That's about that then...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There have been roughly similar accusations about another of Saville's contemporary Radio 1 D.J.'s. going around for years.

According to one of my ex's, this other character asked for, and received, a blow-job from a 14 year old classmate of hers at a Radio 1 road show near Birmingham in the '70's, and of course he had to leave the USA in a hurry after Californian police started asking awkward questions..

Comment

The Fox in the Snow wrote: This is all very sad. The reaction to the alleged victims coming forward has been a bit disturbing, with rather too much focus on why they didn't come out sooner and too little on why it must have been difficult for them to do so.
      Yes, this is a constant problem with allegations of sexual abuse- see also the Assange case. It's horrible.

Comment

http://soundcloud.com/musiclibraryfinland/savilles-travels-get-off-my

Comment

The Purple Cow wrote: There have been roughly similar accusations about another of Saville's contemporary Radio 1 D.J.'s. going around for years.

According to one of my ex's, this other character asked for, and received, a blow-job from a 14 year old classmate of hers at a Radio 1 road show near Birmingham in the '70's, and of course he had to leave the USA in a hurry after Californian police started asking awkward questions..
          John Peel is named next to almost these exact allegations today in a 1999 article by Julie Birchill, republished on the Guardian site today. I am unable to link to it at the moment.

If this is true it raises the possibility that there perhaps was no BBC cover up as such, but that there was institutionally accepted child abuse going on. Make your own minds up as to which is worse.

Being a bit too young to have lived through the era in question I am surprised by all this. Not the allegations of questionable behaviour; I was aware of rumour about certain individuals, like most. But that lots of people appear to have known what what was going on and either decided that it was okay, or that reporting it wasn't worth the risk, has shocked me.

Comment

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/1999/jan/23/weekend.julieburchill

Comment

If this is true it raises the possibility that there perhaps was no BBC cover up as such, but that there was institutionally accepted child abuse going on. Make your own minds up as to which is worse.

Being a bit too young to have lived through the era in question I am surprised by all this. Not the allegations of questionable behaviour; I was aware of rumour about certain individuals, like most. But that lots of people appear to have known what what was going on and either decided that it was okay, or that reporting it wasn't worth the risk, has shocked me.

Child abusers flocking to institutions where they had access and control over children, with those Institutions covering up, and even facilitating child abuse in order to preserve the good name of the institution.... whatever next?

Comment

As was often the case, the accusing child was usually not believed. Even worse, they were told to shut up and say nothing about it, because the shame attached to it was considered to be worse than the offence itself, or that the hassle of dealing with it was too awkward.

Comment

a past 'abuser' of children
                  Come on, Julie, don't pull your punches. Say it if you mean it.

Comment

Meanwhile, there are a lot of idiots out there who went to that auction and purchased all varieties of shit and gold lamé (lame) tat that is now completely fucking worthless. Bet they are sat in their big red chair in their shiny tracksuit and tacky jewelry feeling pretty stupid now.

Comment

I'm amazed that she managed to stay focused for a whole article without wandering too far from the point.

Comment

So is Burchill now OTFicially right about Peel? Because a couple of months ago people were castigating her for that article and having bitchy little pops at me for sharing some (not all) of her opinions about him.

Comment

It's no excuse, obviously, but getting involved with underaged groupies was almost the norm in pop culture in the 60s and 70s wasn't it? Not just for freakish DJs, but for the biggest rock stars of all time and all that. You have to allow for the fact that people talk and believe so much absolute rubbish about public figures, but it seems plenty of Mojo/Uncut cover star faves could find themselves in the same dock as Peel. There do seem to have been more and worse rumours about Savile all along though.

Comment

Anyway, I think these photos from his self-help bible God'll Fix It should see off any comparisons between the church and Radio 1 DJs and our sense that Savile may have had some unfortunate attitudes:

Comment

Burchill is still not 'OTFicially right' about Peel, no-one contradicted the true story about "Schoolgirl of the month" thing and, certainly, no-one was 'castigated'

Peel famously didn't play Pop Will Eat Itself's "Beaver Patrol". He said, it reminded him of his chauvinist past when he and other friends used to drive around in cars shouting the same phrase at girls.

Now, accusations of hypocrisy could and, possibly, were levelled at him at the time but there is an element that he had grown up and realised he was wrong and was not promoting the same actions, arguably in a more enlightened time.

Of course, despite Peel's and Burchill's public statements, there were no charges laid against him. As i understand the Saville case, many of the victims and witnesses have come out since the case was investigated. Nothing has happened similar with Peel.

Of course, if Burchill was that bothered about vulnerable females, she wouldn't suggest shooting prostitutes.

Comment

She hates hypocrites and abusers of women, past or present. As do I.

And this was patiently explained by several people first time round, but only a stupid person would think either of us would literally support any violence against prostitutes; we would like to see an end to prostitution (or at least, not its normalisation) and see women colluding as victims, more than anything. "Sex work" is a sanitising term for a dangerous, exploitative way of making money, usually by selling the bodies of desperate women and children.

Comment

On prostitutes: an artist friend is a former "sex worker", lucky to be alive after numerous beatings, stabbings, rapes, addiction and infection.

She has painted a "heroes memorial" with the names of friends lost on the streets of the West End, mostly through that line of "work". It's heartbreaking.

Comment

I am talking about Burchill. I have no interest in your thoughts or experiences. She endorsed the shooting of prostitutes. Nobody in that initial thread denied that was exactly her position because that was exactly her position. It wasn't metaphotical. Her quote was

When the sex war is won prostitutes should be shot as collaborators for their terrible betrayal of all women.
                                    She is, of course, a hypocrite and an unrepentant one. That has been proved throughout her writing

Comment

Lucia Lanigan wrote: It's no excuse, obviously, but getting involved with underaged groupies was almost the norm in pop culture in the 60s and 70s wasn't it? Not just for freakish DJs, but for the biggest rock stars of all time and all that. You have to allow for the fact that people talk and believe so much absolute rubbish about public figures, but it seems plenty of Mojo/Uncut cover star faves could find themselves in the same dock as Peel. There do seem to have been more and worse rumours about Savile all along though.
                                      Yeah, I think that's right. God knows the rumours about Peel were bad enough, concerning as they did unlawful sexual intercourse while a young man, but Savile is accused of systematic grooming, of rape and of silencing his accusers. For decades. It's worse.

(I still find Burchill's non-sex-related criticisms of Peel in that article kind of ranty and incoherent, but that's scarcely, as it were, germane.)

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: I am talking about Burchill. I have no interest in your thoughts or experiences. She endorsed the shooting of prostitutes. Nobody in that initial thread denied that was exactly her position because that was exactly her position. It wasn't metaphotical. Her quote was

When the sex war is won prostitutes should be shot as collaborators for their terrible betrayal of all women.
                                        She is, of course, a hypocrite and an unrepentant one. That has been proved throughout her writing
                                        You do have a keen interest in my thoughts as you are often referring to them directly or indirectly.

Here we go again with the near/faraway cows. That reference to war and shooting is so obviously a metaphor. Are men and women literally at war with one another? No. I don't think she's ever physically attacked anyone in her life. Nor have I.

Comment

Wyatt Earp wrote:
                                          Originally posted by Lucia Lanigan
                                          It's no excuse, obviously, but getting involved with underaged groupies was almost the norm in pop culture in the 60s and 70s wasn't it? Not just for freakish DJs, but for the biggest rock stars of all time and all that. You have to allow for the fact that people talk and believe so much absolute rubbish about public figures, but it seems plenty of Mojo/Uncut cover star faves could find themselves in the same dock as Peel. There do seem to have been more and worse rumours about Savile all along though.
                                          Yeah, I think that's right. God knows the rumours about Peel were bad enough, concerning as they did unlawful sexual intercourse while a young man, but Savile is accused of systematic grooming, of rape and of silencing his accusers. For decades. It's worse.

(I still find Burchill's non-sex-related criticisms of Peel in that article kind of ranty and incoherent, but that's scarcely, as it were, germane.)
                                          Agree with all, including the last.

There was a lot of it about, and teenyboppers were sexually predatory, although as everyone* points out in the Megan Stammers case, they were still children, legally and emotionally.  Many popstars didn't let that trouble them over much and it was seen as a bit naughty, not as "child abuse" if the girl was physically mature.

Fear of litigation, and social media, may have put paid to that, as much as feminism and changing social mores. 

* some say "she knew full well ... " etc. and accuse her of seducing him and wrecking his career, but the consensus seems to be that on here.

Comment

Yes, there is something in that. Of course, there was a vile 'schoolgirl' fetishisation around then that was very common (like Japan currently) and prevalent in the media. Not excusing anything Peel is accused of if - it were true - but contextualising that, like sexism in general, homophobia and racism, such attitudes were widely held at the time. I suppose I am doing a bit of a "Before sexualising schoolgirls was bad" thing but you know what I mean.

Well, ranty and coherent is her business and business is, unfortunately, good

Comment

So is Burchill now OTFicially right about Peel? Because a couple of months ago people were castigating her for that article and having bitchy little pops at me for sharing some (not all) of her opinions about him.
                                              Were the people doing the castigating the same as the people who are now apparently agreeing, or were they perhaps two entirely different sets of people? Because if they're different people then it's possible that those who aren't toeing the line simply missed the diktat on what we all must think on the matter.

Comment

I'm not sure how; the Cabal's instructions were clear enough.

Comment

Jimmy Savile cunningly hiding his character in plain view, purloined letter style.

Comment

I hope this part is investigated fully now. Theres still some victims here who are still not believed.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/news/2012/10/02/savile-accused-of-abuse-at-haut-de-la-garenne/

http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline_jerseynews/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=501670

Comment

Working...
                                                    X