HIGNFY tonight - Louise Mensch trounced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social liberal Tory and relentless self-publicist Louise Mensch was on HIGNFY again tonight, and boy did she get slaughtered. If only it were on i-player and I could post a link to it. She tried to defend Liam Fox, and to ridicule the "Occupy" protesters as losing all credibility by getting coffee at Starbucks. On both counts she was, to put it mildly, a bit of a lightweight when facing the killer wit of Hislop and, to some extent, the others, who basically wiped the floor with her. I suspect that she doesn't often have to deal with people who are that much sharper-witted than she is, and that she realised too late how badly out of her depth she was. She grinned and laughed gamely throughout, to be fair.

Expect her to appear on Strictly within two years.

Comment

Thought she came across as a smug self satisfied bastard with no idea she was well out of her depth.
      Bad luck if she's your MP.
      Mind you, we've got Tim Nice But Dim's less charming idiot brother.

Comment

My sister has one of Liam Fox's mates who went on the freebie to Washington in 2005.

As he puts it, he "believes that as your elected representative, it is his job to be the voice of the Forest of Dean in Westminster, not Westminster’s voice in the Forest of Dean". But a bit of lobbying for American defence interests and Israel first, eh?

Hilariously, he's the minister who would be responsible for introducing a right of recall. Though things are a bit quiet on that front, given that he'd immediately get recalled himself for earlier trying to flog off the forest in the name of his constituency.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
          As he puts it, he "believes that as your elected representative, it is his job to be the voice of the Forest of Dean in Westminster, not Westminster’s voice in the Forest of Dean".
          Small point, and not to detract from the larger dig you were making.. Why would Liam Fox say he was an elected representative for the Forest Of Dean?

Comment

Tubby is saying that his sister has for her MP one of Liam Fox's mates. Presumably the one for the Forest of Dean constituency.

Comment

ah, ta.

It was late, and I was - tired, when I read it.

Comment

Aha - it is is now available on i-player:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b016bz95/Have_I_Got_News_for_You_Series_42_Episode_2/

Well worth a look.

Comment

we were watching the second half of that last night, and she spoke once during the whole time we were watching.

Comment

I think that's because she had already learned her lesson by the half-way point.

Comment

I brought this up on Facebook and was surprised at the level of defensiveness towards Mensch. Some of that was due to a discomfort with the idea of three blokes ganging up on a woman - certainly Hislop is a notorious pigtail-puller. But she does seem to dazzle people across the political spectrum with her supposed brightness. I thought her comments about the protesters were pathetic and she thoroughly deserved to be shot down in flames.

Comment

Yeah, she has below-average intelligence, even for a Tory MP.

In fact, she's the Tories' Oona King - somehow managing to carve out an apparently 'interesting' media persona despite being embarrassingly stupid.

Comment

But she does seem to dazzle people across the political spectrum with her supposed brightness

Of what? her teeth? Her lustrous mane? I understand that it italy it is usual to make a lot of allowances for a female mp because you'd fuck her, but I'm a bit surprised by wingco's friends. She may be pretty, but her questions to murdoch were embarrassingly feeble, and the ride she gets in the media for having a symmetrical face is a very very easy one.

Comment

Mensch has been put forward because the Tory party is short of any kind of showbiz. She's the new Jeffrey Archer in that respect.

However, in view of the fact she got herself elected in Corby (where the "Brown is a Scotch idiot" pitch probably didn't go down as well as in other places) she might have a bit about her in person. She certainly doesn't on TV.

Comment

What an embarassingly fatuous thing to say (not you lot, her). Presumably any eastern bloc anti-communist protester who drank a cup of coffee would have been equally hypocritical for enjoying the spoils of that system.

I say "embarassingly", but as most viewers still think the little people inside the telly are their personal friends, I doubt it'll hurt her "being a bit of a character" career, which politics is presumably a stepping stone toward. I just caught a little Strictly and noticed two former politicos - Widdecombe and Currie - in the audience, there seems to be a special place in the nation's living rooms for Tory women.

Am I the only who finds the grin carved into her face reminiscent of Jack Nicholson's Joker?

Comment

What an embarassingly fatuous thing to say (not you lot, her). Presumably any eastern bloc anti-communist protester who drank a cup of coffee would have been equally hypocritical for enjoying the spoils of that system
                                Yeah, it's like saying "I notice you say you hate social democracy yet you still use the NHS", or "if you hate unions so much why don't you work a 72-hour week"

Actually, there are worse ideas than putting those cunts up chimneys for weeks at a time

Comment

MPs worked 72 hour weeks before the Taff Vale judgement?

Comment

I suppose her appearing on BBC television programmes must mean she'll refrain from criticising the corporation for its left-wing bias, or supporting cuts to its budget. I mean, if you enjoy the spoils of publicly funded, politically balanced broadcasting...

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                                      My sister has one of Liam Fox's mates who went on the freebie to Washington in 2005.
                                      You think that's bad - my parents (and my brother and I until we, erm, moved to other corners of the world) have got Liam Fox.

Or did have.

Comment

Ah, and for anyone who like me can't watch HIGNFY, or indeed anything on iPlayer, I assume this is the bit being talked about (on YouTube).

Comment

That's one of the two sections I was thinking of. Mensch also came off very badly when attempting to play down Fox's misdemeanours.

Comment

Lucia Lanigan wrote:
                                            I suppose her appearing on BBC television programmes must mean she'll refrain from criticising the corporation for its left-wing bias, or supporting cuts to its budget. I mean, if you enjoy the spoils of publicly funded, politically balanced broadcasting...
                                            That's better than the trade union example. Very good.

Comment

Note that they only attacked her after she repeated the line after her first comment failed to get a laugh. Had she only said it once, she might have got away with it.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote:
                                                That's one of the two sections I was thinking of. Mensch also came off very badly when attempting to play down Fox's misdemeanours.
                                                Yeah, I realised that later on last night when, as a result of this thread, I thought I'd have a go at seeing whether HIGNFY was available on a service I'm going to refer to as 'international iPlayer', and discovered it was. So thanks very much for the fact I'll be watching it weekly again from now on! The moment when she realised it'd be better to just shut the fuck up seemed to be almost visible on her face.

Comment

As Robin Ince tweeted:-

"The Thoughts of L Mensch. If prisoners are so upset about their conditions, why do they still use the toilets?"

Comment

Working...
                                                  X