HIGNFY tonight - Louise Mensch trounced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first time I was aware of Louise Mensch as an MP was just before the last election when she was interviewed about why she was a conservative and she said something roughly along the lines of it being because the conservative party was the party of sunshine and happiness.

I thought she was a couple of slices short a full loaf to be honest.

Comment

To be fair, the sight of anti-capitalism protesters queuing up for a coffee outside of an outlet a major world corporation is exactly the type of situation you'd expect Merton and Hislop to poke fun of themselves.

In this instance, they were just waiting for an excuse to sink their teeth into an MP guest. Which is what they do.

To be honest, I don't know why the politicians go on HIGNFY. Maybe in their own little world they think they perform well.

Comment

hobbes wrote:
        As Robin Ince tweeted:-

"The Thoughts of L Mensch. If prisoners are so upset about their conditions, why do they still use the toilets?"
        I'm sure if they had the choice to leave the prison and use better toilets they would do so.

You can easily buy coffee from a locally run place instead of Starbucks.

Comment

In the London's The City?! No. You. Can. Not.

I didn't think they were even harsh on her, it was just a stupid - and most of all unfunny - thing to say. On a comedy programme that's supposed to value wit and satire, of course you're going to come a cropper if you say something like that.

Comment

Pointing out that anti-capitalist protesters are lining up for a Starbucks has its merits and comedy value. The first time she said it they let her get away with it.

The problem is she kept repeating it over and over and said how it showed how great capitalism is... and generally turned into a raving Tory. And then they had a go at her. Fair enough.

But if it's a comedy show then I don't see why they keep inviting humorless politicians. On the other hand, if it's a show for hanging politicians out to dry then I don't see why the politicians keep showing up. It mystifies me a bit really.

Comment

To be fair, the sight of anti-capitalism protesters queuing up for a coffee outside of an outlet a major world corporation is exactly the type of situation you'd expect Merton and Hislop to poke fun of themselves.

yeah but the way she said it was awful. she demanded to be verbally battered

Comment

tratorello will probably be better placed to analyse this but the her mistake was that she was trying to push a party line and she wasn't funny enough. Pointing out anti-capitalists drinking at Starbucks is a "You don't see white dogshit anymore" point. It's a wry observation, that is all, not biting satire. She had nothing to follow it up apart from Tory pablum.

If there is anything that isn't going to work on HIGNFY, it is people on there to promote their book/film/political manifesto dressed in a bit of pat PR. That was Mensch's mistake.

To be honest, I don't know why the politicians go on HIGNFY. Maybe in their own little world they think they perform well.
                Boris Johnson and Charles Kennedy may disagree with you there. They played the part in being Merton and Hislop's straight men (or, in Johnson's case, mental man)

Comment

I also think that it is a shame that, in the week when Alison McGovern made one of the most powerful speeches in the House of Commons to empty green seats, Louise Mensch gets ten times the publicity, whether good or bad, for being a Tory poster girl with a death mask grin

Comment

Bryaniesta wrote:
                    Pointing out that anti-capitalist protesters are lining up for a Starbucks has its merits and comedy value. The first time she said it they let her get away with it.

The problem is she kept repeating it over and over and said how it showed how great capitalism is... and generally turned into a raving Tory. And then they had a go at her. Fair enough.

But if it's a comedy show then I don't see why they keep inviting humorless politicians. On the other hand, if it's a show for hanging politicians out to dry then I don't see why the politicians keep showing up. It mystifies me a bit really.
                    I think all the politicians must think it will have the Boris Johnson effect on their careers.

Comment

I listen to the News Quiz a lot and the Starbucks comments would not have been out of place there at all. But they just have comedians on there.

HIGNFY is a wholly different beast, even though it is basically the TV version of the News Quiz, as guests are often there to be sneered at by Hislop. I, too, wonder why politicians go on there (or why manufactured pop stars go on Buzzcocks) but I think Harry provides the answer.

No-one has mentioned it, but I think Mensch was right to call out Alexander Armstrong and the rest on the 'bit of a shagger'/'bit of a slag' comparison, when talking about the Lib Dem politician and the Russian spy and Armstrong, at least, looked slightly shameful.

Comment

Sam: Could you say more about this international iPlayer of which you speak? Via PM if necessary. Ta

Comment

Pointing out that anti-capitalist protesters are lining up for a Starbucks has its merits and comedy value.
                          No it doesn't. A beyond-stupid, shit and worthless political point and a beyond-stupid, shit and unfunny joke.

Comment

The book of hers I read was shit as well. Not a single wank-worthy page for a supposed bonkbuster.

Comment

If only more literary critics cut to the chase as you've done so admirably there Eggchaser

Comment

* struggled to raise half a daftie

through to

***** got the sheets wringing wet throwing myself about the room

Comment

"daftie"?!

Comment

ad hoc wrote:
                                    Sam: Could you say more about this international iPlayer of which you speak? Via PM if necessary. Ta
                                    Certainly. I'll send a PM forthwith, although you may be a little underwhelmed by its contents...

Comment

Harry, it's what the cool kids are calling a purple-headed battering ram these days.

Anyways. Alternate thread title - Mensch ärgere Dich nicht.

Comment

I listen to the News Quiz a lot and the Starbucks comments would not have been out of place there at all. But they just have comedians on there.

HIGNFY is a wholly different beast, even though it is basically the TV version of the News Quiz, as guests are often there to be sneered at by Hislop. I, too, wonder why politicians go on there (or why manufactured pop stars go on Buzzcocks) but I think Harry provides the answer.

I thought that as I sometimes feel a little embarrassed/irritated when a politician turns up a guest panellist. Embarrassed that they're going to be easy meat for the rest of the panel and irritated by their very presence, sometimes suspecting that they want to present themselves in some positive light with some in-on-the-joke kind of attitude, and that they can take some joshing like the rest of them. More annoyingly is when some - like Lembit Opik, for example - do a 'star turn' or try and be an entertainer. Yuck. Grumpy I may sound, but the buggers have done so much to turn our lives into shit that they then think they can turn up on a quiz show and enjoy a good laugh with Hislop and company. Such appearances seem much less 'light-hearted' and much more self-serving and reputation-polishing. Hey, they're just as human as the rest of us, except, perhaps when they're courting big businesses for cash while lobbying, or cosying up to the Murdoch camp.

I prefer the News Quiz approach: comics only, and no MPs looking for love from a chuckling studio audience.

Comment

The show as a whole has taken a severe downturn since the loss of Deayton though. It's increasingly easy to miss and the well worn set-piece routines of Merton (especially) and Hislop are as much of a reason as the increasing stunt booking of guests and hosts.

Comment

Alternate thread title - Mensch ärgere Dich nicht.
                                            I hadn't focused on the meaning of her surname, but now you mentioned it, I had to chase down the little bit of dialogue at 13:38 minutes into this clip:

It doesn't really suit the Corby MP, though.

Comment

The News Quiz take on the Mensch affair (about 14mins in)

Comment

More Mensch news

Comment

Worth resuscitating the thread for

It may be that moving to the US has actually made her stupider.

Comment

Hahahahaha

What a plank.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X