Four Men Chopping Down The Joshua Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah, that isn't the one I am thinking of...

Basically the Dave, is sat on a chair, and getting all sorts of shit done to him, while he intones the lyric... but, unlike the original version, there is a pseudo-FatBoySlim bass kicking the bejeezus out of what he is blethering on about.

I may have taken far too much x c 199x.

( ) its not the video, but it is rather stonking.

Turn up the bass, boys, bass boys, hit that perfect bass boy... oh dear, I have come over all Bronski!

Comment

G.Man wrote:
      8. City Of Bling Lights
      If only!

Comment

The other thing about Achtung Baby, of course, is that though it marked something of a critical renaissance for U2 at the time, it turned out to be the last generally lauded album they made. They tried to pull the same archly cool trick with Pop, but by that time we were wise to them; and each subsequent album has done little to dissuade us that their best days are spent.

Comment

It's all down to the shades (man!). Once a band (or sometimes even just a band member) starts wearing the old 'permanent sunglasses', they're finished.

Comment

1. Please (single version)
            2. Trying to throw your arms around the world
            3. One tree hill
            4. Love is blindness
            5. Pride
            6. If you wear that velvet dress
            7. Breathe
            8. A sort of homecoming
            9. Some days are better than others
            10. Mysterious ways

I especially like their 90's output. I do keep buying their new albums, because even though they are clearly not going to be as great as Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree, there is always at least one track that is worth the purchase (such as Breathe from their latest album).

Comment

evilC wrote:
              make me think of Sylvester
              I taut I taw a a Paddy twat.*

*I'm not sure about this. If anyone complains, I'll remove it.

Comment

Applause, GO.

Comment

Not a big U2 fan; but
                  1. Gloria
                  2. I will Follow

er that's it , did they do anymore after those, I fell asleep?

Comment

Not sure about the order but my 5 star rated U2 tracks....

So Cruel
                    The Fly
                    One Tree Hill
                    Mothers Of The Disappeared
                    Where The Streets Have No Name
                    All I Want Is You
                    The Unforgettable Fire
                    Stay Faraway, So Close
                    The Wanderer

Comment

Bono's cousin is one of my wife's best friends, she stayed with us for four days this week. I plied her with Chardonnay in an attempt to get inside gossip, but without success.

The only thing I gleaned is that at his home in the South of France he has a Michelin starred chef on duty 24 hours a day. So if you wake up at 3 a.m. with a hankering for a Steak Diane, or a Lobster Thermidore, you dial 7 and the on-call chef will knock it up for you.

Sinead mentioned this while munching through the oven chips that I had managed to burn.

Comment

A Dubliner mucker of mine used to do landscape gardening at Bono's palatial Dublin gaff, though the bombastic bell-end was rarely there, so little gossip to report.

Comment

Someone really ought to TradeMark 'bombastic bell-end'. Fantastic.

Comment

I've never thought about a U2 top ten in my life before so here goes...

Promenade

A Sort of Homecoming

The Unforgettable Fire

New Years Day

In God’s Country

Mothers of the Disappeared

Zoo Station

So Cruel

Tryin to Throw Your Arms Around the World

Stay (Faraway So Close)

No particular order except for the first on the list, which is my favourite U2 song by a (God's Country) mile. It seems strange because the song sounds and feels like it's not finished, and yet that somehow adds to its appeal.

Promenade

As Alan Partridge would say, it's the song that 'Bad' could've been.

Comment

1. Miss Sarajevo (yeah, I count it)
                              2. The Wanderer
                              3. Stay (Faraway, So Close)
                              4. Numb
                              5. Lemon
                              6. The Fly
                              7. Mysterious Ways
                              8. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
                              9. Even Better Than The Real Thing
                              10. Zoo Station

Comment

H-man: I love 'A Sort of Homecoming' which is a great start to an album.

Toro: I completely forgot about 'Wild Horses', thanks.

I should point out that my choices were aided by memories, not necessarily songs... but each song resonates as much now, as it did then.

If I picked a top 12 today, 8, maybe 9 would be the same, but there would be some (Heartland and Angel of Harlem) which would replace a couple of fillers which mean little, but make me feel LOTS. I even got the wife into U2 after explaining 'bombastic bell-end'.

After I removed him from biting the carpet, I played him 'An Cat Dubh', and he shut the fuck up for about two minutes, and his only comment (as it went through 'Into the Heart' and kicked into 'Out of Control') was: ' Where have you been hiding this? '

We danced... oh how we danced. Ok, basically, I cant, and he can, so I pogo'ed, and he laughed at me. Whilst doing what he does. I really dont understand dancing. (Especially to U2... like Lloyd Cole, you cant dance to it)

Comment

Smallcaps wrote:

9. Some days are better than others
                                  I must admit I'm not familiar with that one. Don't suppose it goes to the same tune as "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" by The Smiths?

Thought not, never mind.

Comment

meregreen wrote:
                                    it's been all downhill since Boy for me.
                                    Boy was great (still love An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart), October a bit disappointing, then it turned to shit.

Fast forward two years to the only time I saw them and my sole recollection was of Bono marching around the stage waving a flag while singing Sunday Bloody Sunday. Even at that early stage the Jesus complex had kicked in and the world was going to be put to rights whether it liked it or not.
                                    Saw them at the Caird Hall in Dundee when War came out. They were horrific.

Comment

Back in 81-82 my best mate's younger sister and a few of her friends used to regularly go into London to watch U2. This was the time they often appeared with The Alarm, and it all sounded like a lot of good, raw, simple fun.

How time change eh?

Comment

I saw the Alarm 11 times, thanks to U2. They were fun and funny. Serious hair, serious pose, and seriously bad clothing.

That aside, much love for '68 Guns' which takes bombastic a whole other route.

Comment

I saw The Alarm when they were called either "Weekend" or " The Graduates". The name that wasnt theirs belonged to an early version of "Tears For Fears". They both played consecutive saturdays in a Sunderland nightclub in the late 70s (?), both were shite.

U2: I probably like 30 of their songs. A top 10 wouldnt contain anything from their first three albums which I think are shite. I always liked their first "UK"? single "11 oclock tick tock" which I first heard when Peel playing it a few times, I seem to remember him prefering its B side.

1. Miss Sarajevo
                                          2. One
                                          3. Even Better Than The Real Thing.
                                          4. Zoo Station.
                                          5. Hold Me Kiss Me Kill Me Thrill Me.
                                          6. When Love Comes To Town
                                          7. 11 Oclock Tick Tock
                                          8. A Sort Of Homecoming
                                          9. The Fly
                                          10. Mysterious Ways

Comment

Not sure about the 'first UK single' thing, but a very fine song, live and on record.(11 o'clock)

Your TFF thing: The Graduates rings a bell in avery early interview. Not that important. (Fucking adore 'Pale Shelter', 1st 12" I bought (same day as 'OOh To Be Aah'))

Strangely, it (11 o'clock) wasn't on an album other than the 'Red Rocks' thing. And the several greatest hits.

I saw the Alarm supporting Big Country twice (yes, I had to believe my own eyes), and both times they were better than the other act. Which isnt saying too much, but I was 18, and it was cold beer, and bouncing around a gig. They were ok.

Big Country were strange. They got the crowd going mental with not very much. They had fewer chords than Status Quo. (ducks)

Comment

Graduate was the name of the band Curt Smith and Roland Orzabal were in before they formed Tears for Fears.

Anyway, I can't be bothered to do a U2 top 10, but 'The Unforgettable Fire' is their best song.

Comment

No particular order, I love: I Will Follow, Vertigo, Gloria, One, WOWY, and New Year's Day, which I will always associate with a snowy Leningrad (as it was then) and being madly in love. My Russian husband was mad about U2.

I love The Edge's guitar sound, generally.

I haven't met any of them, although I know several members of the Irish Music Mafia.

Comment

The Unforgettable Fire is far and away their best song. I really wish they retained some of that moodiness in that and over most of that album, but next up was the Joshua Tree and it wasn't to be.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X