John Peel Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Peel Day

Ha, well spotted Jon. It's definitely not the French cover, which looks like this :

They probably just picked a cool album and a country at random, unlucky for them that for this particular record France was the only country where the cover was radically different. How can someone who has no interest in music snobbery make a film about music snobbery etc etc

Comment

John Peel Day

I'd be surprised if someone hasn't tried to buy the TOTP brand for a chain of theme pubs with large gift shops.

Comment

John Peel Day

Bored of Education wrote:

Strummer and the Clash probably wanted to project an idea that they got all their musical education from tape swapping and pirate radio or something but I guarantee that they avidly watched TOTP as kids (at that time in the winter, that was we could do as kids) and were denying their fans in similar situations the same opportunities. I didn't care, it left more space on TOTP for Kim Wilde
        And also we wouldn't have witnessed this piece of over literal interpretation by Legs And Co (scroll down and click on the video link with Steve Wright).

http://legsandco.blogspot.com/2011/0...nk-robber.html

Comment

John Peel Day

I like that song and prefer seeing that interpretation of it as opposed to Strummer's gurning

Comment

John Peel Day

Wish I hadn't been offline for the past few days because I like the Clash, loved John Peel and still miss TOTP.

The Clash claimed that the reason they didn't appear on TOTP because they thought the show was rubbish. Nothing overtly political apparently.

Someone earlier mentioned Peel not playing much chart music. He said he didn't play much chart stuff because that material was played all day long on Radio 1.

Comment

John Peel Day

I dreamt about the Clash last night, I was telling Joe Strummer the names of all their albums whilst we were swimming in an outside pond (not pool).

I could remember only the first album, GTER, and Sandinista, but then, I was asleep.

Comment

John Peel Day

Back on topic, there are, or have been, numerous John Peel tribute events going on everywhere, which is great, but some are charity events, and some aren't; it's not always made clear.

Comment

John Peel Day

Purves Grundy wrote:
                  They appeared on TISWAS at least once, but no footage survives. I once read an interview with Strummer in which he was asked why they would appear on one but not the other. "Because TISWAS was cool", he replied. Which on the one hand is unarguably true.
                  I won a signed copy of 'Give 'em Enough Rope' in a Tiswas competition. Sold it for a quid - nobody believed the signatures were real.

Comment

John Peel Day

Wow! Did Chris Tarrant and/or Sally James do that thing of pulling you up from beneath the desk by your ears?

Comment

John Peel Day

Hang on, are people here claiming that Tiswas was cool? I would say The Clash displayed an eminently sensible attitude, not wishing to patronise that wearing melange of pie fights and witless japery.

Comment

John Peel Day

Not that I can stand The Clash either, mind. Top of the Pops was better off without them.

Comment

Working...
                        X