Clear All

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

Full fixture list here

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

Barca-Atleti, gero has lucked out.

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

WOOHOO... that will have to do. (Although I would have preferred the Espanyol fixture that day to have been in Barcelona... Espanyol v Real Madrid))

Anyone fancy this, or are the Espanyol fans not allowed to set foot in the Camp Nou?

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

Sounds like a goodie to go to - may well try to go to that one if poss ... remind me nearer the time if you're up for it ...

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

I will be up for it... and if its on the Sunday, I have a birthday (5th*) thrown in for good measure.

*5th of October

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

bloody hell, the 5th of october!

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

I KNEW someone would comment on that... will edit.

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

Who is the new coach at Valencia?

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

Unai Emery, ex-Almeria

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

Thank you for the welcome here, I am looking forward to discussing futbol espanol with everyone.

The schedule makers did not do many clubs a favour. Most will have to play in consecutive weeks (in this order): Sevilla, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Villarreal!

Some more transfer news:
                      -Alexander Hleb to Barcelona to fill the vacancy left by Ronaldinho;

-Sebastien Squillaci, the sometimes French international centerback to Sevilla from Lyon;

-Jaime Gavilan from Valencia to Getafe. The latter also are close to signing Roberto Soldado from Real Madrid.

In national team news, it is official now, Vicente del Bosque will be Spain's new coach. A good move in my view. Del Bosque is a practical coach who knows how to get a group of stars working together.

Spain will play a friendly on 20 August versus Denmark then World Cup qualifying starts two weeks later with a pair of home games, on 6 September in Albacete against Bosnia & Hercegovina and 4 days later in Murcia versus Armenia. Spain's main qualifying rival likely will be Turkey which based on their Euro 2008 form should set up quite a pair of home and away matches!

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

Am I the only one who Alexandr Hleb leaves a little cold ?

I mean, nothing against his excellent technique and stuff, I've just never really found him a player with much character or drive, more the sort of player who plays well when Arsenal play well but can't turn games in which they are toiling.

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

No, I would agree with pretty much every word of that.

I also don't think that Barca is buying him to turn games around.

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

I only saw him in highlights when he was playing in the Bundesliga, but he seemed to be a star player in a fairly mediocre Stuttgart side, and their main attacking threat.

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

bollocks. the weekend of 23rd oct i was hoping to go over as its first weekend of Half Term, as they move the games at short notice i could fly back from barca on the monday or tuesday, but away at mallorca

may go to that

will see closer to xmas

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

Lodzubelieveit wrote:
                                Guiza starts to adapt to life in another country in a cosmopolitan, Reyes-esque fashion ... He'll be complaining about the weather within a month, the food within two, shopping hours by December, and will have returned home to Jerez in time to eat his grapes on New Year's Eve ...
                                Did he bring his girlfriend with him? I seen her stripping down to her underwear on a Spanish tv chat show once, don't know if she'd get away with that on Turkish television. I forget her name but she had a nice body anyway and thats what matters.

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

Clubs like Barcelona should be buying attacking players who can turn games themselves though, that's the level they operate at.

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

For the past few years, Barca have arguably had too many of those players, which accounts for their frequent descent into something resembling a "half court offense" in basketball, in which every one stands around and watches the guy with the ball try to drive to the net/dribble the ball into the goal by himself. We will see if offloading Ronaldinho, Deco and Giovanni at one go is too much, but I see Hleb as a useful complement to Xavi and Iniesta, and believe that the real new attacking threat will come for Alves.

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

Interesting. On the occasions I see Barcelona they appear the opposite - a technically strong team with shape and intrictate passing which looks pretty but with the exception of Messi doesn't inflict the sort of damage on opponents their talents suggest they should.

Agree on Alves though.

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

I too am not sure why a team that has xavi and iniesta would want in a player like hleb, particularly when you are trying to replace the incisivenes that was lost when deco and ronaldinho went down the rabbit hole sometime in late 2006.

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

Atleti are on a pre-season tour of Mexico. They lost at the weekend 1-0 to Pueblo and by the same score again last night to Cruz Azul. Brief highlights are available on Cruz Azul's website. The quality isn't particularly good but that's a pretty poor goal to be conceding. I'm always unsure what the goalkeeper's reaction should be in those circumstances when they're clearly anticipating a touch on the ball from an attacker, still...

http://www.cruz-azul.com.mx/d_prensa...a16070800.html

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

The rumour doing the rounds this evening seems to be of Barcelona's interest in Robinho ...

Meanwhile, Sevilla have presented Sebastien Squillaci as their newest signing. Again, a player I don't know much about - would him and Escude be a good pairing? Is his nickname Toto??

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

If this doesn't convince you, then what will?

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

I'm surprised they didn't put the other guy in green and white striped trunks . . .

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

Lodzubelieveit wrote:
                                                  ... Meanwhile, Sevilla have presented Sebastien Squillaci as their newest signing. Again, a player I don't know much about - would him and Escude be a good pairing? Is his nickname Toto??
                                                  Yes Squillaci is a pretty good defender, he was on that Monaco team which made the 2004 Champions League Final, I even recall him scoring against Real Madrid that year when Monaco knocked my club out of the tournament. He's been with Lyon the last few years and has been a sub with France who inexplicably was left on the bench by Raymond Domenech during Euro 2008 but then again most of Domenech's decisions are pretty inexplicable!

I think Sevilla signing him is a sign the club feel Javi Navarro, who missed all of last season and is in his mid 30's, may not make it back from injury and the club are not convinced that Colombia's Aquivaldo Mosquera is the answer at centerback either. With Escude, Dragutinovic, Fazio and now Squillaci they seem to have central defense well covered.

At my local whenever we see Squillaci come on the field we call him Toto, I don't know if he's popularly called that though!

Comment

Futbol Espanol 2008-09

Yeah, plenty of options at centre back, even with the talismanic Javi Navarro crocked. Personally, I'd go with the following line-up:

Palop

Konko - Escude - Squillaci - Fernando Navarro

Navas - Renato - Fazio - Capel

Kanoute - Luis Fabiano

... and there are plenty of alternatives available in the squad, in all departments, with the likes of De Sanctis, Drago, Crespo, Adriano, Maresca, Romaric, Acosta and Cheva-cheva-cheva-chevantooon all ready to come in, so it's a well-compensated squad. Arguably the best pair of wingers in European football, and I think Fazio could start to make an impression, possibly in a defensive midfield role, this time round.

I'm not convinced yet about Manolo Jimenez, though - I think he needs to prove himself that he can really handle managing a big, potentially trophy-winning team. Plus, without OTF-favourite Javi Navarro, there's perhaps a lack of strong personality and on-field leadership there - a void that someone will have to fill ...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X