus!

I certainly think if you're naturally phobic of the "arty", and you have a hyper-sensitive Pretentiousness Meter, then Bauhaus are always going to alienate you. Personally, I don't have a problem with that stuff. I welcome it, in fact.

Comment

Bauhaus!

What does "She's in parties" mean? is that idiomatic?

Comment

Bauhaus!

In context, it would appear that Parties is the name of a film, and she's in it.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X