That's about that then...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carniveraux Vulgarry wrote: I don't want to appear distasteful or want to trivialise any of this but what do we reckon the BBC have done with the footage of that tribute to Savile that they aired after his death but before the evidence of his crimes had come to light? Has that been wiped out of shame or are they legally obliged to maintain recordings of their programmes? Continuity tends (or tended) to be wiped quite regularly in the old days but with storage now easier and cheaper than before I'd imagine it's still in their vaults somewhere.
    And how many episodes of JaM are going to be consigned to the the skip?

Comment

I never liked him on Just A Minute anyway. His whole strategy was predicated on speaking as slowly as possible.

The Saville tributes are up on YouTube BTW.

Comment

Freud was probably the first famous person I ever met, albeit just for a few seconds. In the mid-70s, with my big brother, setting off from Ilkley on a walk over the Moor, when he pulled up next to us in his car and asked for directions to the Box Tree Cottage (a local gourmet restaurant of great renown at the time).

Comment

Jim'll Fix It annuals and other books from the 70s and 80s featuring Savile used to be a staple of charity shops. When it all came out I imagined volunteers hurriedly scanning the shelves to weed out any possible offending books.

There is probably some sicko collecting Savile memorabilia as a 'laugh'.

After the revelations there was the guy in the papers who had bought Savile's Rolls Royce and was now bemoaning the fact it was worthless.

Comment

Freud is on the cover of "Band On The Run". He also did Countdown (dictionary corner) in my student days (c.1989), Celebrity Squares, Blankety Blank. But probably he's most famous for the Pedigree Chum adverts (which I'm sure are what led to the panel game appearances).

First person to book Rolf Harris; shared office with Cyril Smith. His funeral was high profile:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2009/apr/24/sir-clement-freud-funeral

Father of Emma Freud, who must feel that her entire life has just been cruelly shattered.

Comment

Part of me wondered if the name got Emma Freud some gigs / opened some doors.

Maybe she will ditch it now.

Comment

The Freuds are a clan. There was Lucien, and Matthew and Bella, all successful in their own right so not that closely associated with Clement Freud, depending on what field you work in or are associated with. Then there's the Hideous Kinky one, is it Esther?

Comment

Patrick Thistle wrote: Part of me wondered if the name got Emma Freud some gigs / opened some doors.

Maybe she will ditch it now.
                  This must be an impossible situation, but can you imagine the vulture tabloids if she became Emma (insert married or neutral name)? Can't think she's that high profile these days before this (obviously now she is, for awful reasons).

She was one of the first posh ladies I had a crush on, see also Selina Scott. This year has done its best to be as sickly rotten and fetid as possible. The past corrupted by (probably widely known at the fucking time) revelation, the future a piece of shit, stuck on a stick, forever.

Comment

Clement isn't the best know Freud. Changing her name would mean abjuring her connection with great-grandfather as well.

Comment

Globally he's probably not even in the top 3 Freuds (Sigmund, Anna, Lucian)

Comment

Matthew has a far bigger profile and reputation to protect than Emma, being a friend of Cameron and a Murdoch-in-law.

Comment

Chris Denning pleads guilty to 21 historical charges:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37154763

Comment

This is an excellent book on the Savile investigation, albeit too long

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...phy-david-hare

It is still shocking, even five years on from the when the facts came out, to list the number of people in positions of authority who had suspicions about Savile but chose to wave them away. Equally amazing is that Savile wrote about many of his exploits in his 1974 autobiography, serialized in the tabloids. Hence the title "In Plain Sight."

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

After the revelations there was the guy in the papers who had bought Savile's Rolls Royce and was now bemoaning the fact it was worthless.
                              Just months before the truth about Rolf Harris came to light, one of my nephews was persuaded by a financial adviser to purchase some of his paintings as an investment. Ahem.

Comment

So, Max Clifford ended up dying in prison. He was caught up in the whole historical offences thing sparked off by the Savile revelations.

I doubt anyone thought back in the 90s when he was in his heyday and as famous as, or more famous than, many of his clients that he'd end up dying in jail.

Comment

Steve Coogan is going to portray Savile in a new BBC drama. Not sure however sensitively it's done that there's a right or appropriate time to create something like this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58699058

Comment

Working...
                                  X